King David or something else?

This is the remainder of my King David fruit that was grafted in last year. These are really good tasting apples but I’m confused due to it ripening so early.

6 Likes

I stand corrected. Century Farm list it to ripen in late August.

3 Likes

What a timely thread. I noticed a few fruits on a dwarf tree the other night. I will watch for them now.

2 Likes

You must be way in the south. King David in southern Wisconsin ripens early October. One of my favorites. I see it available at some of the really big orchards in the Kickapoo valley. The orchard I worked at so many years ago only had one tree and it was my favorite to sit under during lunch time. Back then apple trees were big enough to sit under not like today when they are growing apples on wire and only 4’ apart commercially. Reminds me more of growing grapes than apples.

2 Likes

My original confusion about it’s early ripening date was from referencing an area like yours. Many of the older apples are less tasty but KD is a good apple even in our central Alabama area. Now that I know more about it I will graft more of it into my small orchard. As of now it has been precocious and disease resistant.

1 Like

My King David ripens early September in zone 7b of South Carolina. I might have some elevation on you. I’m at 900 feet. I don’t know if that makes a difference or not. I agree that KD is a good apple and has excellence disease resistance. A tree at my father’s old place is over 30 years old and still producing while unsprayed and unpruned for 20 years. I’ve only seen a few trees that old in my lifetime around here. My G-Grandfather’s orchard in the North Georgia mountains had many apple trees in it over 50 years old when it was bulldozed around 30 years ago.

2 Likes