2016 graft thread

Jesse…

2 weeks in, I can say that today, for the first time, I have noticed a tiny (pin sized really) speck of green on a pawpaw I grafted.

I’m not ready to stop holding my breath yet, though.

Scott

1 Like

Nice looking grafts Matt

1 Like

Matt I wish you were closer. I’d shadow you for an hour or so of grafting.

When did you graft these?

Scott

The grafts look great.

2 Likes

Thanks Chills.

I use a variation of @applenut’s methods. I think his tutorial videos are the best.

I am finding cleft grafts and chip grafts work best. I also do an occassional saddle graft or rind graft.

My most successful grafts are those that are given apical dominance (performed at the top of the central leader or highest branch). Cut or pinch off any buds or growth above and below where the desired scion was placed. Let it sit high in the most premium spot and remove its competition.

3 Likes

Seems like most of my apple grafts have taken. The electrical splicing tape is great, but it seems to be breaking down fast. I had to go back and retape some of my grafts.

4 Likes

John,
Nice job. I have had a few scionwood that produced flower clusters, too. I removed them all to let the new grafts grow.

Wow! Are you using 3m temflex 2155 or a different brand. I’ve never seen 2155 splicing tape break down like that. I use it on all my grafts. Your looks grey and dry rotted. I had some that were left on since spring 2015 and had to cut them with a razor to get them off. I haven’t used it for bark grafting though. I have used it for cleft grafting 1.75" wood though.

1 Like

I grabbed the ace hardware brand. Oops! Thankfully I only did about twenty grafts with it!

Yes I’m going to remove them, didn’t have the right cutters with me.

Just curious what variety is it?

1 Like

That could be the problem. Not saying for sure since I’ve never tried the ACE brand but the 3M tape is darker black and as mentioned I’ve never seen it break down or oxidize. When I get home tonight I’ll take some pictures of some of my grafts.

1 Like

Not sure, I took some scion wood from a neighbor that has it growing in her yard that her mother planted years ago.it has sweet tart flavor I like. Seems to self pollinate really well. I’m going to try to figure out the type of apple this year. I also grafted some wild apple wood too that was growing on a tough little tree near our beach.

1 Like

Yeah should of stuck with the name brand or this is just a different type. Still great to work with when wrapping the grafts.

Once you have success in grafting, you’ll be love it from now on.

I did some last year with good success for pome and plums, and not so good with peaches.

This year, I grafted 50 + and most took (including most of peaches!!) so the good feeling of success help alleviate the disappointment of having barely any fruit set this year :smile:

5 Likes

Congrats! I had the weather forecast change on me in my second peach round and it looks like it will be 100% failures from that. It gives me more hard evidence of how cool and peach grafts don’t get along, and why they can be so hard. My earlier round went fine as the weather was good for a whole week.

3 Likes

Yes I finally planted an apple tree in my yard away from the gardens. In a few years I will graft it into a semi dwarf frank entree with different levels of apples.

Scott,
Thank you.
All my first round of 10 peach grafts took. Grafted on 5/10 when the weather was in low 70’s for 3 days, then went down to 60’s. All took included your Harrow Delight pear as I got it mixed up with Harrow Diamond peach!!! Yes, my foolishness showed up again :blush:

The second round of peaches went in on May 25-26 when the weather was in the 80’s. Some showed signs of taking but too soon to tell.

Euro plums (and a couple beach plums)on myrobalan

Arctic Glo nectarine on p. Americana

Nursery alley is starting to green up, only 6 more yards of chips to spread…

Illinois Everbearing mulberry on m alba

Z grafted plum from last year, completely healed over a 1" stub in one season.

3 Likes

Looks like @SkillCult’s newest frankentree is filling in nicely. I hope he doesn’t mind my posting his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz9Asxt-u1U