Mishirasu Vs Drippen' Honey Asian pear

Clark,

After looking closely at my Mishirasu Asian pear and compared the fruits to your Drippen’ Honey Asian pear and I think the two are different variety. Mishirasu is more oval than the round Drippin Honey. What are your thoughts?

Tony

Mishirasu next to the ripened Shinseiki

5 Likes

Tony,
I’m still not sure but I suspect drippin’ honey is different. I took these pictures this morning of drippin’ honey so everyone can compare the two. It may have mishirasu parentage but only the breeder knows that. No one is saying where it came from but we are sure it’s a great pear!

5 Likes

Great yet I am curious about the differences in the flesh.

1 Like

It would be difficult to develop a better tasting pear than drippin’ honey but I’ve tasted a very good Korean Giant. That KG was in my opinion a very nice tasting Asian pear. Korean Giant was impressive overall to me as a tree but of course that can be subjective. KG is still a very firm pear so to someone that prefers only European pears they would not care for it. I’ve eaten drippin’ honey and Korean Giant and as far as Asian pears go I doubt there are any two any better.

1 Like

Clark,

I may add the Fragrant pear from China. They are the crunchiest, Fragrance, and light texture of any fruit. I can eat 4 of them in a few minutes without getting tired of them

Tony

1 Like

I like or love most Asian pears I have tried, regardless I prefer the stronger flavored and the sweeter Asian pears, of course I do not like any pears picked too early, who does.

I would not try to get better than Drippin’ Honey, or Korean Giant for fruit quality, yet I’d love to see more varieties as great as they are. There is at least one other variety yet it’s very climate sensitive which can greatly affect the quality of the pears.

1 Like

I’ve heard that the fragrant pears are often a little overbearing and can smell and taste more like perfume than a piece of fruit. Is that true?

1 Like

Not the ones I have eaten, they taste more like a European pear cross.

Clark have you tried Kosui? That is my favorite asian pear. Drippin’ Honey were good but not great last year but it was their first year and I may have picked them at the wrong time.

1 Like

I just looked at my notes for Kosui, when I was researching it for blight sensitivity many years ago I did not find any mention of it’s blight sensitivity and resistance. Do you know if it’s blight resistant?

I have not had any blight in 12+ years on it for what thats worth. The only asian pears getting blight for me have been Hosui and Shinko. Shinko is supposed to be one of the more blight-resistant pears, go figure.

(PS I think I owe you a PM alan… yes I can send you wood next year, just ask then)

I suspect that all the nearly immune or supposedly immune varieties have at least one part of the plant that is sensitive to fire blight. that depending on when or how the fire blight hits effects whether or not they are damaged by fire blight. By what I was reading onlne it sounded like Shinko always got damaged by fire blight when Hosui didn’t and vice versa. When they got hit by fire blight was it ever at the same time?

Sure can do. Thank you.

Drippin’ Honey improves a great deal with age. The first year I was not impressed. I have not tried kosui but now I’m intrigued.

I asked Brady to get those scions of Asian pears from raintree nursery. Had Anyone tried those varieties?

1 Like

I’m growing Hamese, Kosui, and Yonashi but that have not fruited yet. Hopefully I’ll get a taste this year.

1 Like

Shinsui is a must-have if you have several asian pears as it ripens earlier than nearly all of them (its the earliest for me), and it tastes excellent.

Seuri I have only had a few fruits on so no strong opinion yet on that one.

Yoinashi is a notch down from Kosui, they overlap in ripening and the Yoinashi are more watery/bland in flavor. I pulled mine a few years ago so the Kosui tree could grow into its space.

6 Likes

So, then I take it that Yoinashi is not as good as Hosui. They supposedly both have a great butterscotch flavor, maybe in a certain climate.

2 Likes

Can anyone confirm is this is Mishirasu? First time getting a small crop.

3 Likes

I need to see the leaves then I hope I can tell the difference. See the leaves above. @tonyOmahaz5 will be able to tell if I can’t I think

I use to grow one years ago, a large round heavy russeted pear of very good quality. It was my favorite Asian pear.