If you could only have 2 fruits to eat the rest of your life what would they be?

@clarkinks perhaps you should have added the stipulation that the fruit has to be one you can grow in your zone. In that case, I think I would choose strawberries and peaches. If growing zone were not an obstacle, I would choose mango and pineapple. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

yellow raspberries are yellow because they have less anthocyanin levels due to a mutation in an enzyme needed for anthocyanin production (anthocyanidin synthase); anthocyanins are anti-oxidants.

many yellow have only red parents (anne is amity x glen gerry, fall gold is NH-R7 x Taylor x Rubus pungens, Kiwi Gold is a yellow sport of Heritage) but somehow develop a mutation in this enzyme and become yellow in spite of red parents.

reduced anthocyanins does not mean no anthocyanins and they are very sweet and our kids favorite by far, but it makes sense why black raspberries are so rich in anthocyanins and yellows are reduced at the other end of the specturmā€¦

3 Likes

why i try and add aronia into all my baking recipes and jams. need to grow more black raspberries.

5 Likes

Blueberries and persimmons, given a strategy is in place to avoid bezoars. I would have to drink Coca Cola more than once a year to curb that danger.

4 Likes

If it can include any variety, apples. Boring answer I know, but I eat one almost every day and havenā€™t gotten tired of them yet.

And bananas. But not just any bananas, the ā€œminimoā€ variety grown around Cerro Guanacaure, Honduras where I lived in the Peace Corps. Similar to grocery store bananas but smaller and much tastier. Another fruit I could eat every single day.

6 Likes

Of things I can actually grow.

For taste nectarines and sweet cherries.

For health blueberries and citrus.

11 Likes

Mangoes and avocados! Both are filling/satisfying fruit that fill very different types of craving.

I would settle for peaches or nectarines in place of mangoes, to stick with things that can be grown semi-locally, but if I could get a box of peak season mangoes from the tropics delivered weekly then I would never tire of them!

9 Likes

Blueberries and oranges for me!

3 Likes

Mango/Peach absolutely!!!

3 Likes

I really love about ALL fruit. When I lived in south Florida for 6 years, it was hard to NOT love a tree ripened mango, i could eat myself sick on those. Now living back in Michigan my favourite fruit is a apple from my wild ā€œRoadsideā€ apple tree.

6 Likes

Raspberries and Tomatoes.

If tomatoes donā€™t count, then nectarines or pluots.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s for 2 lbs of pineapple, a whole fruit. If you take it down to a comparable serving, not so impressive.

2 Likes

1 plums
2 blueberries

2 is tough, I had to think a bit. Pretty much all stone fruits and berries if Iā€™m allowed to broaden on fruits :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

This is very tough.

I need to whittle down to 2 from:
Mango, Sugar apples (ā€œsitaphalā€), Sapodilla (Chikoo) but specific (probably unnamed) cultivars I ate as a child, lychee, watermelon, sugarcane, and cara Cara oranges.

Hmmmā€¦. I didnā€™t answer the question correctly :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s easy.Mango and Cherry flavored Pez.
cherry pez

6 Likes

Peaches/Nectarines and Mangoes by far!

4 Likes

Sweet cherries, pluots, apricots a close 2nd!

4 Likes

My vote too

5 Likes

Peaches and Mangos are top tier, but also similar niche. And peaches are pretty locked in season.

I think Iā€™ve got to put apples as one because there can be good ones available year round.

Then maybe plums/pluots.

7 Likes
  1. durian
  2. (distant second) several ā€œsecond placeā€ but if I had to choose one, probably starfruit.

Durian, as long as itā€™s the right variety, is the only one that could give me partial tunnel vision when eating.

If limited to north American fruits, Iā€™d choose plums and oranges. :grin:

4 Likes