Mortgage Lifter
Crimson Forest
Big Rainbow
Cherokee Purple
Gardener’s Delight
Mr. Stripey
Black Krim

3 Likes

Don’t feel like you need to plant them all. They can last for decades if you store them somewhere dark, cool and dry.

3 Likes

Thanks dwn. Crimson is actually an onion. But the rest are maters.

Even though I only bought sample packs with about 15 seeds per pack I didnt plant them all. I out 2-3 seeds per plant and did 4 plants of each. Ill only have room for 1 of each of the varieties. Ill give the other plants away to friends and family. Ill get a good idea of which ones I like most and their disease tendency.

I’d buy the Box Car Willie tomato just on the name alone. I’ve gotta find one to plant this year.

I’m happy to see a reccomendation of this one, even if you are in a very different climate.
I just grafted a Stump Of The World, and a Brandywine O.T.V. night before last. So far they look good, hopefully I will get to try them and others this year. Also gonna TRY and grow Paul Roebson, and others.

1 Like

You better make some extra room Steve I mailed out some seeds on Monday for you.

1 Like

Thanks Pod. What’s your favorite deep flavor slicing tomato?

I like the black tomatoes. Cherokee purple, black krim, Sara black. Every year seems to be a different favorite. I have grown probably at least 1000 varieties and the blacks seem to always shine for me when it comes to flavor. Omar"s Lebanese is also great tasting and very large. Had one over 3 lbs couple years back. I sent you about 50 varieties of tomatoes and now come to think of it some I just mentioned I did not send. I get a little carried away when I send seeds and I have to stop myself. Enjoy.

6 Likes

You’re just an enthusiastic sharer! I’m very happy to be trialing varieties you sent, that I didn’t know existed! Thanks again! :smile:

2 Likes

Just read this entire post and either I’m lacking in tomato taste experience or what I think taste good isn’t liked by others. My favorite is Celebrity and Sweet 100. Living in the Deep South by the humid Gulf I have to plant bulletproof tomatoes. Planted 42 Celebrity seedlings today.

1 Like

I think tomato taste can be highly influenced by situation. We get hot and dry in the summer, humidity is not a problem and some tomatoes have intense flavour in my garden others do not.

After reading this thread I think my standard 2 varieties to grow has just increased. :yum:

1 Like

After many years of decent tomatoes we finally removed some large trees who’s roots were invading our garden beds and now we have awesome organic tomatoes! These are Cherokee purple, Mr. stripey and Big beef. We are really impressed with the CP as it produces 10 tomatoes to the others 1. Really nice to not have to buy these at the farmers market for 5 bucks a piece! We have been slicing tomatoes with dinner for two weeks, time for some BLTA s now.

9 Likes

There seems to be a fourth variety in this photo. The big dark red tomato by the CP, looks like Brandywine to me. CP is certainly a great tasting tomato, one of my favorites.

1 Like

The bottom 4 are CP, just get dark red on bottoms. They are purplish red inside, like the tops.

1 Like

Those are splendid!

1 Like

I like pink tomatoes the best . Pink Brandywine is excellent .

1 Like

Cuore di Bue

1 Like

I’m with you…not too many grow well down here… I’ve tried the heirlooms and i’m lucky to get one tomato from them. I do grow brandywine but nothing down here can beat a good Celebrity… bread and mayonnaise… sorry to the others but I agree with you @darkman!!

katy

1 Like

K8t, Eva Purple Ball, J.D.'s Special C-Tex, and Druzba do well in the heat.

2 Likes

Maybe that is my problem. I have been trying to grow heirloom varieties for the past three to four years with little or no success. Like you mentioned , maybe one or two tomatoes at most. I could not figure out what I was doing wrong. I will switch over to hybrid ones next year. Too late to do any now.

1 Like