What's happening today 2016?

Yes, I closed the place down. I may go up in the winter, but no water. You have to use snow, melt it to flush toilet.

Yes, a little bit, first of the year.

Yes a wood stove insert in my fire place. it works really well.

Yes

Muskie, pike, some salmon in spring and the fall, unsure what type? Walleye, perch, white, silver, small and large mouth bass. Bluegill, channel catfish, sturgeon, sheephead, two types of suckers, and carp.
The river can freeze over but is unsafe, often breaking with pieces of ice sticking out 30 feet into the air. We use the Harsens Island ferry which runs all year, and walk from there along the shore edge. We are at the end of a chain of islands.

One of many canals on the island.

Notice the chains on the golf cart tires.

5 Likes

“Beauty walks a razor’s edge…”
– Bob Dylan

Brrr, that snow does not look appealing. Guess 30 years in Texas has spoiled me! I had to chuckle seeing chains on golf cart tires. Good to see there’s electricity on the island, too.

Got a small taste of Winter the last couple of evenings out in the deer blind. Had long johns on, with a long sleeve shirt, jeans, with a parka, and insulated gloves. I was OK, except my legs were getting cold, think I’ll need to break out the hunting bib tomorrow…

2 Likes

Your description made me cold! I’m not much on winter, it is what it is. Luckily not that long, although it seems to be the longest season. I love fall though. After being hot all summer, the color and cooler air are appealing. Your place sounds interesting, and surprisingly cold and not that far behind here. Good luck btw, hope you get one!

I was tired of the heat and humidity back in July and August, it was the worst since we moved here a couple years ago. Wonder what kind of Winter we’ll get, need to check the almanac.

Was going to get up earlier this morn, and go out, but it’s 23, and the bed was warm, and the heat is on! Maybe tomorrow morn. Will def be out this evening again. Last couple of evenings I’ve seen a couple of bucks, but they weren’t in good positions for me to take a shot.

We wanted to go back to the PYO orchard and get one last batch of apples before winter. I wonder if this kind of cold will damage the apples still on the trees?

My neighbor had his orange stuff drying on the line yesterday, but I don’t know if/what he got

They showed up just in time for Thanksgiving.

15 Likes

Fabulous! How did they know?

1 Like

Escapees!!

They (wild turkeys) are thick around here. When I was in the deer blind a few days ago, they were making an awful racket up in the trees, flying from limb to limb, squawking all the while. They can fly pretty well- it’s quite awe-inspiring to see and hear a flock of them flying over.

Add dry leaves and it sounds like deer coming from all direction! :grin:

1 Like

Isn’t that the truth, then you hear one fly up and you know it was all turkeys.

We usually see a flock of a mother and her babies in the spring. They hang around our neighborhood until this time of the year. No one I know hunts.

It is amazing to see such big birds fly so high. I would have thought they would be too heavy to lift off :grin:

Being at my cottage the last tree weeks I saw flocks of some kind of crane or heroin? Vocal, like Canadian geese, just a lot different sounding, huge birds too. I can’t wait to get a real camera again, I miss my 35 MM film.

Maybe Tundra Swans?

Yes, that could be them! I wish I took photos. It was very cool, the only sound was the birds. Very calming, beautiful to see. I saw three or four groups go over in a week. Many swans are around here, thanks for posting, bet you’re right. I never seen cranes fly together, only solitary birds fishing. Same with Blue Heroins, which are magnificent birds. Two years ago i saw an eagle on the island. I never thought I would see that! They are coming into the area, many nests have been seen in the county.

1 Like

Oh, there will be ‘Page’ mandarin mimosas for Thanksgiving:

8 Likes

Last of my Anna apples. These flowered and fruited well after the initial crop. Not sure how they’ll taste but they smell good.

3 Likes

Drew I think you mean Blue Herons. Heroin is the nasty drug.

2 Likes

Sand hill cranes maybe? They make a high pitched sound sort of like a Canada goose. They are big, 100s of thousands of them winter in the panhandle of Texas where I live.

Hey sub, might be worth considering chasing the turkeys away from your blind. In my experience, the other species are aware of each others danger/intruder signals. So if the turkeys are squawking that there’s a predator nearby (you), the deer will pick up on that…