Flavor Grenade Pluot

4 Likes

This tree has well over a hundred fruit sets this year. A major thinning will ensue in a week or two!

4 Likes

You’ll have to excuse my ignorance @Richard i cant groq this stuff here. I get a plumcot is a plum/apricot what is a pluot, plum/?. I see you west/southern folks posting them alot but i havent googled it to see.

Pluot is a patented term for interspecific Plum X Apricot.

Oh ok, thanks!

First ripe fruit of the season

13 Likes

Great Fruit. For some reason the birds leave it alone. Retains a good crunch when ripe. Flesh is sweet. Hangs on the tree a long time. Sets huge crop. Steer clear if you dont want to thin.

4 Likes

Before and after pruning. I only removed tall and errant whips. Resulting height is about 6.5 feet.

11 Likes

Crazy, I have a similar sized Flavor Grenade tree and I get a maximum of like 5 fruit a year off of it.

1 Like

In my environment it bears interstem and on fruit spurs. I am following R.S. Martin’s guide for Apricot but heeding the advice for non-top bearers. See the 3 photographed pages at the end of this post:

2 Likes

Wow, that’s quite a difference. How many fruit do you typically get before and after thinning?

This tree has only been in the ground 4 years and I’ve yet to thin fruit. Last season I harvested less than 2 dozen fruits. :slight_smile:

That seems really low. Was it higher in previous years, or was that the first year it produced? Is FG know to be a sparse bearer?

Do you have any other pluots, and if so, how have they done?

At least in my climate, flavor grenade is a heavy bearer. Needs to be heavily thinned or else it will break branches,

1 Like

For my climate it is a young tree. Also, I invest 3-4 years in training trees here because the reward is plentiful. I expect it to bear more in the coming years.

Yes, well-documented for your climate. Congratulations!

Blossoms on our Flavor Grenade Pluot :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

They’re just flowering now?I thought yours should be way ahead of mine.There are tiny fruit-lets on the tree here. Brady

3 Likes

Richard’s is late. Probably from lack of chilling. Socal didn’t have any until March.

5 Likes

Mine is just starting to flower right now as well.

That’s what I was thinking. Chilling makes sense. Just seems weird that my FG bloomed a month ago here in 6B