2022 tomato selections

@dpps

Sungold were a favorite of my sisters children. We always grew a few plants for them. We never found another tomato they liked as well as those. It’s a balancing act growing tomatoes between flavor and production. As you know every tomato has its good and bad points. Definately consider the yellow pear Yellow Pear Tomato – Mary's Heirloom Seeds . The red pear is not nearly as productive but exists. Pear tomatoes are given to cracking. They are heavy producers of good tomatoes. Some tomatoes like roma produce very heavy but are meant for paste so they have very little flavor. The tomato im growing above might be ellas pink plum but im not sure unfortunately. As i said its very rare but obtainable.
"Ella's Pink Plum Organic Tomato Seeds - TomatoFest

Early girl is a great choice it should be called dependable like it is. Prefer rutgers over many tomatoes for flavor but early girl might be the wiser choice overall. Brandywine has a great flavor if you can get by the unusual potato like leaves. There are so many good tomatoes. Cherokee purple has a good flavor but it does not produce well. It seemed i was doing 100 times more work for 100x less tomatoes. Y9u can have the best of both worlds and cut your roma sauce with some pink heirlooms. The flavor is deeper and after spices are added i could barely tell the difference.

So what do i have against sungold? Only that it’s a hybrid so the plants will not grow true from seed Sungold Hybrid Tomato, Cherry/Grape Tomato Seeds: Totally Tomatoes

2 Likes

I had a few last year before the fall rains came in force and caused cracking and rot in all my tomatoes. I’d started them too late, though. I’m out of town at the moment, but when I left a week ago “Optimal” had started swelling nicely. I’m expecting that they’ll be starting to ripen in about 2 weeks. I have one vine outside and one in the greenhouse, but they were started around the same time and are around the same stage, with the greenhouse plant just being a bit larger.

1 Like

I feel ignorant, but how do they sell sungold seeds if they’re not true to seed?

1 Like

@dpps

That is a good question. Hybrids are a controlled cross that is repeated Hybrid Tomatoes | Varieties | California SummerWinds

" What Are Hybrid Tomatoes?

Unless you are getting your produce at the local farmer’s market, the bulk of the tasty tomatoes you get from your local grocer are most likely “hybrid” tomatoes. A hybrid tomato, simply put, is created when plant breeders intentionally cross-pollinate two different varieties of a plant, with the outcome being an offspring, or hybrid that contains the best traits of each of the parents. Cross-pollination is a natural process that occurs within members of the same plant species. In hybridization, pollination is carefully controlled to ensure that the right plants are crossed to achieve the desired combination of characteristics, such as bigger size or better disease resistance. The process of developing a hybrid typically requires many years."

So now lets discuss the difference Difference Between Heirloom and Hybrid Tomatoes - Western Garden Centers

"An HEIRLOOM TOMATO is one that has been selectively reproduced for certain characteristics, perhaps a certain trait that is best suited for a growing region or a certain color or flavor. It may be the best one for canning/bottlings because of its acidic content. Or maybe a variety that is huge and juicy, where one slice fills an entire sandwich! Some varieties of heirloom tomatoes include Black Beauty, Brandywine, Chocolate Stripes, Green or Red Zebra, Big Rainbow, and many more. As the names would suggest, heirloom tomatoes come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, colors, and flavors.

Many would argue that heirloom tomatoes are more flavorful. I have personally grown Brandywine for several years and can attest that they are delicious and juicy. They also can grow to be quite large, but the same vine could also produce medium or smallish fruit. They are not completely consistent in size, but always tasty!"

"A HYBRID TOMATO is one that is the result of intentionally cross-pollinating two different varieties of tomato. This means the “child” plant will have characteristics of both of the “parent” plants. These tomatoes can be very hardy, disease resistant, and produce fruit that is consistent in size and shape. Being disease resistant is probably the biggest and most important benefit. There are few things as frustrating as growing a big beautiful plant, have lots of fruit forming, then get a plant virus that destroys your crop.

Some popular varieties of hybrid tomatoes are Big Beef, Cherry, Sweet 100, Early Girl, Better Boy, and Grape.

THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HEIRLOOM AND HYBRID TOMATOES…

…is what kind of 2nd generation fruit will grow from this year’s plant. You can’t be certain what kind of tomato will grow from the seed of a hybrid. Often the seeds are sterile and will not sprout at all. In the event that they do sprout, they probably won’t be the same as the plant you harvested them from. We planted a Cherry tomato two years ago and had lots of volunteer plants growing in that area of the garden the next season. We let a few of them grow and found that the plant produced fruit that was pea size, or smaller! They were delicious but a real pain to harvest. "

Sungold, early girl and others have that wonderful hybrid vigor. So why not just grow hybrid tomatoes? The reason i grow mostly non hybrids is to protect my food source. If someone wants to charge $50 for a package of tomato seeds everyone growing hybrids must pay the hybrid cost. Everyone growing heirlooms saves their seeds and grows the same tomato year after year.

That sounds bad but its still not the end of the world. There are companies out there that are actively trying to control the market on our food supply. If you think that sounds like conspiracy your not alone but it is actually true whoever have the seeds people want makes money. There are companies who want all seeds to be gmo not just hybrids. If it sounds far fetched i agree that is what i thought when people told me in the 1970s we had to protect our seeds. In the 1990s i understood what i was told as a child was true and there are companies altering our seeds. Please read up on that here Monsanto and Terminator Seeds | Open Case Studies .Most of my life we grew some type of heirloom seeds and i understand now we always must do that.

3 Likes

Thanks! It’s amazing to me that the same two parent tomatoes will create seeds for sungolds consistently everytime. Haha, my husband and I have “produced” three crosses, but our F1 offspring are each so different!

Seriously though, genetics are so weird… I am Filipino, my husband is a red-headed mix of Caucasian, and we have:

• one black-haired brown-eyed son,
  • one brown-haired hazel-eyed son, and
  • one BLONDE haired, hazel-eyed daughter. If I didn’t give birth to my daughter myself, I’d never believe she was mine.
4 Likes

@dpps

Your husband sounds like he is part irish and those genetics will hang in there. My suspicion is they will be back when you have grand children some should be gingers like your husband. The children are very blessed with good genetics Filipino and Caucasion. You Got the Luck of the Irish: You’re a Redhead! - ABC News .Wishing you and your children and future grand children much success in tomato cultivation. We must always pass down seeds and plants in my family. Taught my sisters children and many others how to graft to ensure our food supply remains safe. One option you have is to grow sungold in the house and graft it every year to other tomatoes just like we do fruits. Here is a thread about tomato grafting and there are several on the site Tomato Grafting 2022 .In that way you get to have the best of both worlds. Should mention its also easy to root tomatoes. If your growing a hybrid and root it over and over " cloning" the strain never reverts to the undesirable plants. There is always a way to do anything.

1 Like

We have Dr. Oved Schifriss to thank for hybrid tomatoes. Back in the 1930’s, he started making crosses to see which would consistently produce productive, disease resistant, and good flavored fruit. He got seed of an old heirloom tomato known as “Teddy Jones” from the man who had grown it for several years. He crossed Teddy Jones with a disease resistant breeding line and found what he was after. He named it the “Big Boy” tomato which was sold by Burpees.

As noted above, find some Momotaro seed. Momotaro Hybrid Tomato – Tomato Growers Supply Company

1 Like

I failed to grow a Sun Gold from a sucker, people said not to dip the sucker in root hormone, I didn’t, but I have no plant now.
However I have one Black Cherry and one Black Krim from suckers. I hope I get tomatoes from them eventually, right now they look healthy. I also have 3 new variety of tomatoes, not sure what they are, I didn’t label them, but they are potato leaf varieties.

I do like the smaller tomatoes because for me they produce well. I always grow sungold, one small red cherry, a yellow pear and a small oval black. The combination looks so nice on a plate. What I have noticed is the yellow pear tomatoes (mine) are never sweet and really have little flavor. I decided to grow them for their unusual shape. Sometimes its just pretty! This is the first year I have not grown green zebra (I love green tomatoes) because mine, grown in pots are just too small.

2 Likes

As most people find out, Yellow Pear is a hugely productive waste of space. Hibor is an orange pear that actually has a bit of flavor.

