What fruits did you eat today?

just got some early glow strawberries. raspberries are just flowering. blackcurrants are just staring to color up. my day neutral evie2 are yet to flower. I’m jealous of you guys!

2 Likes

My geeseberry are Hinnomaki red and invicta.

2 Likes

Beauty plum. It is more beautiful in looks than in taste, but this is what I have so far.

Also I have some red currants. I am going to make raw jam with them.

8 Likes

Remove the seeds, they are only good for processed jelly.

2 Likes

My wife bought some absolutely dynamite white nectarines today. Very rich flavor with good balance of sweet and acid. Wondering if they could be Jay or Glow. In saving the seeds.

2 Likes

I’m located in Burnaby, BC, Canada. It’s a suburb of Vancouver, BC. We’re Zone 8b, although we had our worst winter in 50 years this past winter with 3 months below zero C (32F) and times when temps dropped to -15C (5F) for a day or more. These low temps killed off about half my citrus collection and perhaps my Negronne fig. Otherwise my fruit trees, berries and brambles survived just fine.

And to continue this thread, today, from my Urban Farm, we ate:

Bing, Stella, Van & Rainier cherries, Duke & Bluecrop blueberries, strawberries, black & red currants, raspberries, mulberries, taye & loganberries, Sun Sugar & Sun Gold cherry tomatoes.

Still over a month away from being able to harvest apricots, peaches, nectarines, pears, Asian pears, & plums.

Two or more months away from eating my apples & persimmons.

4 Likes

Gonna message you. Sounds like you had a good haul today! Thank you.

Drew

1 Like

Thank you, @mrsg47. I’ll do it.

2 Likes

Found some apricots at the local Walmart, surprised to see those. Also picked up sone nects. The cots were pretty good, had a weak peach flavor. I don’t recall having a fresh one in ages, so I can’t say what a good one’s supposed to taste like.

1 Like

Had to drop a package at the Wallyworld in Bowling Green, Missouri last night and got a package of Cherry Plums, looked like the plums on Maria’s tree, excellent.

1 Like

Took the family fishing Thursday evening and instead of the regular special treats we took fruit instead. Much healthier but still got the sugar high. These are what got eaten, burgundy plum, emerald drop pluot, splash pluot, June pride peach, Harko nectarine, and dapple supreme pluots. All was eaten up, wished I brought more peaches, they were the main attraction!

fish on!

17 Likes

How was the fishing?

2 Likes

The fishing was good, in 2 hours we landed about 12 shad. No fish pics Thursday but here’s one from Sunday, last time I took kids out.

13 Likes

Bought Very Cherry at Walmart today for 3.48 a pound. They were very good but I mostly tasted plum.

5 Likes

We have my Mom here visiting with us, she brought some Porter (OK) peaches with her. We plan on making some cobbler and maybe some ice cream with them.

Today, the Doodette made a pie with the blackberries she’s picked over the last couple weeks. Not bad, but think the berries needed to sweeten up a bit more, but BB’s aren’t my favorites, so…

Had one of the nects and 'cots from WM last night, the nect was very tangy, but some sweet. Definitely not a freestone, just a juicy mess, but pretty good. The cot was good, too, not as tangy, but nice. Still don’t think it’s enough for me to want to grow my own, tho.

2 Likes

Green gage plum, so sweet and juicy. Also had Red Baron peach and a neighbor let me try some store bought cotton candy green grapes that were super fun, really tasted like cotton candy!

4 Likes

More mulberries, Duke & Bluecrop blueberries, raspberries, & strawberries from the garden. Had some WM yellow clingstone nectarines that are surprisingly sweet & delish for only $1.77 Cdn. So far the lowest by far prices on nectarine

2 Likes

Antmary,

I agree about beauty looking better than taste, at least fresh. They make excellent jam. A beautiful deep red with lots of zing.

1 Like

Lids, that seems quite large and early for green gage. Where is it grown?

1 Like

Murky, how do you make a jam out of them? They are clingstone and the balls of juice. Do you cut the plums and take the stone out of them? Or do you cook them first and then remove the pits? I see the jam in my near future. They also make good compotes.

1 Like