Late season Peaches

Sure PM me this winter and we can trade.

It is around 1/3 acre, never exactly measured it but somewhere in that vicinity… I need to update my list as I have removed a lot of things in the last few years, trying to transition to a little more quantity on the things I like…

I would vote for Summerset if you want a nice fairly late yellow peach.
Our last few off our tree are still softening. They keep quite well and I have not tasted better peaches then those off this tree.
We are zone 8a in the mountains of Arizona.

2 Likes

Any idea of the ripening order comparing Summerset to Victoria, Parade, Fairtime, and Last Chance peach varieties?

I don’t think it’s possible to ripen peaches past about mid-Oct here in S. NY, so that info wold be valuable. Indian Free and White Heath are probably at the outer cusp and were done about a week ago. I figure they need temps into the '70’s.

Not that I know. However, I’m looking for a good yellow peach that can ripen with those two.

Not sure about the 70’s (I don’t know) but I have had tomatoes up to Thanksgiving in Virginia, but that is an extreme exception. The first frost usually comes around the last week of October or the first week of November. I assume the first frost would be the cutoff for peaches? Bay Laurel and GrowOrganic are selling an OctoberFest peach that is supposed to ripen in October. Of course they are west coast nurseries selling on Citation rootstock.

This is from Saunders Brothers, an orchard that is an hour North of me in Virginia, a little further into the mountain region.

Big Red - August 22
Parade - September 3
Autumn Flame - September 8
Last Chance - September 11
Fairtime - September 15
Sweet September - September 29

I cannot find Sweet September anywhere for purchase. It is a Dave Wilson or Burchell Peach. I would imagine Sweet September would be middle of October or later in NY.

1 Like

The year both trees were thinned Summerset was maybe a week after the Indian Free that cropped really light. This year the poor Summerset got missed when we thinned and was further behind.
It may only be days behind Indian Free.

From GreenTree Nursery -

Summerset Peach

Fine late season yellow freestone, ripens approx. Sept.1st in Central California. Large, sweet and flavorful. Used fresh market, canned, and for freezing. 700 hours. Self-fruitful.

Last night i ate the last of my 2019 peaches from the refridgerator, All my peaches were incredibly small this year and usually they have more “blood” on them but these were harvested early due to a very early hard frost. I feel Indian Free deserves more praise and is the absolutely most aromatic peach i have ever seen.

6 Likes

I would praise them if they performed consistently for me in S. NYS. They are the most difficult of any peach I grow but I keep trying because I’ve had one crop that was very good a few years ago and I love late peaches. It has been worthless since.

In 2018 OFM attacked every peach (never happened to any other variety) and this season they just filled up with water from a wet spring but waited until ripening time to really rot, even though very dry weather occured as they “ripened”.

I simply can’t recommend the variety as a staple peach here- it’s apparently not much of a producer. .

3 Likes

I do think its a old tree with not much vigour that takes a while to get established, mine took until the 2nd one to get one to make it through the winter. It would make sense that it does not crop very large but it needs less thinning for me and keeps a lot of peaches on the inside of the tree and under leaves. All my stonefruit were smaller but Indian Free was smaller than that so i would second that it does not love long periods of wet. Sad that they rotted for you even in dry weather, They really are the best smelling peach and i always wonder if they are going to ripen and usually they do at the very end of my season but we get weird late season daytime heat.

3 Likes

I do love the peach itself.

2 Likes

I think it would make a good specimen for a breeding program

2 Likes

Oh she sadly passed away this winter. I think the issue is the citation rootstock and my climate.

Is there a reason such as incompatibility you can never find her on lovell or guardian? I saved some seeds from her and was going to germinate them, my assumption is that i would be able to graft her to her daughters? Is there any other rootstocks she is known to pair well with other than citation?

Here is the new Octoberfest Peach from DWN, it has two fruit developing. The foliage is growing out nicely.

6 Likes

You could use an interstem …i’ve had Saturn peach on a wild plum for years now and i also have it on krymsk1 for a couple years. Seems to work with those rootstocks…you could use something like that and then graft your peach to that…i have something like that going on with my apricot tree…the peach on there is grafted i think to pluot which is on puget gold which is on k86… Takes time though…

1 Like

Thank you! @warmwxrules

Peach roots do very good here, we do get borers but other than being too dry they seem to like the clay. I think its marginal as far as we need a frost more on halloween than the start of october for them to fully ripen on the tree. However Indian Free is the most aromatic unique and wonderful peach i have ever tasted and i would love another full tree. I am open to a interstem but i was thinking of just planting a bunch of her daughters seeds and getting some scionwood and grafting her to them as i would think she would have to be compatible with her daughters unless its some virus or other issue? If so what is the interstem that would work for her?

Depending on if you had any cross pollination i think peaches grow pretty true to seed. If you can, growing them on their own roots should be the best. Only takes a few years to go from seed to fruit with peaches since they flower pretty quickly from seed (3 or 4 years)…

Interstems are tricky…a lot of it is just trial and error. I have had peaches die back when grafted directly to apricot. Red Haven is widely available peach and might work well as an interstem between something that doesn’t like being grafted to say a plum seedling/plum cross of some type. The problem is this also takes years to build up and then you might have issues of not being compatible.

1 Like

Very heavy cross pollination and with all yellow peaches as my polly did not flower last year. However Indian free is definitely my latest peach bloomer and probably selfs for a decent amount of its last set fruits however i just have random pits from indian free and my assumption is they are only 1/2 indian free.

I see that Indian Free is (was) available on Lovell from both One Green World and Bay Laurel. I tried hard to find an Indian Free a little late in the game this spring but everywhere was sold out - I’m dead set on ordering one for next year.

2 Likes

You will love her @Scooter. She definitely needs a spot where she gets fall sun but i cannot praise this peach high enough and excellent to see you found her on other peach roots as it was 5 years ago when i was searching so hard. Now i feel more confident its not a incompatibility or virus issue and starting these seeds tonight!!!

1 Like