2022 Japanese Beetle observations at my location

2022 Japanese Beetles

20220519 found about 4.

20220527 found about 30-40.

20220626 found about 4.

20220712 found 1.

Listed are some rough estimates of the timeline for Japanese Beetles at my orchard for 2022. Most mornings I walk through my small orchard observing what is happening to each tree or vine. Prior to the beetles arriving I normally have a cup of coffee in one hand and a box cutter knife available if needed. During the beetle period I carry a small spray bottle of soap/water or Pyganic. I zap each beetle and stink bug that I see. Overall I don’t know how effective my method is but it makes me feel better. Last fall I put out some Milky Spores so I hope I start eliminating some of the beetles so I can go back to carrying a cup of coffee while I do my morning walk around.

4 Likes

I hand spray stink bugs too. I think the population numbers can be drastically reduced because these dead bugs can’t reproduce.

I have a problem with solitary(non-swarming) locusts over-wintering in bushes surrounding my property. They eat my apple blossoms in the Spring so starting last summer I started hunting them. I killed at least 150 and this year there’s no blossom damage.

I have a Fuji tree that is the closest tree to the bushes and hasn’t fruited in 2 years despite a gigantic amount of flowers being destroyed, and I finally figured out why

3 Likes

I will try to record the timing and numbers for 2023. I must say that at the hight of season would expect more than 40 on each of the 3 mature hazels.

1 Like

I probably had more than 40 on some days. My intent was to document when they appeared, a mid time, and a rough ending. When my muscadines are blooming is when I start seeing the larger numbers.

I also try to eliminate stink bugs as I make my rounds.

Curious how bad this year is for you with Japanese Beetles? I’m in OH and in walking my 20 trees yesterday I had multiple hundreds that appeared within 24 hours. Favorite trees were a sweet cherry, a plum and a hazlenut but with plenty on my apples as well

I’ve never had anywhere near that many in the past, let alone that appeared in 1 day

1 Like

2022 I started seeing less beetles about now and it’s pretty much the same timing this year in Central Alabama. This is my first year to grow pole green beans and I’m seeing more of them on these vines. This morning 20230705 there were only a few on the apples, hazels, muscadines, and plums.