The 2017 fig season

Thank you, Steven.

1 Like

I did my first ever air layers on Craven’s Craving, and it’s been about 7 weeks I decided to look at them. They had a number of roots, but not a super amount. I only scored the bark. next time I will girdle it! I decided to remove them anyway, I really only need two out of three to take. One had a massive amount of roots. No doubt that one will take. I just hope the other two do well.

Water on the lens here, it was raining nice and overcast, a perfect day to do this. My camera is water proof. It can be used for photos or video underwater.

These are all spoken for, and I can’t do anymore anytime soon! Figs were removed from the plants too. I need it to focus on establishing itself.

I won’t be doing anymore off of CC anytime soon, it is a stub now! I have done this to figs and they will grow back no problem. I once cut one down like this tipped it upside down and removed from the pot. Left it that way with roots exposed to the sun for a month, and it grew! I didn’t want the plant. I decided to put it in the ground as the thing was so determined to live. I was trying to kill it!

10 Likes

So you wouldn’t remove some leaves or tent those xplants?

1 Like

I’m open to suggestions, (first time I ever did this) they were in full sun, outside. Currently humidity here is 99%.
My poor tomatoes! I see septoria spot raging by the end of the week (sigh).

2 Likes

I just do it as standard operating procedure.
Forgot to mention that those roots look awesome.

3 Likes

Aldo’s fig brebas have arrived and were delicious. I notice they didn’t get as dark as the main crop and and maybe I should have left them a day or two longer. I also notice quality is more varied with brebas, but one in particular was really sweet.

As they started to swell I saw a bird peck or 2 and quickly picked it up and put it in my screened in porch to finish ripening. With other trees, they’re just to big and unless I do a very careful job netting the birds and squirrels are merciless.

This fig is also known as Sal’s Corleone and folks have also suggested it is the same as Palermo Red, Sicilian Red and some others. Very nice flavor, but it does tend to split at the eye if we get rain during ripening. Another reason the screened in porch is great.

8 Likes

My fig trees are fairly loaded again this year, these are easy plants, and a lot of fun.

8 Likes

They are also cool looking plants.

Good to see rain. Your cracks will absorb that quickly!

1 Like

OK, well I cut some of the leaves off near the base, but I’m leaving them exposed to the already humid air. I’ll keep them in shade for a few days. It’s been a few hours no wilting or anything yet anyway. I also planted up another air layer, O’Rouke. I did this one way different, it worked, and the roots look old, hardened off. I put a pot over a sucker and filled it with soil. I cut it off and it was filled with roots you see when transplanting. Man that was even easier! No tape, top left open, I just watered it a lot.

1 Like

Your figs are much further along than mine. I’ve got pea sized fruit on a half dozen or so plants, and one has 2-3 breba that are 1 1/2 inches diameter, but they have been that way for weeks and have shown no desire to ripen.

Scott

2 Likes

Yes, i was out of rainwater, and just plain tired of watering about 120 pots, nice to do other work. Removing some summer raspberry canes, and harvesting blackberries and blueberries. Just a few, in-between the rain showers. Taking a few photos too!

6 Likes

It’s that all day southern exposure that helps me.(Chills is very close to me)
Also not all are this far along, This fabric pot swallowed the tag, Not sure what this one is?

2 Likes

Must be… I admit mine are shaded by kiwis a bit (actually much of my yard is facing kiwi shading)

Maybe I’ll move some of them around a bit.

Scott

1 Like

Also the jungle forces them to grow, if they want light they have to compete against each other.

3 Likes

I did an air layer of O’Rourke differently than most. I put a pot over a sucker, filled with soil, and watered when needed. Yesterday I looked at it and roots looked hardened off. not pure white, but how roots look when you transfer an established fig. No need to cut any leaves ZERO wilting.

What was nice, was no tape, no cutting a bottle down with a utility knife and cutting yourself twice while doing it. I almost took the tip of my finger off!

3 Likes

Sometimes you have to be patient. I tried to root a cutting in coir for 2 months. It didn’t root, so I took half and grafted it. The graft failed. I took the other half and put it in soil and just stuck it outside on the porch. Five months have passed now. Last week it actually broke a bud! Growing like crazy!

This is Medici HR Black #1

3 Likes

I had a similar experience with a cutting of JH Adriatic. Started it
in June, left it outside all winter long in a pot. This spring it broke
a bud and is now 3 ft. tall with 6 figs on it.

4 Likes

3rd year Adriatic JHs have surpassed their 6 YO mother (only a handful of ripe fruit ever), funny how the same variety performs differently.

6 Likes

I added that one last year, it was super small, and still is, well it’s doing fine, but I won’t get many if any figs, let me go look…No, no fruit but my own doing. It was one on a super skinny trunk, and when a lower bud broke, I cut off the main trunk to the bud. I need thicker branches.

1 Like

These actually surpassed their mother last year, most had ripe fruit after they got burned down their first winter. I’m actually heading towards fewer varieties now, unless you count the seedlings. Seedlings don’t count right? :wink:

5 Likes