What's happening today 2016?

Very nice. Isn’t Erie shallow (lots of sand?)? I was at Cedar Point many many years ago (early 90s) and remember the view from the coasters was awesome.

We went up to Lake Superior (just outside Duluth) in August a few years back and the water was insanely cold still that late in the summer.

Those fish are very light colored. If you fish those Canadian lakes in Ontario or even Rainy Lake along the mn?canada border they are very dark colored. I suppose feed/water have a lot to do with it (stained lakes/etc). In the Mississippi when we fish walleyes we usually catch saugers along with them…the nice thing there is they taste just as good and there is no size limit…

If you want to catch pig walleyes…go fish the Fox River near Green Bay in early spring. You can literally walk across the river there are so many boats out there…and catching a 10lb fish isn’t uncommon.

Oh wow, sun rise, love it. I am a early riser but as time progresses I find sun rises less frequent!

I used to live in Wis when I was kid. The fox river ran about 1/4 mile through the woods from my back yard. It was more of a creek as far south as we lived in Menominee Falls. In the spring when they are getting ready to spawn the rivers fill up around here too. Lake Erie is world class also. Ice fishing Erie was a blast, but it can get dangerous if everything isn’t right with mother nature. I’ll see if I can dig up our picture of our limit with about ten guys. Those fish went to 32 inches! Most people are lucky to catch a pike that big imagine a walleye! They fish those with one whole minnow on each side of a treble hook live below your lure. They don’t bite with fineness either they slam it.

1 Like

Is that west sister Island? We ice fished about where the sun appears to be seven - eight miles out of Crane Creek.

1 Like

Biggest walleye i’ve caught was 26 inches out of a small slough here on the Mississippi back in the 90s. The legal limit is 15 inches so you always seem to catch a ton of 14.5 or 14 3/4s…

Usually you’ll hear of someone catching a 10lb walleye in spring, but they always are full of spawn.

That’s exactly what was happening to us on the forth out on Erie. I must have caught twenty 14.5 " walleye a bunch of white perch throwbacks and a few sheep head! Every time you get into the white perch you move back to wear the walleyes were biting. We had three and four fish on at a time. It was hard when you needed someone to net at times. Yes the hogs in the spring are mostly filled with spawn. The Ohio DNR likes you to catch the big ones because they feed so heavily and clear lots of little fish out. The best eaters are the little ones.

It looks some of yours also have a pointy beak too. Some of mine do and some don’t.

I ate the red one. It gave me a good reference point at least. It was sweet. But not quite ripe. The end was somewhat soft but the rest wasn’t. Still way better than the last CA plums I got from Costco. They were duds because of the cultivar I think.

Today was much different conditions. Much cooler and no sun issues but we got stuck in a huge storm. The morning started out pretty good but the conditions degraded quickly . 22 keepers today and a hundred throw backs. Next year should be better fishing.

2 Likes

Found myself surfeited with apricots - put the rest into the dehydrator

I’ve harvested all the Saturn from my tree. The squirrels were making runs with it! Total counts were about 140 for a 3 years old tree. Some are decently sized-up but more under-sizes than the former. I probably should have plucked more off… but I did pruned off like over 60 some percent! Next year, there’ll be heartlessly more off than save!

13 Likes

Well, that’s a drawback I hadn’t thought of. The shape is easier for squirrels to hold and escape with! They probably think you planted those Saturns just for their convenience.

1 Like

Very clean fruit, Tom. No rot. Great job.

I caught them many times while they were in actions! Thus the decision to get all in…

I like your innocent comment! :grin:

Tom

I sprayed insecticide twice and nothing else. Maybe it’s beginner’s lucks!

Well, if you did not spray any fungicide and your fruit are clean like that, lucky you.

1 Like

I had a pretty good sized Seckel pear limb break today full of fruit. My fault…i should have thinned…very low branch too…oh well…the tree needed thinning.

Hacked my Alderman plum…probably took off a 1/3 of the tree…getting way too tall to spray.

My record here in the St Clair River is 11lb 3oz. I usually catch 3-5 pounders, but some 7 pounders can show up too. I try to catch 10 or so a year, my record is about 300 one year. When I fished all the time one summer. I have a place where walleye live. So I just have to grab a pole. You don’t even need a boat, but it is better off the boat. The 11 pounder was caught off shore on a pencil plug. Silver with blue spots. Caught at night.

2 Likes

I braided my softneck garlic today

10 Likes

@Drew51 That is some beautiful garlic Drew!