If you could only have 2 fruits to eat the rest of your life what would they be?

If i had to pick two for myself it would definitely be:
Malus domestica “groninger kroon”.

Such a great big juicy, slightly acidic apple. Great producer also for my region.

European plum: Prunus Domestica “jubileum”.

One of the biggest euro plums i know. Basically and improved version of Victoria( on steroids). Sweet and sour, and soooooo juicy. Im thinking of cutting down all my plum varieties just for this one!

5 Likes

Avocado is a fruit, but to me it’s a vegetable. As far as sweet fruit, mango and Morus nigra black mulberry

5 Likes

I pretty much eat an apple every day until stone fruit starts coming into season. So I would have to put apple in there as my first choice. Then second I would probably choose nectarine/peach. Runner up goes to pluots.

2 Likes

@tubig

You will enjoy this post Fascinating facts about fruit, mushrooms and other things that impact us in the fruit industry . A lot goes into raising exceptional durian. Many people like me have a tough time getting past the smell. The expensive durian dont smell like that. Soil, water, age of tree, climate are all factors that impact the quality of durian.

3 Likes

I’ll go with apples and raspberries since they’re the most reliable producers here.

6 Likes

Nectarines and Watermelons.

7 Likes

Blueberries and euro pears

5 Likes

Peach and watermelon, citrus a close 3rd

4 Likes

Good luck eating a whole durian to get that tho haha. Surprisingly seems like a relatively weak nutrition profile broken down to a serving size. Interesting that the smell is determined on a lot of factors tho

5 Likes

Mango, avocado

7 Likes

If stranded on a desert island, dates and more dates.

6 Likes

Bruh. I’m so addicted to dates so I don’t buy them because I’ll just gorge myself on them. I haven’t had a ton of variety but those that I have Degleet noor reign king

6 Likes

…then, for more variety, dates and coconuts.

4 Likes

Depends on if we are talking about grocery store or growing as that changes a lot for me. If we are going grocery store I would say sweet cherries and peaches. If growing in my area I would be say apricot and mulberry. I hear it is hard to beat a grocery store cherry and despite growing cherries for 3 years with this being my 4th year I am still yet to taste one and same with my peaches. They have either not fruited at all or have had a late frost the nipped the blossoms off. I know CSU recommends against cherry in the front range and I can see why. With apricot there is the ability to get one with a later bloom and some are double use so I can eat the apricot and then eat the pit on a sweet pit apricot and supposedly it tastes like a almond. Plus I think apricot are often self fertile. For mulberry they are wind pollinated, there are varieties that produce all season and they often are the best worlds of both a blackberry and a raspberry in my opinion. The mulberry has also been a fruit that has produced while my other fruit have not. Both apricot and mulberry are not something I need to have with other fruit to fully enjoy. A lot of the food I eat has peppers in it and onions in it but I often have to combine it with stuff to make it good.

4 Likes

Peaches and nectarines have a longer season than apples. I understand living in Oregon you like apples, but the fruit quality of apples is far less than any of the above mentioned fruits, by far. We really like Pink Lady apples, our best apple here, but they are not even close to peaches, nectarines, sweet cherries. pluots, mangoes, apricots, plums, figs, or even citrus.If you want to come taste any of these fruits we are in Orangevale Ca, one of the best areas to grow all these fruits.

3 Likes

Thing is even if apples have a shorter season they store way longer than any stone fruit could hope to store. You may be able to store the nut part of the sweet apricots but an apple can store for a year in some cases. In general grocery store apples store for 8 months and I think Stark Bros claims their Super Red Fuji they used to sell stores for a year. If you had an orchard of Super Red Fuji that allowed you to harvest enough to eat all year you could store it and never have to worry about it. Taste is subjective. You name mangos but I have never been big on mangos and never go for it. I have tried mango in tropical places like Dominican Republic and here in CO and found joy in neither of them. The only citrus I use is mandarin, Cara Cara oranges, limes and lemon. Limes and lemon I use to make other flavors more pungent and I would never bother with a mandarin or Cara Cara if I had the choice between them and a peach, cherry, apricot or pluot or nectarine. Pluots I need to over ripen for them to be good. If I get a bunch of pluot from the store and let them sit on the counter for 2-3 weeks when they start to wilt then they gain the sweetness I crave. Of your list I would go peaches, sweet cherries, apricots, pluots, nectarines, apples, plums, citrus, mangos and then never tried a fig other than in fig newtons to show how different my list is to yours. Heck my mother has a apple every day.

3 Likes

I think this is one of those Alan situations. I’m talking about eating fruit, not just fruit I’ve grown.

I can’t get outstanding peaches or mangoes where I live. Imported or grown. I’ve had good enough ones to understand what you mean when you say they are at another level compared to apples. But most of the time I can get better apples than I can get mangoes or peaches. Even head to head.

I’d love to visit sometime and try some of the great fruit from your region vetted by somebody who knows about fruit.

I can picture all of the fruits you list as getting significantly better than very good apples, except maybe cherries. For some reason I don’t get super excited about them.

4 Likes

I am also shocked at the sweet cherry responses. Grapes and Cherries are definitely my last picks of fruit. I don’t dislike them it’s just as you said nothing I get excited about. Very difficult to beat a great mango tho. While I answered “blueberries and mandarins” that was going off a heath answer, avocados almost made the cut. However taste wise, mangos and mangos would have been my answer haha

5 Likes

I’d bet most people haven’t had a perfectly ripe mango, because until a few years ago I was one of them. Always rock hard grocery store mangos, didn’t realize I needed to shelf ripen them. Also I’ve never had any actually good varieties just like Glenn? and Manilla? from the grocery store. Even still when they are ripe, they are the best tasting fruit imo

5 Likes

Aronia is packed with goodies. Who grows it? Is it edible raw?

3 Likes