Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

Mark,
The thing is, besides pawpaws, I have never grown any fruit tree that grows this slowly. I cannot graft on my last year’s jujubes as tgey have a few puny branches, not enough to amount to anything. But my trees were small to begin with.
Maybe, others may have more growth on their jujubes.

1 Like

I’m over achieving by having new trees and growing seeds. I’m planning on the big koolaid stand.

4 Likes

I think there are some people that have invested in the koolaid company… I also have to admit to trees and seeds!

3 Likes

I put 3 in the 4" rootmakers, and some in 5-gal boxer bags. I am hoping the juju are pretty drought-tolerant (my weakness in small pots is failing to water) but also that the pots/bags let the roots warm much faster if put on the south side of the house–tomatoes in bags grew way faster than those in the garden, certainly.

1 Like

I kill the one seedling I have had with wet soil.

Ha ha ha! I’m looking forward to some photos and updates from everyone! And kool-aid recipes!

1 Like

Ha. All that love (mostly the humor, though) got to me…I’m in the handful that planted SC and HJ this year, so if I can get any scion off a 10 year old tree then I’ll send you some. Just remind me. This whole thread has been really fun, what with all the “kool-aid” references and such. Our little Ju-Jube club is the best sub-group on Growing Fruit! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I have 1.5 feet growth of SC last year, but not much on HJ. My HJ produced around 30 edible fruits, but SC only produced 1. I think I should give HJ more energy on growing instead of fruiting.

2 Likes

I have found they do not like wet…in fact I have had to tell my hubby “No More Watering!” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

There is a Koolaid thread too with some pictures…I don’t know how to link to it…

1 Like

Most of fruit trees do not like their feet wet. It would apply to seedling, too, I guess. I underestimated the potting soil I used. It held water too well. Lesson learned.:frowning:

2 Likes

A caterpillar got one of mine…even girdled the trunk!

Katy

1 Like

Seeds (spiny juju) are very cheap at treeseeds

2 Likes

curious what larva ate it. Where we’re at, pill bugs will do the same thing to seedlings, but for some reason, will not touch suckers from old rootstoc

1 Like

He used to look similar to this one:

(forest tent caterpillar…supposedly taking over East Texas)

But now he looks like this one:

5 Likes

violence erupts, and hell hath no fury…

on a serious note, i hope these 'pillars find the foliage of older jujus more unpalatable.

our seedlings seem to be vermin-magnets (apart from sowbugs, as roaches seem to like them too).
foliage of older trees seem relatively immune to insects/larvae, and only fall victim to leaf-cutter bees and the occasional locust

3 Likes

That was a little gross but a whole lot of funny! haha. Be careful, though, some animal rights person will condemn your cruelty and violence. haha. Talk about something just being a greasy spot on the road! Well done, K8

3 Likes

Too funny. The fact is though, animal rights people are just like us, but they just drink another flavor of kool aid. When they drink ours, they’ll see the light. :blush:

3 Likes

Lets see the trees…

Honey Jar from Edible Landscaping

Katy

6 Likes

Noooooo! So much damage for such a small critter, Kate!

So happy to see your new HJ from EL is looking so fabulous!
Hooray! :smiley:
And thanks for the tip on not watering too much!

I totally agree! We are the BEST! :grin:

4 Likes