2023 Grafting Thread

I’ve not taken time to try espaliers.

But, the double cleft graft might be a decent method to get your tree going.
But maybe someone else can help you more.

1 Like

Just picked up Flaxen, Cherry Crush, and a couple of others from Skillcult on his website!

4 Likes

2 Yali grafts took, I think they were cleft grafts, one Korean Giant died, it’s a splice graft.
1 Jujube Massandra has something growing outside of the parafilm. This was a splice graft, but I tied it very tightly, plus I used secateur to cut the wood, but better than using the knife like I did the first time. Uneven surface is not good for cambium layer contact. Needless to say I’m a little bit happy.

1 Like

Got done doin two of every variety of apple I had sticks of and had a few rootstocks left over. Tried a few new grafts for kicks. Here’s one.

13 Likes

Finally, Dorsett Golden, Gold Rush & King David Chip Bud Grafts broke dormancy!!

12 Likes

Does anyone have experience with graft chimeras forming on your grafts? I’ve been on the lookout for the last couple years of avocado grafting for any candidates, and might have my first one. I’m curious what others think.

This was a really ugly, deeply split cleft graft that I did about a year ago, and I tied it pretty tightly with grafting rubbers. The two sides of the cleft mostly died, only the bottom of the V formed callus. Here’s what it looks like today (with another new graft on the rootstock shoot to the right):

One main bud grew from near the tip of the scion, but before I got around to cutting off the rubber, a second shoot emerged from the top of the binding. I couldn’t tell if it was from above or below the union, so I cut off the rubber band and it looked like it was from the scion, even though it was under the tip of the rootstock flap that had died back and not callused, so I left it. I also noticed that the leaves had an anise scent (like the Teague scion, but unlike the Hass seedling rootstock).

However, since planting the tree in the ground in the greenhouse this winter, I’ve noticed the two branches look different from each other in growth habit, flush timing, leaf color, and leaf shape (you may notice some aphid damage on the last flush from the upper branch):

Here’s a closer photo of the graft union and where the branch emerges (on the right):

5 Likes

My graft for BFF is now confirmed dead. However I didn’t want to completely throw the stub away, I stuck it in the dirt for now.

I am located in NYS zone 7a. Just received my rootstock and scion wood. I plan on grafting this weekend. Once I bench graft my rootstock what are peoples suggestions to do next? Store them inside in individual planters? Store in fridge grafted? Plant outside while dormant? Years past I left the graft heal inside but feel the trees wake up faster and I’m let down after the stored energy passes and the grafts fails.

This refers to the size of leaves when the understock tree just starts to leaf out, this is a moment when the common wisdom recommends grafting.

3 Likes

I put as many as I can fit in a trug or storage tub with potting soil and holes in the bottom for drainage. These go in an unheated garage when there’s still snow on the ground and when the snow is gone they start coming out in the sun during the day, like I’m hardening off veggies. Then they get planted out.

5 Likes

Thank you!!

AU Producer whip graft to AU Rosa … our cold spell has slowed down progress but it is still making some progress.

Improved kieffer pear bark graft to callery.
One scion is taking off… the other slow going.

6 Likes

It could be a chimera if it shows different leaf from the scionwood. When that branch is ready to use for scionwood, you should move it over (graft) to another tree to preserve the chimera features. Otherwise it may revert back to the scion wood. I have some citrus branch mutations that I separated from the source branch, and it still stayed different than rest of the tree.

1 Like

Inside, outside, heated, unheated…in zone 6b I’ve done all the above and not noticed any huge difference in the percent of graft that take and fail. Have grafted outdoors and potted them at 35 degrees (hard time getting the grafting that done…I’ve learned to graft inside and clean up my mess later)…and left them in a cool room and I’ve left them in a heated room inside a black garbage bag to retain the moisture. I did maybe 30 or so in February and potted them right up. And have done some additions to multi-graft trees outdoors in March so far this year…and have 20 more roots that I plan to benchgraft this evening or soon indoors as the cold moves in outside. I’ll pot them later in 5 or 15 days.
That’ll bring me past 80 in count for the year so far. A dozen pears and 50 or so apples so far.

20 expected Sat and Sunday nights.

3 Likes

This was so helpful thank you!

1 Like

I went ahead and tag with these grafts with permanent.
I think BNR took, the buds are selling, they were not in the pot, in fact they look almost desiccated, so that’s why I grafted BNR.

My Yali pear

1 Like

Love it. Hope to hear how it does.

2 Likes

One Bok Jo jujube scion didn’t take, I had a suspicion about this graft, so I cut the whole thing and regraft, not sure the new graft will take, but I feel better about not throwing anything away.

1 Like

Was about to give up on this chip bud graft of King David.

8 Likes

It a 2 pair night :wink:

We are supposed to get 23 tonight 21 tomorrow night.

Do you protect grafts that are budding out good ?

4 Likes