What's happening today 2016?

Muddy that second picture is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it. Bill

1 Like

Muddy, those little guys are right out of Fantasia!

1 Like

Fast and loose with English?

2 Likes

After last nite’s rain, I come to find my runty Fuji apple on Stark’s What? dwarfing rootstock is leaning, along with its stake. Seeing signs of roots pulling out.

This tree is about ten years old and only bearing less than 2 dozen fruits. Clearly, I need to move this variety to my sturdy and vigorous Enterprise trunk, then shovel-prune it.

I had to do a little watering today, my few annual plants were starting to wilt a little. I thought they might make it until Monday when we have a chance of rain but I decided to go ahead and water today. I picked several cowhorn peppers and a couple of box car willie tomatoes. I had a bird peck the first one to ripen, I had never had a bird do that before. My Asian pears are getting bigger, I would say they are approaching the size of a tennis ball. I maybe should have thinned more.

Can anyone help me tell if this Superior plum is ripe? It is definitely softer than the others.

My Redhaven peaches are coloring up.

4 Likes

Levers-

Superior will fall from the tree a lot of times when they are ripe. The only way to know is to sacrifice it…

Are you sure that is Superior? Doesn’t seem to have much of a beak.

RAIN all day here…over an inch and it just got done pouring. Haven’t had a washout day like this in some time.

Rob-

Nope not sure that it is Superior since that it was from Gurney’s. Ha.

However, the UW/Uncommon Fruit blog says Superior puts out whippy growth and this very much fits that description. The fruit size is also smallish because I couldn’t get myself to thin clusters to 1 fruit. So maybe that accounts for the beak.

I will pick that one… not surprised that it drops fruit when ripe. The P. americanas around do that as well.

Scorching hot walleye fishing on Lake Erie. Good thing I brought my sunscreen.

8 Likes

It didn’t happen if there are no pictures of fish.

4 Likes

Gorgeous sunset, loved the fishing poles with the sunset backdrop. My wife loves to take sunset photos, hope you caught some eaters!

1 Like

25 keeper walleyes, 15 yellow perch, and a few white bass.

We will be back at it tomorrow.

I had big fish of the day, the 22" walleye on the top right

12 Likes

Awesome fish, I bet it will taste good too!

Fish fry?

I see a channel cat? in there…what is next to it…a trout of some type?

We catch a lot of those white bass on the Mississippi (a lot of people call them stripers up here). They school up so when you catch one, there is usually 20 more.

1 Like

Here are where mine are at…just showing a little color…

2 Likes

Wow, you’re studying those fish. I think the difference between whites and hybrid whites is the lines on the side, one is broken and one is straight, right?

1 Like

We went fishing on Lake Erie three weeks ago. We caught our limit in two hours. We stayed in Michigan waters. The walleyes get huge in there. We got some 30" fish ice fishing Ohio waters two winters ago. Our biggest fish a few weeks ago was 28" caught by this guys wife. I got pictures of her reeling it in getting netted and being held.

5 Likes

I think that fish is a small yellow perch that is lacking the dark vertical stripes. It’s definitely smaller than a keeper walleye.

The heat index was 108 today. Tomorrow supposed to be hotter although likely overcast with a chance of rain.

Derby, that is actually sunrise not sunset. Due to the heat advisory, the captain suggested leaving port early at 4:30am. We had 4 keepers in the boat before the sun ever came up. We fished until just after noon. Same thing scheduled for tomorrow.

The island in the background is West Sister national wildlife refuge. Near Put-in- bay.

Here is another neat sunrise picture. The time stamp says 6:19am

4 Likes