2021 Ohio Pawpaw festival

After being cancelled last year, it’s on for this year.
September 17-18-19 Albany Ohio.

A open air , out door event.
Music
Pawpaw talks
Pawpaw contest
Pawpaw / fruit enthusiasts.
And plant vendors .
Vendors selling plants , that I know of…

Companion plants
Five springs farms
Integration acres
Peaceful heritage nursery ( @Blake ) one of our members.
And I … Tree hugger tree nursery. ( Hillbillyhort)
I will have some really nice grafted persimmons in tree pots .
Of course pawpaws ,etc…
Seeing how most nursery’s are sold out for the season , this may be a good opportunity to get some nice trees …
Have fun.
Meet some fruit enthusiasts !
Hope to see you there !

9 Likes

Wish I could come back. But it’s not in the cards. Enjoy and here’s to good weather! (2017 was HOT) :hot_face:

I’d like to attend, but it’s not likely this year.
Thanks for sharing the Festival information.

Link

1 Like

I’m planning on being there! I was just at Companion Plants last Sunday. I didn’t know that they were going to be at the festival. I’ll be sure to stop by your booth to say “Hi!” and see what you have to offer. :slight_smile:

Edited to ask: This will be the first time going for me, I’m assuming that they will have actual paw paws from different tree varieties that we can buy to try. Is that the case?

3 Likes

It depends :neutral_face:
Fruit from named varieties for sale is dependent on individuals bringing them in.
In the past luminaries like Neal Peterson and Jerry Lehman would bring loads of fruit and sell it.
But Neal no longer attends and Jerry has passed away. So I’m not sure if others are carrying the torch.
There should be at least some wild fruit to sample. Also, the contest entries are usually cut up and shared with the crowd.
Have fun - I’m jealous!

Anthony

1 Like

I see. I’m going to be pretty disappointed if I can’t buy named varieties to try. :frowning: I have several planted here on the property, but it will be years before they start producing. Even still, I’m sure I’ll manage to have a nice time. :slight_smile: Thanks for the info @TrilobaTracker :slight_smile:

1 Like

They begin to bear about 5 to 7 feet tall. No matter if 3 or 15 years before they reach that size.
A bit peculiar.

1 Like

I need to take better care of mine. I have the book for the love of Paw Paws, but I haven’t gotten around to really reading it. I am always SO busy with my hands in so many different pots. I’ve got to buckle down and figure out how I can get them to grow faster!

3 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5 uses small amounts of urea to get good growth.

3 Likes

I can get fast results by fertilizing…but then you have to get the garden hose out…dried soil and fertilizer combination can cause something even less desirable: death of the plant.

I let nature take care of things usually.

2 Likes

Do I have to buy tickets online or can I buy them at the gate?

1 Like

We bought at the gate. But that was before COVID was a thing. But I’m pretty sure you can just show up.
You could try emailing them and confirming, and also asking if they know what kind of fresh fruit availability there will be.

2 Likes

Yes, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try. Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the reply that I got (for inquiring minds and interested parties :slight_smile: ):

"Yes, tickets can be purchased at the gate. Weekend pass is $50; Friday only pass is $15; Saturday only pass is $20; Sunday only pass is $15. Kids aged 12 and under are free. Discount offered to active/retired military and seniors (ages 60+). Parking is free. Early bird weekend passes can be purchased for $40 online.

Not sure what fruit will be available…it has not been the best year so far!"

1 Like

I bet somebody has some or some sort…even if not a bountiful year.

(I had a good apple crop).

1 Like

Just heard that NC-1 won best pawpaw and Potomac got third place. Not sure about second place or Biggest Pawpaw.
:trophy:

6 Likes

Finally the official Best Pawpaw winners:
1st Place – George Hale with NC-1
2nd Place – Austin Cliffe with Tollgate
3rd Place – William Woodcroft with Wabash

I’m really happy for George. He’s been suffering a lot of health issues and could not attend in person. He’s such a nice guy. Never met a stranger and always smiling.
I haven’t met the other winners but I’m sure they’re awesome folks too :sweat_smile:

3 Likes