White Winter Pearmain

This question has arisen before. My guess is that some vendor had too little space on their tags for “Winter”.

1 Like

WWP slices after sitting out on the dining room table for 12 hours.

4 Likes

TY. I was looking at buying one for next season. I have seen them listed both ways. The descriptions sometimes are lacking as well.

5 Likes

How many apples will you let that tree carry @Richard

A dozen or so per crop. I’m expecting 2 crops this year and a third that ripens in Jan.-Feb.

1 Like

Thank you, I need to do some thinning on a young gold rush tree and that helps me understand how much to thin.

1 Like

6 Likes

Looks great. I have two slots left for placing trees. I keep debating on what ones to pick. You are talking me into buying a WWP tree.

1 Like

I got 2 or 3 ‘takes’ on WWP last year…haven’t planted any in my orchard yet, though.
(My hope is to use it as a mother or father for some experimental crosses.)

1 Like

with cinnamon and nutmeg

6 Likes

Our apple tree did not need much pruning this year – maybe a dozen small branches.

6 Likes

I was hastily running through inventory today checking on things…and snipping a little scionwood of those that are threatening to break dormancy. Have at least two little grafted trees, either on G30 or B9 of the White Winter Pearmain. Never tried one…but looking forward to it someday.

1 Like

Maybe you have mentioned this before but I will ask you again. What rootstcock(s) are you using?

1 Like

Love seeing all of these progression pictures of all of your trees :+1: I have looked at severalnof your different threads and each one is very great! Thanks for all of these :relaxed:

2 Likes

It’s M-111.

1 Like

TY. It looks very compact.That is why I asked. I would like to keep a few of mine in that shape and size. So much easier to handle.

1 Like

In my experience apple trees slow down a lot when the central leader is cut and scaffolding is forced by repeated selective pruning of side branches. After 3-5 years of getting the desired shape they’ll be a few years of little required maintenance. Then the scaffolds will start sending whips skyward!

3 Likes

Great info. TY for your advice. I will give a few of mine a try like that.

2 Likes

Janet - not being one to trust apple ripeness here by the color of skin, picked a few samples from our tree and víola, we have chicken-apple burritos for dinner! The chicken was baked but the apples were just peeled and diced before rolling the tortillas.

4 Likes