2021 summer lotus flowers

The second year the lotus plants will have flowers earlier and more. So try to protect them through winter, you most possibly can see flowers. If no flowers, more leaves.

I grind on the concrete floor till have a little bit opening and then put in water for 1 or 2 days. You can peal the shell of the bottom by hands.

I have a dwarf lotus in my fish pond, it flowers every year without much fuss. But I got this idea of having a regular size lotus into my head, hence the torture began.

Had this regular lotus plant in the fish pond for a few years, it survived the winter fine, but it never flowered. So I put it in the basement last fall and put it out on deck this spring, hoping it will flower. It did grow much better, put out a lot more leaves, much bigger leaves. But still no flower. Next year I will try your compost + chicken manure method. Do you use fresh chicken manure? Or it need to be composted first? I have to find chicken manure first.:slightly_frowning_face:

Mine grew all summer in my pond (from seed) and still never flowered :(…somehow ill have to overwinter them inside.