Panaché Fig

Here’s my DWN Panaché Fig sprouting out new whips after the January pruning :slightly_smiling:

7 Likes

Now I’m a little disappointed because it looks as though the wood gets the normal fig gray look as it matures and doesn’t retain the eye catching interest the young wood has.

Old branch growth is white, new branch growth is yellow-green, leaves are green, fruit is variegated yellow and green.

The ‘Panache’ tree is a beaut, and the fruit is excellent. When I share them with folks for the first time they always comment on how crunchy the seeds are and how sweet and jammy the fruit is. It’s like no other fig. Hang in there!

That’s good to hear. Up until now I’ve been hoping the fruit would be good, and I still am, but was also thinking that even if it wasn’t wonderful, the tree, itself, held an appeal that makes it worthwhile. I’m glad to hear another voice say that the fruit is as alluring as the tree.

1 Like

Check this out

1 Like

There’s a huge Panache tree growing in the International Fruit Tree Garden at Emma Prusch Farm Park in San Jose,CA.Every visit there though,the fruit haven’t been quite ripe.I think it was September or October one year.Are these a very late ripening Fig? Brady.

Yes, not a good match for northern growers. Still I was thinking of finishing it off under lights powerful enough to grow pot, which I have.

I don’t even know what that means. Fig trees put out figs and we eat them up, yum. If the question is, “Does panache have a breba crop?”, the answer is – to my knowledge, no. :slight_smile:

The main crop is late ripening unlike many I grow where the main crop starts ripening in late July. Those are great for here. Yes no breba crop!

Tiger Panachee or Panache is a striped fig with alternating rows of yellow and green decorating its skin. Inside the fruit is strawberry red. Tiger needs a long warm growing season to set good fruit. No breba crop. Not a good candidate for really cold winters.
http://www.sdedible.org/fig-trees.html

I’m still growing it. It is one of the easier figs to root and grow. Super strong grower. I may bring it in the ripen, My lights are very hot too, I will have to have a fan on it even though it likes heat. Yes they are that hot. I may bring it in in September to keep it warm. My lights put out 28,800 lumens, that should be plenty.
It might be worth trying in your zone, I may have an extra plant too.

More info
Panachee is also known as the
Tiger fig and you’ll know why when you see these striped and stippled
green and yellow beauties. Crimson flesh turns to jam as the fruit
ripens and this brings out the strawberry/orange flavors. Needs a long,
warm growing season. Ripens late, so not suitable for cold climates.
No breba crop, but a prolific late crop. Great for containers

http://www.bayflora.com/panachee.html

In my climate a breba crop on figs will be of poor quality and waste plant resources. Consequently the prudent grower cuts their fig trees to waist high every January and harvests the main crop in summer-fall. This is known as the Japanese method which has been practiced there for a few hundred years.

I envy your location and Mrclint’s at this point. I have to go to extremes to grow this one, I probably will give it away eventually. The vortex is heading right at me, yet the weather is nice now, the fig shuffle today as I bring them all out, put them back Monday night. Take them out again Wednesday.
Some figs produce a nice breba crop here.
Do you have the wasp there?
Here of course no wasp, Desert King grows well here, and we can only harvest breba crop as the main crop drops if no wasp.

You should be able to grow anything that grows at the equator.:relaxed:

Yes, it looks like the sun, hard to look at! My neighbor grows hemp, and he uses halogen lights, impressive set up he has. Although his whole house reeks like skunk. He needs better ventilation! My lights are T5 VHO lights (not the normal T5 HO). I myself do not care for hemp, although I could probably retire on a plantation in the Caribbean if I spent as much time and effort as I do on edibles. I wish I could sell my raspberries at $300.00 an ounce!
He is totally legal btw, The police were inspecting the place a few months ago, and gave the OK to carry on. Somebody complained I guess? The whole area reeks of peppy le pue.

1 Like

Panache is a west coast fig and doesn’t develop the same taste
outside of California. In the South, it’s more or less a novelty fig
grown for decorative purposes.

I have heard this before, that in humid weather the taste is poor.

Yes the fruit is displayed in arrangements. I will probably use it for a trade.
I have at least two plants, and a possible third. It is not really that humid here. Not like the south.

I’m not a fan of that method. Figs are the ultimate edible ornamental. Even when the leaves fall, there’s a lot to be said for the fig in tree form. The smaller trees such as VdB and ‘Black Jack’ don’t require that much pruning to be kept compact. Panache has not been a rapid grower for me either in its current location.

I use the Japanese method to get a better harvest, not to keep the trees compact. Everywhere in the west I’ve observed fig cultivars, they’ve grow back rapidly in the spring and summer from the January waist-high pruning. If it’s not that way in your microclimate, I understand completely.

1 Like

Figs grow very well in my locale (hot So Cal inland valley). The Japanese method is not aesthetically pleasing in the home garden landscape in my opinion. I give away more figs than my family can eat, so I’m not enticed by the “potential” for increased production. It does make sense as a renewal measure on a tree that has become overgrown or has petered out somewhat.

In the link I provided above, the figs seem over-watered to me. They primarily grow Masui Dauphine in Japan, which is a variety that might be better suited to this as a yearly practice.