My "Romance series" cherries

In trying to figure out if Vincent8B’s Juliet is grafted or not, focus more on seeing if there is a graft union rather than tree/bush form. (I can’t tell from the pic if it has a graft union or not.) I think nursery trees are pruned or grown differently than in the home orchard, so it takes a few years to see what form the bush is actually going to take. For example, here’s some pics of my Cupid, the first when I bought it in 2011, and the second taken today. I think the form looks a lot different now than it did coming from the nursery, and I don’t mean just bigger. My take on it anyway.

1 Like

I just bought the plastic one last night. I haven’t had cherries yet but I’m hoping. I bought a tomato and berry mill too. What I need is a racoon processor!

1 Like

My Juliet cheery root too long, I am trying to plant it now. Here the pictures of theirs root Don.

1 Like

Here is another picture.

1 Like

Looks like it hasn’t been grafted to me. Those are some roots. I would leave one up parallel to the surface and cover lightly with wet sawdust or mulch and see if you can get it to grow a sucker. That is if you want another bush. You can transplant by cutting that root then and take it with the sucker and plant another one. You have to keep it moist so it doesn’t dry out. If it buds a branch at the top of the root ball you can pin the branch against the ground and when it gets long bury 3/4 of it. The next spring that branch will be hairy with roots and you can cut that away too. I did that last year with one of mine.

1 Like

Wight’s does indicate on their website that the Romeo and Juliet Cherry trees that they sell,are on their own roots and I agree. Brady

1 Like

I agree too, looks like on its own root. Be interesting to see how it does in zone 8b.

1 Like

Yes so excited. Last year I bought 1 Romeo but only 1 ft tall to long to wait, and I was so happy to get 1 Carmine J 6 FT tall , then find more information from this web, I had to get the Juliet one. Now I have 3 of them for limited room. I hope no suckers will come later. Thank you very much for all of your information . Vincent.

Both my Carmine and Juliet cherry are very good size, can you guys tell how old they are and how long more for their fruiting. Thanks.

The six to eight inch trunk was its first year growth. I can see an annular up a foot higher so that was second year unless they flushed it to grow at the end of the season I would say that’s a three year old bush. You’ll probably get some cherries in a couple years. That bush looks like it’s ready to take off and grow good, but transplanting them can slow growth down for a while too.

1 Like

Sorry, no idea how old. I got 4 varieties as under two-foot nursery stock in 2011. They intermittently produced fruit from 2012 onward, though amounts were small and not every variety produced fruit each year. It was only in 2016 that I got heavy crops of 20 pounds or more from each bush, up to 30 pounds for the Carmine Jewel. Maybe that exhausted my cherry bushes and the 2017 harvest will be tiny?

I am in zone 3a, where our winter snow cover typically lasts from early or mid-November through to the end of March. So I’m not sure that my experience with these varieties has much relevance to zone 8a, but I’m putting it out there anyway.

2 Likes

I’m not so sure? To me it looks like it could be a wedge graft, it still even has a piece of tape on it. I can see a split that healed. Well looks like a split. Those roots are unreal! It may not be grafted, never seen roots like that!

Thank you very much Don,Johnny, Brady and Drew. All information really helpful to me. On their web site said it’s on its own root, and everything is 30 % sale price now buy 4 or more 40% off Brady.( The Juliet cherry I paid only $30 including sale tax) Vincent.

2 Likes

What web site is this that you’re at?

http://www.wights.com/nursery/fruit-trees-and-berries/

2 Likes

I don’t see where you get to a page for ordering any trees other than a fruit tree list page with no links.

They may be a local pick up only nursery.Vincent and I live in the Seattle area. Brady

1 Like

Can you find juliet at their site? I can’t look at any trees other than what they are flashing pictures of.

They show a shopping cart but maybe you guys are getting more information from the physical store? Maybe their shopping cart is for other items too?

The only place I see Juliet,is under the heading,Wight’s Fruit List,that brings up a PDF.
I tried the link to the online store and it’s not functioning. Brady