Wild high bush blueberry

We were kayaking today in a nearby pond we never have been before. Some large, probably 8-9’ tall bushes covered with blue berries got my attention. They were growing almost like mangroves, right on the water line, but without roots hanging toward water. When we puddle closer I realized it is wild blueberries. I saw wild high bush blueberries before, but they never were so tall. We got a great midday snack there right from the bot. Interesting, that they are growing on a small island, but only on shore line, like one bush deep. I got out of kayak onto the island and it was no high bush inland, only regular very low wild ones. I understand now, why garden blueberries require a lot of water - they probably a cross made from those high bush blueberries. Nature is amazing :slight_smile:.

6 Likes

probably serviceberries/juneberries. the fruit looks similar and they grow a lot taller than a blueberry. got 4 on my land that i just picked from today. even the leaves look similar to blueberries. more sweeter tasting than a blueberry. not as tangy.

1 Like

No, I know service berries well and kind of dislike their bland taste. it is completely different berry. No, it was real blueberries, you can’t mistake the taste. We are going there again tomorrow morning for fishing, I will make a picture,

5 Likes

hmm… id be going back there and dig a few of those babies up and transplant. could be someone has a high bush on that waterbody and some of the berries got washed to shore there. my uncle has 6 varieties of high bush. biggest is 5 ft. but if they’re shaded heavily they probably stretch more. interesting!

2 Likes

I think this is what it is: Vaccinium corymbosum - Wikipedia. The waterbody is a pond in state forest. And they growing only on small island, not on shore. For taking them home - I don’t think they will survive the garden location - they literally grow almost in the water. I bet when water level is higher in the pond, their roots submerged under water level.

2 Likes

The sandy soil near the water line probably has all carbonates washed out so it’s acidic.

4 Likes

I found similarly tall 9-11’ tall northern high bush blueberries at the Richmond Nature Park about 30 m drive from us. The bushes are growing on a peat moss bog so yeah, they like wet feet.

Anthony

3 Likes

I found one growing in my yard, might be a natural hybrid of native low bush and high bush as it grows to around 4’ and has a spread of 7’. It has been very productive the last few years but some screen is necessary because the birds really favor it. Great wild blueb flavor. Great year for all these in Maine!

5 Likes

we only have the low bush natives wild up here. tasty but very small. about pea size is biggest. i have a northland and 2 patriots in the yard that are starting to ripen. had to support the branches with stakes as they are so laden with berries, they were laying on the ground! :wink:

3 Likes

I returned there today and made some pictures:

Behind them are pines, so their needles also take care of soil acidity, so perfect growing conditions. The size of the berries is not much bigger then low bush wild, and smaller then most of garden blueberries.

9 Likes

Galina,
Which pond is this?

1 Like

Doesn’t look like any blueberry bush I’ve ever seen. Wow, its a Franken-BB. The ones I saw were very tall, but not super wide nor did they have huge, thick branches.

Anthony

1 Like

It does look like an old school High Bush, but never seen one that size. Serviceberry was mentioned, but you know their are all kinds of them too from shrub to tree, from bland to amazing fruit. Much like mulberries. It looks more like a blueberry to me.

1 Like

@mamuang, it is Paradise pond in Leominster State Forest, you need a boat to get to the blueberries.
@UrbanAggie, they may not be that wide, it is probably several bushes.
@Drew51, it is blueberries, for sure I know the taste. Leaves look like blueberries as well, berries too.

2 Likes

Lucky you !!!

1 Like

that is a monster for sure! great find! how was the fishing?

1 Like

Fishing was fun! We got about 3 pounds. But fish was generally small, just 3 of OK size. Cleaning it was not so fun though :grin:. Very spiky, but very good fried. But next time I will be more picky what to keep and what to release :grinning:.

4 Likes

Them’s piranhas? :yum:

Dax

3 Likes

To tell you the truth - I have no idea :slight_smile:. I only know they didn’t look like those you have to measure to get, so it was under column “other” :grinning:. I am trying to identify them now.
I think I got them all:
Yellow perch, bluegill, pumpkinseed, white sucker.

3 Likes

i don’t see sucker but you got the others. try filleting them next time. a lot easier to eat. :wink: nice mess of panfish!

2 Likes