Apples we are going to try in 2018

I kept my apple order minimal in 2018. I’m grafting King of the Pippins, Golden Russet, Macoun, and White Winter Pearmain. What did you order?
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1018901
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1021846
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1021865
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1878277

2 Likes

Don’t plan to order any apples, but I will tell you that up here Macoun is a great apple if you like that style, as we do.

2 Likes

Mark,
They do sound really good so I cant wait to try them! The ARS picture is shown below and description says this "Fruit: size medium, W65 x L49 mm; shape flat, rectangular; dark purplish red blush over green background. Firm aromatic white flesh. Drops readily-bruises easily. Medium size, vigorous hardy, spur-type, productive tree. Upright habit, needs training and thinning, biennial. Very resistant to fire blight. Blooms late. Ripens several weeks after McIntosh. One of the highest quality eating apples known. Storage 110 days at 31 degrees F. "
PI_589895

2 Likes

Hoping to limit myself to wickson crab, swayze, old-school golden delicious, maybe egremont and goldrush.several of these died last yr in a rough dry patch

1 Like

Goldrush is bad for getting CAR here but so far Wickson is a strong growing apple.The others i don’t know about. They all sound like good choices.

Badami GD
Bates Lobo
Doud GD
Hunter Sandow
Winter White Pearmain
King David
Blenheim Orange
Bonum
Secor
Maude
Secor and Maude are old Iowa State referrals, the golden delicious’s will be grafted to a Razor Russet, which was a disappointment, and the others were highly praised by other forum members.
Hope to also graft api estoile and some pre modern goldens also.
Should finish setting up the used greenhouse I bought and the churrascaria this week and will then post a scion list.

2 Likes

I have Wickson and egremont if you need them.

1 Like

Mark,
You’re right about “if you like that style” re. macoun. I don’t care for that type of texture. I don’t know how to describe it, not soft. It reminds me of applesauce. I put McIntosh, Macoun in the same category when it comes to texture. The taste is fine. It’s the texture that I don’t like. I prefer crunchy texture. I probably in a minority.

I look to graft a few apples like Reine des Reinette, Swayzie, Arlie Red, etc. Not buying any apple trees, just grafting.

3 Likes

Hi Mamuang,

I’ve had mealy McIntosh, Macoun, and Liberty, and you’re right, firm and crunchy is better. Sometimes these apples are firm and crunchy- but it can be a race to eat them before they change. I don’t know why, but that factor is really variable with those apples. On a good day they’re great! On a not so good day? Not so great!

:-)M

4 Likes

I read when they are ripe they are the best but the window is small like a pear more than an apple. You saw the USDA said they are “ One of the highest quality eating apples known. “ @alan may have additional information about the quality of the apples because I must admit now I’m more curious and second guessing myself. I like the disease resistance of these apples and really don’t want to write them off just yet. Like many fruits it may depend on where they are grown.

1 Like

I use the term density, which Mac types don’t possess. I’m also a fan of denser apples and they tend to be the best keepers. A perfect Macintosh has a great crunch off the tree but if you don’t live in New England you may never taste one that offers that quality. But to my palate, a perfect Macintosh is not as pleasing as a perfect Spitz or Goldrush- both of those have very dense flesh.

4 Likes

This is a lesson I’m slowly learning. My earlier ripening apples seem to vary the most in taste. Good example was Williams pride. The first couple I picked was under or over ripe but the last one was perfect. It is a very good apple if picked at the correct time.

3 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one that feels that way about the Macoun apple and those type of apples. The Macoun has a very short " good" time before it gets that applesauce texture. I’m in Ohio and that is our state apple, for some reason. Sort of disappointing it is our state apple. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Clark,
I am sure whoever wrote that Macoun had “the highest eating quality” really meant it, based on his experience, which could be extensive. It is good to know it has such an accolade.

It just is not my kind of apple because of its texture (not the taste). There several forum members here who rank Macoun very high.

@alan, thanks for the “density” term. It sounds right in this situation. I live in New England and have gone apple picking many times. I’ve tried Mac, Macoun, off the trees. These days, I just walk by those trees. It is safe to say, I am not a big fan of low density apples. By the same token, very dense apples like Arkansas Black is not great (for me) off the tree, either.

@clarkinks, if you like that kind of texture, you will love Macoun and their cohorts.

1 Like

With my Liberties I’ve found that picking them a little early can make for better storage. We’ve been eating them out of the fridge and many of them are still firm, crunch, and very flavorful. Sometimes you might find a few like that in March, if your crop was big enough, but typically they are headed downhill fairly fast by the end of January. Maybe this year I will take some of those and make late applesauce.

2 Likes

Macoun to my taste is one of the finest apples around. Especially right off the tree. Better than Macs or Liberty. Goldrush is one of my favorites, I’m hoping to finally taste a Spitz this year. May get a Esopus Spitz tree if it’s as good as I’ve read.

2 Likes

Hello,

Here are the new varieties that I have on order for 2018 (all on B.118 root stock):
36 - Yarlington Mill
14 - Empire
10 - Golden Russet
3 - Campfield
3 - Harrison
Located in west central Wisconsin
Thanks!

2 Likes

Jeff,
You are a big cider fan! Great choices!

1 Like

Out of curiosity, how did you arrive at the selections and quantity for your cider apples? I know nothing about cider making, and would like to learn the thought process.

Thanks for question. I looked for cider varieties that can grow in colder areas as my farm is located in zone 4. This year I planted 26 Franklin Cider and 10 Virginia Hewes crab apples. Making cider will be a new process for me, just recently purchased a used cider press, bottler, and related equipment. Claude Jolicoeur’s book, The New Cider Maker’s Handbook is an excellent resource for identifying cider varieties.

Thanks
Jeff

2 Likes