This was my first year grafting anything and it went great!
Out of the 29 non-avocados I bench grafted, 3 were my late-season grafts and I just grafted them a few days ago, 3 failed, and the other 23 are thriving! The three failures were all very thin scions I got for free from an exchange, and one was actually grafted for me by an expert, so I think they just may have dried out too much before I acquired them.
This was a very good learning experience. I tried a lot of different things, mainly sourced from here (thanks all!) and YouTube. I did a mix of whip grafts (couldn’t get the tongue figured out), cleft grafts (for the other thin scions), and used my cheapo omega tool. I wanted to see which method worked best for me but they all worked really well, so that was a bust. I have a lot more trees growing than I expected to, but I guess that’s a good problem to have.
I’m not sure what my avocados are doing as they’re all still green but don’t seem to have grown at all, but I’m optimistic.