Tart, Yet Tasty Apples - mini thread

What city is it actually in? So I can see how long it takes.

The class is at the Fleming county extension office in Flemingsburg, address is on the flyer- 1384 Elizaville Road. I’m familiar with the area, as our electric company (Fleming-Mason) is across the street. It’s just west of downtown on highways 32/57.

The orchard, called Browning, is about 10 miles east of town, in Wallingford, 10955 Wallingford Road. I think the highway is route 559.

2 Likes

I get CAR on my Goldrush, but it’s not so bad that I think it hurts the tree much. I spray neem most years. GR is awesome, so I wouldn’t skip it unless you know CAR is a serious problem or find out that it is, which should be apparent within two or three years.

3 Likes

TY very much.

I placed my apple order last night - after obsessing for days and days. ! And I signed both me, and my husband, up for the workshop at Vintage Virginia Apples. Getting excited about that!
I ended up ordering Goldrush and Ashmead’s Kernel from the Vintage Apples people, and I can pick them up when I go to the workshop. I had to get Pink Lady elsewhere. No one vendor had all the varieties I was interested in. I finally found the Pink Lady at Cummins. The Cummins guy told me that _most of their apples get reserved the year before. He said that there seems to be a real renewed interest in planting apples. And certain varities GO really fast. All four of these work well for pollinating - and sound as though they are a good match for my soil and climate.

I cannot believe how big the apple trees can get! I hope that I’ll be able to keep them at a reasonable height. Rootstock choices were all over the place - but I ended up with G-41 / G-890 / and Ashmead’s & Goldrush on M7. I only know what I read about each one. The gal at Vintage Apples was pushing the M111. But, I don’t want a 30’ tree! I’ll take my chances and stake instead.

(I must sound like a really ‘wet behind the ears’ apple grower.
That’s cause I am!) :upside_down_face:

1 Like

My experience is M7 about 12 feet in 25 years…and M111 about 16 to 20 feet in 25 years with seedling roots doing about 25 feet in 25 years. The G-roots make container gardening and very close plantings possible.
How well the average homeowner likes the Geneva roots, time will tell. It’s good to see all the enthusiasm new growers can have for their gardens.

Have fun at the seminar. I am sure you will enjoy it.

1 Like

25 years? I don’t plan to be around for that . . . at least not on a ladder with a long pruner in tow!
At 66 I’m starting to consider the ‘possibilities’ a bit more seriously! Every once in awhile I just pause, and hope that the next owners of our property will not take an ax to everything.
BlueBerry - would your advice be, to call and have them change my order to the M111? So much better anchorage. Too many choices for a newbee. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
The G’s just seemed to be very disease resistant - and not as tall.

1 Like

Don’t change. Apple trees on M 7 can produce a bit in 3 years and get going in year 4.

Your G rootstocks are good, too.

M 111 has good anchorage and take twice as long to produce.

I think your rootstock choices fits your preference very well.

3 Likes

Thanks, M. Appreciate the help. :slight_smile:

Hello again… I think mamuang
is correct…if you want quick results…M111 isn’t the best choice. Even M7 isn’t as early to bear as
I would like, which is why I’ve not used it in any recent plantings.
(Although if you have plenty of space, and children to pass it down to, the M111 will still be
going in 25 years from now…whereas the others may not.) I have some M7 about 27 years old that
are about finished if I don’t make serious cuts with a chain saw and hope they put out good renewal growth.)

I have a few on Antonovka standard rootstocks…and after 26 to 38 years, they haven’t made their biggest crops yet!

I’m not too far behind you in years PomGranny, so my new trees I am mostly grafting on the Geneva roots, and also the small Bud-9. ( I’m not thrilled with the need to stake though.)

1 Like

I like my trees on the smaller side but I do it mostly through interstems of Bud9 on M111 root.

2 Likes

That sounds like the best of both worlds, where you order your rootstocks from, if I may ask?

1 Like

I saved a few suckers a few years ago and propagated my own roots of M111. Pretty much the same with Bud9 in that I grafted these to water sprouts so I could get some fast growth for interstems. I’m small time so it didn’t take very many.

3 Likes

Super…thanks for sharing. (Not that any of my MM111 have any suckers…they don’t).

1 Like

Auburn - All that stuff is still ‘over my head’ . . .
But, let’s just say that I learn how to successfully graft. And next year I have some nice scions, when I prune my new trees.
You are saying that I could order some different rootstock . . . and graft to that? And if all goes well, I’ll have trees on my original tree order roots, as well as new grafted ‘younger ones’ on these other options?

One never thinks they will be ‘too old’ to get started with these things . . . until they are! LOL
By the way . . . Which rootstock, do you think, produces the very quickest? Someone like me could have a ‘temporary fruit source’, on this speedy stock - while the others are maturing. ? Like - a very dwarf rootstock, perhaps?

This may sound silly . . . but, I am also thinking about my grandkids. About giving them the thrill of going to ‘Kiki’s’ house (that’s what they call me) and picking fruit from our trees. I was hoping to be able to do that before they get to the age where it ‘is no big deal’.

4 Likes

Well I’m 69 and I occasionally thinks about such things but I try not to. Planning, planting, and then thinking about the many options there are with fruit trees in my opinion will help you stay young or at least younger. I only have a back yard to plant but if I had 10 acres I would be busy trying to fill it with fruit and berry plants. I do involve my grands with my hobby. Go for it.

6 Likes

You can go that route or buy some of the incorrect labeled big box trees and graft over to desired varieties later. The sooner they are planted the sooner you get fruit. I will be happy to send you scions when your ready and I’m sure many others will also.

1 Like

Others are more expert than I, but I got fruit very fast from Goldrush and Roxbury Russet on small rootstocks. So if you could graft or buy one of those on something small like B9 it would be about as good as it gets for speed of first fruit.

3 Likes

Thanks, Holly! I’ll take another look at B9.
At the rate we are going, this spring . . . we’ll be digging fruit tree holes till August! I really went ‘overboard’ on the ordering. Too many rainy, cold, indoor days - and too easy to hit ‘BUY’ online. (not to mention a good dose of Extreme Enthusiasm mixed with an enormous lack of impulse control!)
I started out wanting to add some new pomegranate varieties - and ended up with almost an entire multi-fruit orchard !@#$%^&*()!!
I am having a fabulous time, learning and yearning, tho . . . on this forum!

3 Likes