2016 graft thread

How about a thread dedicated to the grafts members are doing for 2016 . I have several I have done recently on rootstock I have in the house just for the heck of it. Here is one I did a little earlier that is starting to take off. It is a “39th parallel” apple that was sent to me from the member on here by the same name !

The others I have done more recently have the buds just showing signs of opening.

4 Likes

Great Idea! A few of mine have started to take off. If we get a break in the weather here, I’ll try and snap a few pics tomorrow

1 Like

39th parallel looks good. I know that apple they taste excellent.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that picture. It always makes me happy to see fruit that I helped to supply.

I am a little behind in my grafting this year but am excited to work with a bunch of red fleshed varieties. I love how there wood is red.

here is a picture of my bench grafts from a couple years ago:

14 Likes

Its an army!!!

:smile:

3 Likes

We got a temporary break from the rain and I was able to get a few pics

Mutsu apple

Fuji apple

Spring Satin plumcot

Black Ruby plum? I think

A T-bud I did late last summer, I figured was dead, but turned out to be alive. Can’t remember what variety

Not grafts but baby plum rootstocks for this summer/next year.

6 Likes

39thparallel, how do you get those long perfect cuts? Are you doing that by hand(knife?), or device? What kind of technique do you use?

John

1 Like

Here is a couple more
Williams Pride sent to me by @mamuang. It is on of two grafts of Williams Pride I did a wile back and they are both leafing out. This one I brought the root stock right in from where it was under the snow and grafted it right then. The grafted scion ( I broke the top bud off wile grafting) had sap running out the top of it the next day and for several days after that !

This one is a Cinnamon Spice sent to me by @39thparallel . I grafted it onto a root stock that the voles had cut off right to the ground .

The 39th parallel graft I posted at the beginning of this thread has doubled in size!

4 Likes

Chris,
Congrats. If you ever need more WP, you know where to ask.

1 Like

Looks good!
What rootstock are you using?
Did I send you Red Cinnamon? It has not fruited yet for me but grows an very impressive nicely branched tree.

They are on seedling root stock as that is what I was able to get to at the time. I have room around the property for more full sized trees but plan on B-9 and ELMA-7 for my row plantings. What I am waiting for is real spring to graft over the almost two dz mature apple trees scattered around the property.
Yes you did send me Red Cinnamon but I have not grafted it yet.

1 Like

I always enjoy pictures of field grafts. Are you using flagging tape on your bench grafts?

I have a 98% success rate on apple bench grafts cutting a whip & tongue buy hand. The rootstock in the picture is 3/8" really to large for benchgrafts but I was able to make it work. That was my first year grafting. I now use 1/4" and NEVER use electric tape. I have a grafting tool but don’t like it. The whip & tongue puts a large area of cambium in contact and you only need align one side. It is very forgiving if the scion is smaller than the rootstock which is generally the case.

3 Likes

Yes , it works real well but it needs to be cut off after the grafts take. A few of the recent ones I have been doing on B-9 and ELMA-7. Real spring I still a ways away here so they get potted up. I have found that it really doesn’t affect them to transplant them later on .

2 Likes

Well, I tried my hand at some apple grafting today. I decided to take the plunge as my rootstock were leafing out after pulling them up from the nursery row a couple weeks ago and storing them outside on my patio.

All four are two year old G.969 rootstock. Scions are Enterprise, Kidd’s Orange Red, and 2x Hawkeye Delicious.

Haha… I took these pictures after cleaning up… you should have seen the pile of scion chips all over.

5 Likes

39th,

Just curious, what did you use for weed control for those new grafts, as the summer progressed?

Make sure you give us an update later this summer !

Will do! I am crossing my fingers as these are my first grafts.

1 Like

Myrobalan plum interstem onto Luna peach x almond interspecific rootstock.

Uploading…

1 Like

First I tried laying out cardboard and mulch. That resulted in damaging trees and creating cover for voles. I was able to keep things under control the next year with surgically precise applications of roundup and some hand weeding. This year I am also using prowl pre-emergent