Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

I’m starting to wonder when I can put out the summer veggies - which I always do too early

Last year we had that cold snap mid May… I know my maters got vaporized by that… They came back but man did they look sad. You could do it next week… looks chilly (overnight) thru Monday. Or wait until May… I think i’m going to hold off until that first week of May and double check the extended. If I had my tunnels up i’d put them in now…but i don’t…and i’m lazy.

I had to put milk jugs over mine.

Typically, I put out the early variety/s first, but once again, I managed to mix up the tags.

Looks like we should escape any freeze here in La Crosse. NWS here shows 37F both nights (Friday morning/Sat morning being the danger times)… I still will be moving all my trees inside just in case…or at least push them up next to the house/. Looking at it right now…Saturday morning would be the bigger issue for frost with clear/calm conditions likely…high pressure overhead…thurs night should have wind…keep things mixed up…

Rain overnight and then back to sunshine fri-Sunday and temps right around 60F.

Call me a simpleton but I’ve chuckled about this more than once. LOL!

The days of the cold air are dwindling. The lengthening days of the Arctic summer are going to put a crimp very quickly on the remaining cold. Still easily possible to get frost through May up here in midwest…but hopefully that doesn’t occur.

Some significant shrinkage of our cold pool to the north between now and 10 days from now.

What you do start to worry about this time of the year is the ‘cut off low’… a low pressure system that gets cut off from the flow so just sits and spins for days and days…ugly ugly ugly weather condition. Every so often that’ll happen and its miserable. The low will jog a little…and many times move back west (normal flow is west to east)…days and days of clouds, rainy, showery conditions…cool…temps not moving much between day/night.

2 Likes

France is also experiencing some problems. Brady

They just keep getting hit yearly over there.

I had 36F this morning… had some wind so everything stayed well mixed…no frost.

Tonite could be tricky… Probably right around freezing by morning with calm/clear conditions. Today should make a run into the 60Fs…but temps are going to plummet once the sun disappears.

It was 32 in my backyard at 2 AM, I turned the sprinkler on and everything looks good.

I was worried. Last night i went out around 11pm and it was all stars…it was windy though so we had that. Winds never went calm. Full sun this afternoon…

High pressure poking into N Dakota at 9am

That high pressure should spread across the n plains, midwest as we go through out the night… 12z gfs still shows 36F. Really not seeing much for a widespread freeze unless you live in a frost pocket. Areas like sparta, WI, Black River Falls… probably mid/upper 20Fs…

This thread needs to die.

6 Likes

A large area of Wisconsin suffered a hard freeze May 15th last year…

We got 3 weeks dude!

1 Like

I mean it needs to die for the good of y’all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wish NOAA’s maps were less cluttery

Not one day of frost in March…we have had 5 days in april including this morning at 32 degrees, when will the pain end?

1 Like

Can someone push this cold cloudy crap East of Maine please? This week has been miserable after 79 degrees on Easter.

For some reason Weather Underground puts clouds over us for tonight. So I’m not worried if that is what happens in reality. Saturday night/Sunday morning looks the most hair-raising for me. 38F on the forecast. That will put me in the range of frost for my yard.

Hopefully that will be the last of that crap for us down here for the year. As more and more stuff gets growing I think it helps push dew-points up and we get less likely to have a frost.

I see that on the visible… That would work well in your favor. Clouds are a nice blanket. Its from a system to your south…running up against high pressure to the north.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?vis1km_east_full+12
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/wisc/

That high pressure is going to give us around here a crazy nice weekend, so i’m happy.

Full sun across Wisconsin right now…low 60Fs…park was full of people. Nice afternoon for a walk…

I know…the maps need to be updated more often too. I like my temps up to the second :sunny:

Thank God this is a week out, but here comes some more “winter”… That would be a very cold rain…maybe flakes? Who knows…hopefully the model is 100% wrong.

1 Like

Those clouds made it up into my neck of the woods…all clouds here now. Should help keep temps in check for some (most?) of the night.

NWS Minneapolis:
Attention then turns to a couple large systems late next week into
the following weekend. GFS seems to be the odd man out taking the low
north across MN when looking at other models and its ensemble
members. The other solutions tend to take it further south across
Iowa, Illinois, and southeastern Wisconsin with much colder temps
and even a wintry mix potentially. Current forecast temperatures
would be 10-15 degrees too warm in that case.

1 Like