2017 jujube crop

Probably Sherwood.

Thanks. Another guess for Sherwood.

Whatever it is, it tasted OK, a bit dry and spongy to my liking. I prefer crunchy and a bit more juicy like Honey Jar and Sugar Cane. But these are free so I am happy to have them.

2 Likes

Very similar description to my mystery Jujube that appears to be what I think is a Sherwood.

if it is sherwood, it probably isn’t at its prime. Sherwood is crunchy!
other possibilities include xu zhou, ant admire, etc. Xu zhou does get a little spongy when about to turn into a date, especially when ripened at the height of summer here.

may also be some in the RT series from Tennessee

The difference between a great jujubee and so so jujubee…in my experience…unless refrigerated…is 4-5 days

1 Like

The jujubes were bought and brought in from CA. The person who brought them arrived here on 10/20. I got them today, 10-23 . I don’t know how long ago they were picked. They definitely were spongy and chewy.

sponginess is quite a common occurrence among store-bought jujus-- further compromised by transit time sans refrigeration, as @Bhawkins mentioned.

will send you a few stragglers(one last time), if usps botches it again, then there really is a curse/jinx/saboteur over at your usps for packages originating from sin city …

1 Like

Do Jujube have a dormancy requirement? If one were growing it in a climate controlled greenhouse would they keep producing? Thanks.

Drew

they need to undergo dormancy but only the slightest of chilling requirements. 150 hrs is enough as most literature says, and some even claim 100 hrs is good enough… Jujus will not be continuously productive in a greenhouse, but will be productive from july to november in temperate regions with long growing periods(we have given away hundreds of lbs of fruits since july, and still giving away stragglers as i type this)

conversely, even if long winters may not be lethal in northerly latitudes, the trees will not be productive if the growing season is too short and/or grown under shade.

5 Likes

Got my first harvest from my Lang and Li trees this fall. Crisp and fresh off the tree I liked them, but shriveled up a bit… I am a freak for dates and these guys are a dead ringer, right down to the pit. Would love to hear recommendations from more experienced growers on “date-like” jujube cultivars.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. Yeah theses things have me interested for sure!

Drew

2 Likes

you probably will like juju dried dates much more if you get to try dried dates of honey jar and sihong. Soo much better than any halloween candy!

3 Likes

Yes, Sihong fruits that you sent me were remarkably close in taste to a true date. Outstanding!

1 Like

glad you like them. I saw your beautiful orchard and happy to be a part of it somehow, even if just by way of seeds, or budwood, or mere ideas.

2 Likes

Thank you. I am putting together my wishlist for next Spring and will certainly look for that. Thought about Shanx Li as well. Would these do well in Shenandoah Valley 6a/b? Also got my first persimmon from Nikitia’s Gift and it was pretty darn incredible. Sadly dropped all but 1, but maybe next year… (the gardener’s lament!)

Yes, Nikita’s Gift fruits are awesome tasting with real red color, firm, and real sweet without astringency. It tends drop lots of fruits the first 3-4 years for me. Strudeldog mentioned in one of his post that if the NG is pollinated with a male Kaki then it will hold on to its fruits much better.

Tony

you were successful getting lang and li to fruit in your area, so quite likely you’d be able to get honey jar and shanxi li to do the same. I’d say honey jar may prove more productive in your area than your li’s and langs.

sihong is one of our top favorites. While it can be precocious in our area, it is not as productive as other cultivars. Even as mature trees. Still worth a try though, since there’s really nothing to lose.

you’re welcome, and feel free to inquire further, there’s a bunch of us here happy to contribute!

In my opinion, they’re over-ripe.

My colleagues from China would call these “chicken scratch”.

My reaction is: tiny.