Salacca

This is a continuation of a discussion Raf started in another thread.

So far I’ve discovered that the name Salacca is used to describe plants and fruits in the sub-tribe of Palms named Salaccinae. Although there is a lot of contradictory information online from plant and fruit sellers, it appears that there are only 3 species (and a lot of synonyms) within this tribe.

(1) Salacca zalacca, aka salak and snakefruit. This palm is hardy in zone 11a and could possibly be grown in my zone 10b. Many sources verify that this is not what Raf originally identified as snakefruit.

Salak

(2) Salacca wallichiana aka “sala” and “rakum plum”. This species was incorrectly reported by Raf as “snakefruit”, but no such use is reported in the native habitat. It is native to Burma, Thailand, and Malaysia.

Sala

(3) Eleiodoxa conferta is a dioecious, tropical swamp-dwelling plant, commonly called by Malay as asam kelubi or asam paya.

Eleiodoxa_conferta_thai

2 Likes

Richard,
I don’t have scientific knowledge about plants and fruit trees like you do.

I have eaten Salacca Zalacca สละ (in Thai) and Salacca Wallichiana ( ระกำ) growing up. I have not eaten Eleiodosa as it is native to southern Thailand and so sour that people use it incooking not frsh eating.

Salacca Zalacca and Salacca Wallichiana are so close in their characteristics of plants and fruit that many do not know the differences. Looking up on websites, you may see they describe SZ but show the pic of SW or vise versa.

In my opinion, Raf’s pic and description of Salacca Zalacca is what I believe to be correct. Originally, SZ was from Indonesia and made its way to Thailand. Several varieties are now grown mostly in eastern Thailand. The fruit is sweeter so it is more popular among consumers.

I don’t know what website tells you Salacca Wallichiana (Rakum plum = ระกำ) has no use. It is almost popular for fresh eating as the SZ. In general, it tastes less sweet, more sour. Rakum in Thai means misery or hardship. Salacca plants and fruit have thorns. Serious thorns are on the plants. To deal with thorny plants to get to the fruit is a hardship. Then, when Rakum is picked too early, it is very sour. No wonder old timers called them a misery plant :slight_smile:

To us, both SZ and SW have several medicinal properties. They are good for fresh eating and for health benefits.

1 Like

Actually the outward appearance of the fruits is very different. The skin of the true snakefruit (salak) is dark and round while “sala” is orange and elongated.

You mis-understood. I was referring to the name “snakefruit” not being used in horticulture publications to describe S. wallichiana.

According to the classic varietues, yes. In actuality, some varieties of SZ and SW are similar.