What is going on today 2017?

Yeah, I guess I should. I saw one of those metal water hose ads on TV, they supposedly don’t puncture, tangle, etc. Looks intriguing.

If I ever get that pump installed in the well by the old house, that would help too.

1 Like

The best and worst kind of humor!!:laughing:

2 Likes

Matt from Maryland is coming to visit this afternoon, with his wife and child. Should be fun! Wish he brought a truck with him, as we are moving and I have tons of garden and orchard stuff! We’ll see.

4 Likes

When is your move scheduled now?

1 Like

Sept. My husband and I both have one surgery left.

3 Likes

Today while spraying Sevin I notice a peach ripening that I hadn’t seen. I didn’t realize I had any peach set. The problem is this peach is oozing a clear substance. Anyone have an idea what this is?

3 Likes

Well, I discovered that no good deed goes unpunished. I agreed to watch my sister’s dog, and discovered he completely ruined three grafts I made (that took.). They were planted by a fence where the neighbor has a dog, and apparently they were running back and forth and barking at each other, and RIP grafts.

Here is a picture of the culprit. As you can see, this incident is really weighing on his conscience:

13 Likes

Speed,
That is a classic puncture wound. If it is a crescent shape, it is PC. If not, OFM. People say Imidan has kick back ability. I use Triazicide. No kick back. I just pick those off and out with trash.

4 Likes

Ok thanks. I removed it from the tree and since its the only stone fruit I had I guess I don’t have to worry about it the rest of the year.

3 Likes

It was a perfect day to spray…no wind and cloudy. Sprayed our apples & pears with Carbaryl and Captan. It was the first time that I’ve sprayed Carbaryl…if we ever want any decent apples & pears, I knew that I had to spray some insecticide. Some McIntosh already had some moderate scab with the recent humid weather and rain so Captan was much needed as well. Looks like a will be on a regular spray schedule for the rest of the summer…ugh.

1 Like

It was a buggy day here, of the destructive sort. I spent much of the day outside with my son. While he was swinging I spotted a pretty, orange clear-wing moth buzzing around my pumpkin plants. The dreaded Squash Vine Borer!

I also spotted my first Japanese beetle on a peach tree.

I raided my wife’s scrap-booking cabinet for a piece of yellow cardstock and painted it with Tangle Foot to try to trap the vine borers. And I gave the pumpkins a dose of spinosad + thuricide.

My new trees got the same spray to deter Japanese beetles.

1 Like

My elderberries all have flowers all over them. It appears they are all turning to berries in one degree or the other as well. One has spots on the leaves but it doesn’t seem to be of any consequence but i’m wondering what it might be? Some of the berries are very heavy and some very light I’m wondering if youcan lose them to heavy rain or if this is just natural?

2 Likes

mine have just started flowering. i have some spots on mine also. doesn’t seem to affect the plants much. i try to spay them with some neem before they flower. gets rid of the spots so i think they’re fungal.

Well, my 25 each of Earliglow and Jewel strawbs still haven’t come to life since I planted them over two weeks ago. So, I sent Nourse an email asking if they are probably dead, or just slow to awaken.

I got an response this morning and they said they’re likely dead, so that’s bad news. But, they offered to send me replacement plugs if I thought if they’d take this summer. I called them back and said I’d be willing to give it another shot. We’re expecting possible heavy rains this weekend from the remains of a tropical storm that’s hitting the gilf coast now. So, that’s why I told them to ship the replacements next week. So, hopefully, that’ll work out.

The plants they had sent me last month had great roots, but I had to pull them out of the ground when we got hit by that flash flood. They were either washed up or had roots exposed. I washed them off and put them back in the bag with some wet paper until the ground dried out, but that didn’t happen for another ten days. By then, they had started to sprout in the bags, so that was bad. I planted them anyways, but apparently it was too late. Anyways I’ll try it again, for the third time…

So, just want to say kudos to Nourse for their great customer service!

3 Likes

Out of my 10 Flavorfest only 1 made it…

1 Like

Oh no! Where did you get them from? I would’ve liked to hear how your FF did, as that variety was my third choice.

I think the replacements will do fine, as if the roots from the last batch were any indication. Will just have to be diligent about watering them when needed. They may not grow as much this year as a an earlier planted set, but they should be OK.

1 Like

Think they came from Henry Fields. I’ll have to root up some runners. I’m moving all my plants into pots. I did it int he past and had good luck, other then constant watering…i’ll have to figure out some sort of automatic watering.

1 Like

Yep. I planted 10 pine berries and 10 eversweets this spring and ZERO made it. Not a single one.

1 Like

Look at the Larry Hall Rain gutter grow system. It’s self watering. I just put one together. I’ve been looking at them for three years now. They are pretty slick. I have mine hooked to my rain barrels. He has a kit for $34 with free shipping. It’s easy to make and hook up. They have some great hybrid systems on you tube. I should have covered the top of the gutter with black plastic. Some people use four inch drain pipe and just cut the holes for the pots to keep it concealed. Here is mine:

Once the plants start to grow they will suck the water up and it won’t get stagnant. I can put one more pot on it. I have one more to hook up. You drill three inch holes in the bottoms of the buckets and put a net cup full of peat moss to wick the water up. The plants will wick more up too when they need it.

5 Likes

Nourse is a fabulous company I have ordered from them for over thirty years! They stand by their products!

3 Likes