2022 Fig genome sequencing project

Here’s an update on my fig genome sequencing at the Arizona Genetics Institute.

The chromatin DNA sample preparation has been completed for F. carica specimens Bardajic, Filacciano Bianco, Burgan, Janice-Kadota Seedless, and Nuestra Señora del Carmen, plus F. palmata specimens “Ice Box” and “N1”.

Preparation of additional F. carica specimens Enderud, Capri V, Snowden, King, Osborne Prolific, Adriatic, Martinenca Rimada, and Violette de Bordeaux will begin next week.

Samples of winter crop (mamme) synconia skin were also collected from F. carica and F. palmata for RNA sequencing. The QC report has just come back, and indicates we will be able to use the results to distinguish between F. carica, F. palmata, and F. carica x palmata.

6 Likes

Very cool. What is the goal of the project? Are you having a core facility analyze your results? Will you make the data publicly available? Quite interesting to be able to distinguish between some of those cultivars with RNAseq data, I would not have anticipated that.

A description is HERE :slightly_smiling_face:

No. I’m competent in that arena. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes. :slightly_smiling_face:

I did not say that, instead I expect to distinguish between species of F. carica, F. palmata, and hybrids of those two species. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is pretty cool and I appreciate your work!

1 Like

The lab preparation and CTAB analysis is now complete on all 15 samples and they are waiting for their turn in one of two sequencing machines. I don’t know the length of the queue in front of mine. Each sample will require 3-8 days to sequence.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Today I dropped off leaf samples of Croisic for sequencing at the Arizona Genomics Institute. It will be the 16th fig cultivar in the suite.

2 Likes