2017 jujube crop

Just to be very clear, you do not have Honey Jar on its own roots. This seedling is not Honey Jar. It’s a seedling FROM Honey Jar, but it’s not Honey Jar.

1 Like

Yep, I will plant out my good tasting Honey Jar seedling in-ground next Spring. I will be collecting any suckers of it and give them to family members. What I see is that the seedlings usually will be very productive without the need for cross pollination.

Tony

1 Like

Yes. I understand that and of course I misspoke—please insert the word seedling after Honey Jar. As I was speaking of growing HJ seedling I assumed you would know of what I was speaking.

When someone says " I do have a Honey Jar on its own roots" that’s very clear and requires no assumptions or interpretations on the part of the reader. It means precisely what it says and cannot be interpreted in any other fashion. We had been discussing getting Honey Jar on its own roots and in direct response to that discussion you said you had it on its own roots. Matt then asked you how you got it on its own roots. Why would anyone know that you meant the exact opposite of what you said?

Chico jujubes. Sometimes the fruit is bigger late in the season.

5 Likes

Another dumb question: If perhaps HJ does not send out roots as vigorously as perhaps other jujubes, then why not just make cuttings and root them? Has anyone tried that? Are these hard to root from cuttings?

Touché! @castanea I stand corrected and a lesson has been learned!

3 Likes

Planting everything you want in the yard is like leaving a crime ring…just when you think you’re out, they pull you back in again.

Jujubes can’t be grown here, so I am not even fazed. It is just a curiosity to read about!

1 Like

we managed to get just a couple HJ’s (out of dozens) to root using cuttings, but very slow-growing. Airlayers are obviously more promising, since the clone will be supported by sapwood, but admittedly too lazy to try them in our torrid and bone-dry conditions.

have come across this scientific paper in Israel which demonstrated mass-cloning/rooting jujubes via tissue-culture using a slew of hormones which find so promising. My only worry is if overall vigor and longevity may be compromised just like our two versions of Dolly here

2 Likes

i, too, got hyped up about it but ultimately deciphered what you meant to say. Goes to show how juju cultivars being grown on their own roots will be met with a bit of scrutiny. A prized possession if anybody has one(especially if productive, not runty, and has a tendency to sucker)

the thing is that most fruit trees, even when self-pollinated, will not produce clones of itself when germinating subsequent seeds obtained from the fruits of the self-pollination.

1 Like

I dabbled in tissue culture a long time ago. You are certainly right about the hormones, but the most difficult aspect is preventing opportunistic microbial growth. Haha, all in all cloning by rooted cuttings seems so much easier. I may give it a try even though I really don’t have a good place for another tree…unless they don’t mind growing by a creek in a wooded area. Can always try.

1 Like

But how can you know for sure unless you try?! :wink:

1 Like

if you still have access to tissue culture reagents, jujube tissue seems quite resistant to microbial infection. the least likely to need sterile conditions, so may be donet as a home-based operation.

we are seriously considering buying tissue culture kits, but still doing some research.

1 Like

Thanks Raf. My ‘new and interesting’ projects list is on overload. I need to clone myself to get them all done, LOL.
So, have you known jujubes to grow well on a shady river bank? Didn’t think so myself. So I may try a few cuttings just for grins and give any successful ones to my sons.

You’re so welcome Anne, and thank you :slight_smile: And same here, also wish had enough time to do all the projects simmering in my little brain…

i see you’re in Virginia, unfortunately jujus won’t do well in shady areas, especially if grown outside of sunny southwest america… They will probably survive and even produce flowers, but very unlikely to bear fruit.

keep us posted! self-rooted jujus are quite in-demand, as you may have inferred from recent correspondence on this thread.

Teapot jujube - not my tree.

3 Likes

“Pepper” jujube. Not my tree.

7 Likes

The Top 7 Health Benefits of Jujube Fruit

https://draxe.com/jujube-fruit/

2 Likes

My Chico’s. Planted 18 months ago, from Burnt Ridge. Lots of fruit, precocious & productive. Mid size. Hard to describe taste; sweet/tart & juicy; my wife & her Korean friends love its taste, but 2-3 are enough for me

6 Likes

Bob,

How productive is this Chico? Looks like it is a bit larger than Honey Jar.

Tony