Members photos on Growingfruit

A couple pictures of my family from this summer; me cutting down our junebearing strawberries for renovation,

my kids and a friend washing apples (not mine unfortunately) for our yearly saucing

my wife and son, at a friend’s wedding

My two daughters pitting sour cherries we got from our CSA:

I am an electrical engineer at a solar technology company, and I love to build stuff in nearly any context.

I was also noticing it seemed like a pretty high asian content in member’s families. Just a coincidence of who has posted? According to wikipedia, the 2010 census put those individuals identifying as asian or part-asian at 5.7% of the US population, pretty concentrated in a handful of urban areas. My wife is 1/2 Vietnamese (second generation).

It is a little amazing to me how uncommon it seems to want to grow a bit of fruit or veg in your yard. Sure, out in the country you see farms, but it is the rare house that has a visible garden or fruit tree that looks taken care of or harvested. Where I live is pretty urban, and we have some community gardens which I hear have muti-year wait lists. But many houses have a little space in the front yard at least that could support some edibles, yet you still don’t see many taking advantage of the space. Probably less than 1 in 10. I think mainstream American culture does not include an impulse to grow food on a small scale. Even people that are into gardening are more focused in general on ornamentals and flowers.

In other places though, I think mainstream culture does embrace this. So it may be that immigrants from such places, (or those who have been influenced by them) are more inclined to want to grow some vegetables or fruit. There is a wonderful book from Novella Carpenter called Farm City which is super entertaining and was an inspiration to me about how much you could do in a small space in the city. She says her neighbors in Oakland, CA, many of whom were asian or hispanic immigrants thought it was normal for her to keep a few chickens and a garden even though they were in the city. I don’t know what they thought when she started keeping pigs though!!

It is not a phenomenon that is restricted to what we might think of as being poor or developing regions either. For instance, my wife and I spent part of our honeymoon in Slovenia (central europe). It seemed to me that most yards had a couple little fruit trees, some vegetables, and often some chickens. Chickens and apples was a combo I remember seeing in many locations. I’m sure many of us white americans can remember our grandparents or greatgrandparents being into growing food. My grandmother’s family emigrated from Italy, and they definitely had a tradition of growing vegetables on a small scale, even if it was difficult to put into practice in tenements in Brooklyn.

So anyway, there is my tenuous theory supported by thin data on why we might see a disproportionate representation in our ranks of those influenced by asian culture…

14 Likes

Holly, regardless of where I have traveled on this planet (outside of the US), fruit is prized. It is prized over any candy, or taco bell, or mcDonalds creation. The fast foods have taken away taste buds of generations. A beautiful dish of grapes after dinner, or pears with a slice of gorgonzola just can’t be beat. Fruit prices in Japan? Hmmmmmmmm.

3 Likes

Well, I’m of Scottish and Italian extraction (long story, VERY interesting dinner table discussions growing up as a kid, lol!!) and both cultures grew their own stuff, especially after immigrating to the USA or Canada. My Scottish grandparents (from Scotland) always had a HUGE vegetable garden, fruit trees, and award-winning roses. My grandmother put all kinds of stuff up every summer. During the Depression, my mom said that my grandmother would leave bags of extra veggies and fruit hanging on the back alley fence, so those homeless folks or “hobos” as they were called back then, knew they could get something to eat if they walked down my grandparent’s alley. Many of the families did that, my mom said you could see all the bags hanging off the back alley fences. My Italian side also brought their own fig cuttings over to grow their “family fig tree”, very common amongst Italian immigrants. And if they could, lemons as well. My grandmother ALWAYS had figs and lemon trees, even in Canada (she would drag them indoors). When she moved down to California, they were in the ground, along with other citrus, avocados, tomatoes. As well as all her herbs she cooked with, too, and lots of tomatoes. And yes, it was done in the tenements of Brooklyn, as my grandmother had her fig tree in a pot on her fire escape balcony. Just a real tradition in so many cultures. I’m a gardener because they were, and so were my parents. My sister is, too. And now, so is my oldest daughter :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ok, HQ but where is your pic?

Well, I have been really busy trying to save my husband’s life this last week (no kidding). So, I will get one up with my 3 lovely daughters here this week. Sorry, it’s been a bit of a trying time for this nursie.

Patty,
Sorry to hear about your husband’s illness. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Thank you, mamuang. He is much better, and getting better every day. If he was so super ubber fit, not sure this would have had the same outcome. He contracted very severe food poisoning that spread beyond the GI tract and into his blood and possibly cererbrospinal fluid. It was frightening how sick he got. Even for me as a nurse.

1 Like

Scary! And, sorry to ask if it is an imposition, but what was the nature of the food poisoning? My first guess would be listeria, I guess, but who knows? (Ignore question if you like!)

Since it is still fall. Overlooking the farm… . :smile: I am usually behind the camera but my hubby took the picture this time. This is from a few years ago.