1 Like

@mrsg47

Everyone enjoys the yellow pear around here. My guess is like pears we get more sun and fruit naturally is sweeter here. When we taste a store bought red delicious they are really flat reminds me of cardboard but here red delicious lives up to its name. That’s not true of every apple honeycrisp is not nearly as good here as what it can be from the store. Pears are typically very delicious here across the board. With fruit like wine grapes its about as they say location location location. That same sun that makes tomatoes so delicious can make their skins like paper. The best tomatoes ive ever eaten came from here , texas, and arkansas. The watermelons are second to none in those hot climates. Georgia and Colorado peaches are exceptional in those locations they grow. Vidalia onions are really only vidalia in one region. Even honey is regionally good or bad and it’s excellent here. If not everyone can grow those little pear tomatoes good then maybe other varities do better for them. Cherokee purple hardly produce for us here but some people say they do fine for them. Sungold seems good for everyone everywhere so thats likely the big winner in cherry tomatoes for ease of growing. Maybe hibor would do even better here worth a try for sure. Not a variety im familiar with.

1 Like

Yellow pears or most yellow tomatoes I grew are tasteless, the black tomatoes are my favorites. Not only that the yellow tomatoes rotted very quickly, so last year a lot went into my compost.

2 Likes

Hey am I the only one that has a bug nightmare on my tomatoes around this time of year? Some of the tomatoes crack and I get hordes of fruit flies on them. Also lots of stink bugs. I am thinking I need to grow them a different way next year so they get more air circulation. I did put lots of compost on top to try to level out the wet-dry cycles.

I guess there is at least some good news in that all my plants are grafted and they have not started to die back yet. Without grafting all my heirlooms are fading or gone by now.

3 Likes

Fruit flies - and white flies - are regional pests meaning some areas have a huge problem with them. Fruit cracking is another story. It is variety dependent which means you can get varieties with low tendency to crack. Some that crack very badly are Black From Tula, Marianna’s Peace, Black Sea Man, and others that have thin skin. Evening out the watering can help, but it won’t stop it entirely. Burgess Crack Proof is just what the name says, darn near crack proof. It also has very thick skin. Varieties I grow that have few problems with cracking and taste decent include Eva Purple Ball, Lynnwood, Bloody Butcher, Nebraska Wedding (yellow), and Jaune Flammee (orange).

Good yellow tomatoes abound, just have to get the right varieties. Lillian’s Yellow Heirloom, Yoder’s German Yellow, Nebraska Wedding, Yellow Brandywine Platfoot, and Yellow Submarine are a few suggestions. Yellow Submarine is a potato leaf yellow pear shaped tomato. It is my “go to” replacement for yellow pear if someone insists on a yellow salad tomato. Check with Carol if you want seed! She also has a ton of other good tomatoes.

http://knapps-fresh-vegies.com/y.html

I picked a baby tomato hornworm this morning. The other day I saw a baby stink bug near my trash can, I killed it. Yesterday, I grabbed a huge grasshopper with my barehand, actually I had gloves on. So I do have bugs, but not in abundance.

Thanks I’ll try it next year.

Boy Scott thats too bad. My tomatoes just limp along this year. No bugs. A few bird pecks, only because the birds see my cherry tomatoes as cherries! I’m the only one growing stonefruit, pommes and tomatoes on a terrace. Sorry about your tomato sitch. Ugh!

@scottfsmith

Are you strictly organic? If your not some 8 dust will eliminate a lot of those bug problems. We are fighting for everything we get in Kansas. Wave after wave of different pests are arriving. The heat has been intense this year and we have about 30% of our stored water remaining. We have plans if we use that it’s fine.

My tomato’s had a lot of disease this year. They’ve produced pretty well but the plants look terrible. Red and yellow Rainbow has been hit hard. Aunt Rubys German Green and German Johnson also seem particularly bad. Overall terrible growing season for me.

1 Like

@Fusion_power here’s our first Cherokee Jumbo. It had split some because we’ve had a bit of rain lately. But, it’s still a nice specimen, maybe 10oz. I sliced it up, it had a bit of pith in the top, but had good body to it.

Taste was typical of dark tomatoes, that is, not really tart, a bit sweet, lightly smoky, but a bit washed out, maybe because of the excess rain. Plant’s not as big as the others, but seems to have decent disease resistance.

4 Likes