2 trees, 1 hole

patty. that is a wonderful walkway. I have sort of planted mine to be similar coming from the pool to the veggie garden. Love it.

Thanks, Mike! I love having fruit trees down the walkway. We needed to plant something along the walkway that was pretty, eye-catching, etc., so why no edible fruit? It’s just so fun. I’m going to re-plant some passaflora along the chainlink fence. We had some mixed in with our (horrid) blue Morning Glories that are only still on the fence because my husband adores they flowers, and he’s willing to take his machete, and cut them away from my trees every so often (no lie - uses a machete). The only benefit of that dumb vine, besides the pretty flower, is it attracts a lot of bees and bumblebees, so I tolerate it. We has some Passaflora growing on the fence a couple of years ago which attracts the Gulf Frittilary butterfly, and that was fun to watch while sitting down in the lower covered patio. So, going to either order or run out and buy some this week and re-plant. Post some pics of your walkway from the pool to the veggie garden, love to see it!

California feeds the world and almost everyone with any sized lot has some fruit trees. It’s probably LE Cooke’s and Four Winds Growers main market as well. That doesn’t mean that the DWN instructions won’t work elsewhere, and I never said they were inflexible. Very low N is definitely called for – even less than @scottfsmith is using. Be that as it may, one should always apply new methods on a trial basis. .

Linking in from my original post:

All have similar environments, Certainly not NY, VT, RI, or MI.

For now, until you run out of water. That will never happen here. Great Lake levels are increasing.
We rank first in 18 commodities, the world depends on us too.

Nice play, celebrating someone else’s misfortune. The drought is sure to impact you and your family as well. Your food prices are going to rise along with everyone else’s. You’re going to argue the point, and I’m going to ignore anything you have to say from now on,

1 Like

I never said that nor implied it, I find your words extremely insulting. Those are your words, not mine.
How you could possibly come up with that says more about you than me. I don’t need anything from CA, sorry to disappoint. Really I don’t use CA products. I would, but we have plenty of local product. Our fruit in the winter comes from Chile, and Florida. We get produce from the south, the southern states, and South America. As far as taking advantage, nothing personal, business is business.
I agree prices will probably go up, but it’s not my fault! Why are you projecting your problems on me? Why not direct your energy to those responsible for mismanaging your resources? No doubt they have been terribly mismanaged. Water is one of many problems your state has. Hopefully you can turn it around somehow, Good luck, it can be done with the right management.

The reason we have supplies from other places is the eastern ports are a lot closer, and cheaper to get product here. Everything from CA has to be shipped via trucks or planes, and the distance is a problem. We have our own port in Detroit. It’s mostly used to supply the auto industry with raw materials, but we do get some international traffic via the St Lawrence Seaway.

1 Like

Folks, please keep in mind the following from the site guidelines:

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

• Name-calling.
  • Ad hominem attacks.
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
  • Knee-jerk contradiction.

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

In particular, there is a strong line between talking about topics and talking about individuals. Please stay on the topics side of that line going forward on this thread. Thanks.

3 Likes

This is the problem with digital media communications. we lose all the verbal and physical cues that we get with other ways of communicating.

The same words… [quote=“Drew51, post:44, topic:739”]For now, until you run out of water.[/quote] … depending on the tone and tempo of voice or the facial expression could be taken as (1) " you’re right but unfortunately only until you run out of water" or (2) “don’t be so arrogant 'cause its only until you run out of water” or (3) “naive cause its only until you run out of water”, etc.

We also interpret things based on our specific mood at the time we become aware. The “cues” we get from audial and visual communications are especially important in helping us understand what was actually “meant”.

So, if feeling insulted or targeted it may be a good idea to stop and think to see if an actual insult or jab was really intended before responding.

Thanx Scott for reminding us before this “back and forth” got out of hand.

BTW… Spring is springing in Brooklyn, NY :smile: :smile: :smile:
Mike

And with 4 consecutive years of drought most CA gardeners are probably just a bit sensitive. A single dry rainy season there used to drive me batty. Summer rain does have its good points.

Thanks Scott. When attacks come out it’s hard to put them back in the bottle. Bill

Well to clarify if you look at my whole post it was about MI competing with CA. Nothing more. So now you know what i meant. We have mouths to feed here too. I did nothing wrong. The emotional attack on me, not the subject was a clear violation of the rules. Sorry to comment but if you’re going to pick apart my words, guess at meanings, I’m going to respond to clarify. Although I think my original statement is very clear. I did not violate any rules here.

You raise such an important point. Growing fruit is often about learning how to grow fruit in one’s particular context. I cringe when people want a one or two sentence about how to grow fruit…especially when they’ve already become enamored with a glossy catalog or artist rendering. My experience, in MI., with growing peaches and taking notes from DWN, hasn’t been great. But that’s my experience. Growing fruit is a continual learning process for me and you get to understand, and appreciate the area you’re growing in.

1 Like

The area AND the specific site. Most on this forum work one site- one soil and I think it is useful to know that there can sometimes be as much fluctuation in performance from site to site as region to region.

2 Likes

Not to hijack this post…but on the topic of water: has anyone utilized keyline design and/or swales with their fruit trees?

I attended a Mark Sheppard workshop this past weekend (Mark interpreted Yeoman’s water harvesting method) and the new growers he was advising will design their property to harvest and distribute water this way. This system of design has been on my brain for several years now.

Drew,

My comment was NOT directed at either you or MrClint. I was just making a general comment relating to the loss of certain context in the world of keyboard strokes.

I was just pointing out that the same words could be taken differently. When I read the phrase in your post I did not take in the same way that MrClint obviously had. His state of mind in dealing with the drought stress obviously had an impact in the way that he took it. Your reaction to his perceived overreaction was a natural progression.

I was particularly attuned to this because my daughter had just gotten into a serious tiff with a friendd precisely because they each read/interpreted a short written comment in a different way.

Addittionally, I see why you might have thought that I directed my post at you (note I did not “reply” to you but just made a generic" reply).

You see, in order to save keysrtrokes I tried to “copy and paste” the phrase rather than typing it out. I just hapenned to “copy” it from your post and the system added “Drew” to my “paste”. Another example when trying to save keystrokes possibly led to a mis-understanding which also goes to support my point. I was not trying to pick your words apart.

I was just trying to break the tension that seemed to be building up.

Mike

1 Like

love this!!! Beautiful. Good job, well done!!