Polls: Favorite Fruits Polls (VOTE!)

More people can probably grow them than they realize, now that condo mangoes, which can be grown in containers, are a thing. One of mine, Carrie, set a couple of fruit this first year, but I removed them to let it concentrate on growing. Who knows; maybe someday there will be as many determined mango growers as there die hard fig growers now, as the word on the possibility expands. I have a lychee tree, too, that I didn’t intend to buy. I don’t expect that to survive long enough to produce.

Asking me to choose a favorite fruit is like asking me to choose a favorite color. It’s the variety that makes them so enjoyable.

3 Likes

You must be joking about Durian. I’ve been around plenty of people when Durian were being eaten and sampled. The vast majority of people who haven’t grown up eating them, find them absolutely revolting. That is true of a great number of folks who have grown up with them as well.
I personally wouldn’t choose Durian over Red Delicious apples…or a handful of dirt for that matter.

1 Like

Durian is gross, but I would absolutely grow lychees and probably mangoes if I could. Sometimes I do wonder if I would be as excited about persimmons if they weren’t exotic to me.

I probably under-appreciate peaches for the same reason. It’s one of my favorite flavors, but it’s also so common. Why bother to grow it when there’s so many pick-your-owns?

oh I’d grow mangos if I could…no doubt about that, and maybe lychees, but I’d rather grow poison ivy instead of durian.

if fine wine is to pleasantly fragrant fruits, then beer is to durian.

beer smells foul, and tastes weird(or vice-versa) to many children, but many folks just couldn’t have enough of it as grownups, same with durian, lol.

while could eat durian, i agree, it is not in the league of mangosteen, lychees, mangos, etc.

Shameless bump for anyone who hasn’t voted. haha

That is the opposite of me. I’d grow mangos for my wife, but don’t like them. Lychees on the hand tops my list, very close to sweet cherries.

I’ve never grown up to like beer or durian.

It’s pretty hard to say just one…I’d prefer a top 5 or top 10 list.

1.) Lychee & Longan
2.) Sweet cherries
3.) Nectarines
4.) Euro plums
5.) Apricots

Honorable mention: Hardy kiwi, pluot, jujube, apples, persimmons, blackberries, and strawberries.

When I was (much) younger, I would have said raspberry without hesitation, but it’s fallen off the top 10 now. I still like them, but they aren’t exciting.

For pears, a top 3 choice, Concorde (which I’ve only had from the store, but is very good nonetheless) is missing from the list.

Empress plum is another.

Scott,

This past week I bought a Magness on 333 from Boyer’s. It is early, but to my keen eye, it appears that the tree is trying to flower! I would be excited about the potential for instant gratification, but I fear all my other pear blossoms were froze out this year, so maybe nothing will pollinate my new Magness this season.

That’s a good reason to set aside a little pollen from some of the early bloomers. Probably better off anyway though as its better to let the tree settle in a year before letting it fruit.

My methley was loaded with blooms when I bought it and I had some pluots blooming concurrently but the frost wiped everything out.

Just wanted to bump these polls in case some of the new members haven’t had a chance to respond.

didn’t realize that haven’t voted.
as with music, one can’t just be listening to 1 or 2 or 10 favorite songs/pieces…

at the top are mangosteen, langsat, jackfruit, marang, sugar apple, atemoya, cherimoya, lacatan, certain sapodillas, several mangos, certain lychees/rambutans, and, of course, persian black mulberry.

honorable mention would be longans, soursop, some pineapples, certain guavas, certain palm fruit(fresh tropical palms and fresh deglet noor), arctic jays, certain cherries, persimmons, green tamarind, cripps pink and certain jujubes

This is the first time I read anyone in this forum mentioned langsat. Langsat I ate was mostly sour. Most of us prefers its cousin, Longong, which is a lot sweeter and more flavorful.

I don’t know all the names you mentioned. I am sure we have them, just don’t know the English names.

How could you eat green tamarind fresh!! I love it mixed in dip or food but not fresh eating. On the other hand, sweet tamarind is one of my favorite.tropical fruit. Very addictive. I can eat kilos of them.

forgot about longkong, and should have included that in my list! There are several cultivars of langsat, and you’re right, there are sour ones. But just like tamarinds and soursops, there are superior cultivars which are far ahead of the pack.

i like brown tamarinds too, but those are no longer zesty as the fresh green ones. And i agree, most tamarinds cannot be eaten green, but there are certain cultivars which are only mildly sour, which make them more desirable when mature but still at a green stage. Those are quite refreshing, since the pulp is live, much like many vegies are when eaten fresh as salad, as opposed to cooked.
it may be a weird assessment, but the closest thing to describe it is that it has a granny smith apple flavor to it, on top of the tamarind flavor, and the pulp is quite firm and chewy, compared to brown tamarind. Just as jujubes and plums are more refreshing when fresh than when dried, or certain mangoes being the same when partly green.

I see that longong can be spelled longkong.

I do agree that young, green tamarind is flavorful. I can eat a few but mostly we pound them using mortar and pestle and mix with other ingredients for dip or slice them up for certain clear soup in place of lime juice (or with lime juice). My kind of food :smiley:

1 Like

delicious right ?:slight_smile:

Bumpty Bump. Lots of new members.

1 Like

Very interesting.

1 Like

Peach or watermelon is my favorite fruit (most of the time).

3 Likes

Strawberries and white fleshed peaches or nectarines. Yeah, I have a sweet tooth

Variety is the spice of life.

1 Like