14 Likes

My grandson and I… He picked me a flower bouquet…

5 Likes

Campylobacter jejuni. One of the organisms found with poorly prepared poultry or unpasteurized dairy products. Normally and in most cases, it is self-limiting. But, I think Dave was sick longer than he let on, and then he deteriorated very rapidly, as it entered his blood stream and most likely his cerebrospinal fluid. That’s what makes Listeria food poisoning so dangerous - its propensity to do that. Campylobacter ususally stays in the GI tract, which is really odd, since he has no other co-morbidities at all, to make him more susceptible to develop systemic infection. Only because he is so extremely super fit did he survive this. This is only the 2nd case in 5 years positively ID’ed that became fulminating that his doc has ever seen. I’ve never seen Campylobacter become systemic. I was afraid it was Listeria based on the symptoms. It was a very big lesson for me: Stand My Ground. I correctly diagnosed him immediately with food poisoning, but could NOT get the 1st ER doctor to listen to me, extend both my and Dave’s doctor professional courtesies of listening to us (he refused to call Dave’s internal medicine doctor, who wanted to rule out both food poisoning - he agreed with me on that - and possible Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever). The ER doctor refused to do a stool and blood culture or prescribe or administer antibiotics. He got a liter of fluid and Toradol (pain meds) IV, and booted out. He felt marginally better, then crashed within 24 hours. We rushed back to (another and different) ER, and that ER doctor was a professional. He turned to me and said, “You’re a nurse, what do you think is going on here?” And, he called Dave’s doctor and conferred with him. He agreed with us and hung IV Doxycycline, which no doubt saved his life. We were in the ER about 12 hours, 2 liter of fluid, Diladid (Dave’s headache was off the chart, as was his muscle pain, couldn’t lay down against the gurney, couldn’t wear his shirt). He is still recovering, on double antibiotics (oral Doxy and Cipro), but much, much better. We both had quite a scare. Dave is a world caliber rock climber, mountaineer, body builder, was a Cat II bicycle racer, and his decades of being extremely fit allowed him to hang on long enough to get correct treatment. If he had been just a regular 58 year old guy, the outcome would have been quite different, no doubt. Probably more than you wanted to know, but I’m still “recovering” myself. This was a near miss.

7 Likes

My favorite picture of my husband and I…

14 Likes

Patty, I am so sorry to hear of your husbands illness. How scary for everyone. I am so happy to hear he is doing much better and on the mend. Take care of yourself also.

He’s lucky you were there- next time I try to tough something out I’m going to remember this exchange and think again.

Thanks for taking the time to throw some light on a complicated matter. And congratulations on a job well done. Best to you both!

1 Like

HQ, kick back and relax. The worst is over and you’re safe. Take care.

He is lucky to have such a caring and compassionate life partner.

1 Like

Thank you, everyone, your comments are very much appreciated and very kind. It was a rough week, but we’re both on the mend. My stomach is still not 100% - I think I irritated it due to stress and fatigue. I never ever have stomach issues, but I feel like I have morning sickness, kind of weird. If I eat, I feel better. Mrsg, you’re right, I’ve put it in the past, and we’re looking forward to a great Fall and Winter. Looking forward to our 1st grandbaby due on Leap Day 2016!! We’re calling her “Leap” for now, lol!

2 Likes

Here’s a shot of me (my avatar photo). Yup, a redhead or just about, was there really any doubt?

Me and my middle daughter, Samantha.

Dave, my hubby on the mend, and my youngest daughter, Katelyn, who just got married this last August.

Dave lifting his two youngest daughters, Katie and Sammy. This was at my oldest daughter’s destination wedding in Punta Cana, DC (affectionately referred to a Poopa Cana, as we all came down with Norovirus, generously dontated by a bunch if infected cruise ship people who came into port. Made for a rough going home for some wedding guests!)

My three lovely, beautiful, talented, smart daughters in order of age: Meagan, Samantha and Katelyn. This was also at Meggie’s wedding, which was 2 years ago. Dave and I are abundantly blessed with 3 incredible kids. I thank God every night for allowing me to be their parent.

Here is my oldest daughter Meagan and her fantastic husband, Justin:

And my youngest daughter and her brand new and equally wonderful husband, Gordon (they are a cute couple - she is 5 feet tall, and Gordon is 6’6"!):

Oh, and one more of my youngest daughter and her wonderful husband at their wedding:

23 Likes

Patty,
So glad it was over and your husband is on the mend.

My husband is careful when handling raw meat during food prep. I, not so much. Hearing your story, I will be more careful.

Take care.

Yes, mamuang, always good to be vigilant. I am probably a little over the top, being a nurse. I rinse all my whole meats. I cleanse all the prep surfaces and prep items (cutting boards, knifes, etc.) with a 1:10 bleach spray, and I clean out my sink with Soft Scrub with bleach after I prep any meat, especially poultry. Dave was able to walk back in time and figure out what he ate that was tainted. It was while traveling for business in N. Carolina. He had a turkey salad sandwich.