Free Seeds / Growing Naranjilla

looking great.

1 Like

Yah, looks great,
Should report mine died late winter, I think a root problem

1 Like

I lost mine also with fruit ready to ripen. I left my heater on 90 for a week with out checking.
I have plenty plenty more seeds to share. The fruit is starting to be sold at a grocery in NJ and

Finally, coming along but those thorns tho

:joy: not sure if the bees :honeybee: want to come near it so I am trying to pollinate it myself

6 Likes

Very interesting plant

Omg, with all those thorns, I found stink bugs undersides of those leaves. So, now I have to mulch with crushed up mints and basils on top of the soil. Damn!

1 Like

Blockquote[quote=ā€œCourtney, post:66, topic:13431ā€]
now I have to mulch with crushed up mints and basils on top of the soil.
[/quote]

I am curious, why?

1 Like

arenā€™t they just the cutest little flowers.

1 Like

I figured with thorns, no bugs would bother it but I was dead wrong. The smell of mint and basil keep away the bugs. It works for most of my plants on the deckā€¦I didnā€™t put mints or basils near this thorny thing and apparently, there are a bunch of stink bugs in the underside of the leaves. The flowers are cute!

2 Likes

Fruits! I am keeping this plant as the gatekeeper to my deck since the squirrels are coming for ripe fruits on the deckā€¦hopefully, they get needled before they come on the deck.

5 Likes

I am thinking that a lot of plants do better if inner growing leaves are removed to created better air flow. Those leaves could also make a good bedding for other potted plants.

1 Like

I cut some already and those thorns are not easy. I used them to mulch my cucumber plants. it is best to leave them alone and let them be. Letā€™s just say, the bees and the birds are scared of this plant!

1 Like

my best friends.

https://www.amazon.com/Adecco-LLC-Stainless-tweezer-precision/dp/B01MQQCSS0/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=long+twizzers&qid=1566573157&s=gateway&sr=8-15

1 Like

Lol I actually use chopsticks to move the chopped leaves around but I have been the ā€œbeeā€ for this thing so Iā€™m feeling the pain.

1 Like

I really dont think the bees have a problem finding the flowers. I think you can leave that to them in the future.

1 Like

Did you harvest ?

No, i guess it is still growing; it needs a longer growing season. The fruits are still green. I brought the thing inside and gives it lightsā€¦I got poked numerous timesā€¦it took me awhile to get the thorns out of fingersā€¦

5 Likes

They fell off the plant.

Does anyone still have seeds available? Iā€™d like to give them a try, and have a greenhouse where I can over-winter them. Those thorns look terrifying, though lol.