Tart, Yet Tasty Apples - mini thread

Well, I wouldn’t call Suncrisp an heirloom, it was developed by the Rutgers program back in the 60s, and was released in the 90s. It has some disease resistance, but that is not always the same in all locations. It isn’t as tart as my other favorites, but it has other flavors that are appealing. I’m like you, I’d rather have more tart than sweet, but it needs to still be balanced.

I’ve tried a few heirlooms, like Winesap, Roxbury and Golden Russets, Grimes Golden, to name a few. I like all of these, and we have planted all 4 of these. But, their grain isn’t as crisp as most “modern” apples. The Roxbury’s I’ve had have been almost mealy, but they were past their prime. I’ve planted a Rox, and hope it turns out to be better than what I sampled. Everyone’s location will be different, so they may turn out okay.

I think we have a good mix of heirloom and modern varieties (16 total), I picked them based on what I’ve read on here and other sites. We have been lucky enough to sample all but 4 (King David, Pristine, Macoun and Alkmene) of them elsewhere, and I think we made good choices for the most part.

3 Likes

Have you tried any of the red or pink fleshed varieties? They’re all tart and beautiful.

1 Like

This is my favorite nursery. All of their trees do very well and the customer service is top notch. This is my main resource for trees and I’ve ordered from almost all of them. Such a nice owner too.

1 Like

I would call David and Century Farm Orchards and actually talk with him about your apple needs. Or you can email him with his apple suggestions. His orchard and nursery is close enough to you. I think he would have some excellent apple varieties that would work for your location. I believe he likes a more tart apple as well so he would be an excellent one to give you some choices. I have bought most of my apple trees from him in the past few years. Very nice guy and has some great heirloom apple varieties.

3 Likes

My Summer Rambo did great this last year. No trouble with insects or disease.
It was the first year I had any fruit off that tree, only about 6 or so apples. I was impressed with the quality and taste of the apples but I am waiting until this year to see if I get just as good of fruit off the tree. Those and the Golden Russet were good solid apples not the sweet juicy varieties so many other people like.

1 Like

I went to www.orangepippintrees.com and put in all of my information in their filtered search. Seems there are - 0 - apples that they suggest for my ‘particulars’. Maybe summers are too hot? My summer temps were in their highest category. Then I tried Grandpa’s Orchard. Same thing - no apples came up.
I’ll report back after talking to the ‘antique apple’ people. And ‘Trees of Antiquity’. Thanks, everybody - especially those in the Black Sheep Peeps group.

1 Like

Thanks, Mike. I will call them tomorrow.

1 Like

I haven’t tried to grow apples in about 25 years. I only tried once - and it was just a tree I picked up from Home Depot, or someplace like that. I knew nothing about growing fruit trees back then, but had the room to plant some - so I gave it a try. We didn’t spray. We were too busy with jobs and kids and such . . . and we got wormy awful apples. I think they were Golden Delicious.

But - you asked about the red or pink fleshed varieties. I have looked at them on the different websites. They are gorgeous! Maybe one of the places I call, will offer one of those, as one for me to try.

I must have spent 40 hours looking at plum & nectarine varieties over the past few weeks. I’ve looked so long - that some of the ones I really wanted became Sold Out. ! So, I don’t want to go down that road again - with apples! I’ll call the vendors and ask for their opinion.

Trees of Antiquity sell both Winekist and Pink Pearl - I know Winekist is sold out but not sure about the other one. I know Fedco is also offering Winekist this year. I can’t speak of their disease susceptibility or anything because my trees are new - I’m sorry I also didn’t check where you live, I’m not sure how red fleshed apples do in hot areas, they may be less pigmented, not sure. I would google and see if there are any heirloom upick orchards in your area, even if you have to journey somewhat to get there - if you’re particular about your collection it’s worth waiting to test them first. Lots of fun and totally worth it :slight_smile: You can’t go wrong with Goldrush though. I was thrilled the first time I tried one, the texture and kick surpassed my expectations even after reading so many positive reviews.

2 Likes

Only one weakness (for organic growers) with Goldrush: serious susceptibility to Cedar Apple Rust. So if you have junipers or Red Cedar within 100 yards of apple spot I would skip GR.

3 Likes

If only a grower would like to grow organically. Otherwise, spray with myclobutanil is very effective on Cedar Apple Rust. A lot of people think it’s worth it to spray apples for CAR. Gold Rush is worth it for me.

2 Likes

Thanks for adding that: I forgot to add “for organic growers.” I will add that now.

1 Like

Don’t think we have red cedar close by . . . Only one way to find out! I may be playing ‘musical trees’ for a few years. But, hope not. Thanks for the heads up, Hambone.

1 Like

@mamuang I’m rather OVER trying to keep everything organic. It’s a losing battle here, for me, in our garden. Only concern I have now is - my dogs - and the winged pollinators.
I read all the requirements/description for Goldrush - and everyone’s rave reviews. That will probably be one I will try.
Ashmead’s Kernel is looking like a good one, too. All sites say it is a good apple for ‘beginners’.
It’s funny-lookin’ too . . . and we are into weird. ! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Pom,
@scottfsmith, the founder of this forum, lives not far from you. He is the best person in the east coast you can ask for advice re. growing fruit organically.

I’ve tried to grow organically. After several years of losing battles, I do the chemical-less approach instead.

3 Likes

I just looked at Scott’s HUGE list. WOW . . . that’s a lotta apples! I culled out his favorites . . . (thank you, @scottfsmith) and will check them against the suggestions from the apple ‘vendors’.
The Cummins Nursery folks got back to me last night with 2 solid recommendations for this area. Pink Lady. Grimes Golden.
The Albemarle Ciderworks people have Goldrush . . . which I rather had my heart set on - and no one else seems to have in stock! They are only 3 hours from my door - so I may take a ride up there, for the fun of it - and get a Goldrush, while they still have them!
They are also offering a grafting workshop, in early March, which I am thinking of attending. Would be a good way to get introduced to grafting, and see if I like it.
Thanks everyone - for the apple help. Will keep you posted!

2 Likes

YES, by all means if you have any interest in grafting attend one of their classes. My daughter and I signed up for one of their grafting classes with Tom Burford being there. We both got the flu just before that class and we never made the class. We were way too sick to travel the 10 hours from our place there. We are still bummed about not making that class. Since you are that close make the trip, if you can. There are no grafting classes around my area so everything is at least a days drive from here.

1 Like

I have two Grimes Golden, and a Goldrush, planted two years ago, they are doing very well. Still don’t know if they’re big enough to fruit any, though.

I’m also going this Saturday to a grafting workshop at a UK extension in a neighboring county. First part will be some grafting pointers, then some info on insect and disease control. After a noon lunch, we’ll be going out to a local orchard and learn about some pruning. I’m taking some pics of our trees and will be picking their brains for sure. They’ll probably get tired of all my questions…

@MikeC, this is in Fleming county, KY, if you’re interested. Probably 2-3hr drive for you, but doable. Here is some info about it. It’s only $10, with lunch included.

4 Likes

Thank you for the invite and information. I will definitely see if I can rearrange some things to see if I can attend. I am supposed to go out of town but maybe I can push it back a day. TY again!

1 Like

OK, it’ll be cool if you can come. If not, that’s alright too. I’ll try to take some good notes and pics.

If you are interested, you need to call them by March 1st and give them your name to be registered. You pay the $10 when you get there.

2 Likes