What's happening today 2016?

Yes, thanks, I was unsure of spelling? Heroin can be a very useful drug though. It’s the best pain killer out there, The best pain killer we use is Oxycontin, which is an opioid, like Heroin, it is derived from Opium. Opioid agonists are some of the most effective pain relievers available. Unlike other analgesics, opioid agonists have an increasing analgesic effect with increased doses. Meaning that the more you take, the better you feel. Other analgesics, like aspirin or acetaminophen, have a threshold to their effectiveness. You can see why, particularly for people who suffer chronic pain, a medication like OxyContin can be so beneficial: It can potentially provide up to four times the relief of a non-opioid analgesic, so even the most severe degree of pain can be managed.

I started transplating trees from the nursery to the orchards yesterday.

Doing battle with voles
Opps, looks like Honey Sweet is a pear but its doing okay on M111

5 Likes

Accursed voles!

1 Like

Thanks, Steve. How close are we talking about? The turkeys have been up in the trees on the hillside. I can’t tell exactly how close they are, but I would say they’re at least 100yd away, so I don’t know if they’re on to me. They’re not in the trees all the time, just on certain days.

We have a couple days of rifle season left, and still haven’t harvested anything. This my first serious season of hunting, so if anything, I hope I have learned something about it.

If you can hear the turkeys’ calls then the deer can too no doubt.

I don’t have any direct cross species experience with deer, but have observed it with other species. Certainly my chickens know the crows “hawk in the area” call. And I have noticed other critters take notice when squirrels give their warning call when I am walking through the woods.

Since I don’t hunt deer (I am usually chasing them out of my garden/orchard) just have not had the chance to notice what they pick up on. But with a species as skittish as deer during hunting season, I’d be surprised if they don’t take notice of other animals’ warning signs. (Maybe eastern deer are less jumpy than our western mule deer?)

A neighbor who does tree work dropped of this load of wood chips. I’ll be spreading them under trees, the blueberry patch, and covering the inground figs.

12 Likes

Good neighbor!

3 Likes

Moved all my container trees into the garage (i lay cardboard under everything…the worms will kick soil out of the drain holes making a mess). Latest that i can ever remember doing this. I could tell some of the pots were frozen. We had a good rain within the last week (not much evaporation when the sun never comes out–last week has been nothing but clouds) and its been low 20Fs and 30Fs the last few days. Snow tonite (first real snow) and cold is in the forecast (maybe some low teens in the next week)… Probably could leave them until single digits, but i don’t feel like moving trees when its that cold.

2 Likes

I planted my male pistachio in the rain

4 Likes

Those trees will enjoy the full sun from your open space.

Tony

2 Likes

We got our first snow in SE Iowa today. It was a heavy, wet snow. My apples were really hanging on to their leaves this fall even though we had a couple nights below 25 F. I went out to strip the leaves to reduce the chance of snow breaking branches.

7 Likes

So it is here, as well

1 Like

Stripping the leaves off some peach trees in a South facing raised planter. I do this to allow more heat/light into a micro-climate that’s conducive to over Wintering frost sensitive crops. It’s an important step for ensuring year round tomatoes, zucchini and such. I’m bringing in ‘Roma’ tomatoes and ‘Cayenne’ peppers as we speak.

Now nearly mid-December in 6b and with several nights in the low 20s/hi teens, and days in the 30s, my unknown nectarine has finally began to drop still green leaves. Up until today it’s looked as good as it did in August, lush green and no apparent damage from cold or wind. I’ve seen others here say they were slow to go dormant, but didn’t expect this stubborness. I may get a dormant spray done yet!

Looking out the window, seeing the ground covered in snow and the Gala apple and Frankenplum still leafed out green

‘Washington’ navels great right now:

5 Likes

Went outside to get a scion count and noticed several metal tree ID tags gone. Tied on with wire. Geeeeze. I’m thinking squirrels and crows took them. Dang!!

Unfortunately I think I may have the same problem. I’ll have to make a better assessment tomorrow. I grafted to much last year I’d hate to loose count. Oh well, if I do lose them I’ll figure out what they are when they eventually fruit.

Just in case,right after doing a graft,I write the name on either the scion or connecting branch with a small diameter felt type pen,that lasts longer than a Sharpie.It’s called an IDentiPen by Sakura Color Products and has two tips,a fine and an extra fine. Brady

2 Likes

It’s shuffle time here. I lugged most of my trees back outdoors at the beginning of last week. Tomorrow I bring a few of the most tender back inside and finish bringing in the rest in for the projected 30 degree Friday night. Then they get to go back out for another week before commuting back indoors next Friday.

It was a sunny and warm Christmas Day here. The two weeks of chill, rain and gloomy skies that hung around after the beginning of December had been wearing my spirits down. I start counting down the end of winter before the leaves create their full autumn glow.

4 Likes