2023 Grafting Thread

@IL847

Hope they send you some other good stems on your fruit!

2 Likes

Here I am struggling to graft citrus with fresh scions from CCPP ($$$) and carefully looking at several factors like when the rootstock is flushing, temperature outside, protecting grafts, etc and after several failures finally getting somewhat decent success rate. There you are using a puny old stem attached to a fruit onto some random seedling and immediately successful!!?! Not fair :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t know if my Sumo scions from CCP survived or not. I thought they were easy to graft but so far I saw no sign of anything.

I have been looking at the CCPP scions for few years. Its scions aren’t cheaper with the shipping cost. But it has many cultivars that I want to try. So I purposely grow seedings for grafting and hope one of the days I have collected enough seedings. Then I send in a bigger order to get every cultivars that I wanted and done for the rest of 5 years.

2 Likes

Hey all,
I did some peach grafting this year (onto Lovell rootstock) for practice/fun, on about 36 rootstock that I bought.
Grafted a bunch of Purple Girl peaches (side-note: this is the new name I’m renaming Black Boy to when giving away as gifts to people around the community, so I don’t get any raised eyebrows when I tell people the name of the variety … Would have thought RainTree and other nurseries would have renamed it by now as it did raise my eyebrow slightly as well … Although the other name I think I heard for it, “Peche de Vigne”, maybe is too fancy for us Americans).

Anyhoo, Here is a pic of one of the bags i put the grafts into (Its not in the pic, but i’ll throw alot of ProMix-B soil as well into the bag so the roots can grow and not dry out) …
I’ll separate them out in a month when I see which ones are successful.

My friend has them in his heated greenhouse (heat kicks on if its below 55F).

When should I start removing the leafy growth under the graft union?
Should I leave some below the graft for a while to provide photosynthesis energy for the graft or best to just remove right now?
Apples and Persimmon I usually remove that growth under the graft union pretty quick, so was just curious about peaches.

Tagging @Bradybb as he seemed to have some answers about peach grafting above.

Thanks!,
Ari

2 Likes

Not to stray off topic too far, but I’ve even had success rooting the stems attached to store-bought satsumas:

But about half my CCPP grafts of other stuff failed this year, too.

6 Likes

Next time,I will try to root it

Here is a bench grafting video,from Tom Spellman of Dave Wilson Nursery.He gives his take on letting root stock growth happen,continue and when to remove.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=grafting+video%2Cfrom+Tom+Spellman+of+Dave+Wilson+Nursery#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:1e1b2d7f,vid:nuSYbmSgRcY
At about the 3:20 point,he talks about it.

2 Likes

@TNHunter

That turned out great and healed very quickly!

1 Like

Interesting, he says about 2-3" of under-the-graft-rootstock-union growth before cutting that growth off.
I’ll give that a shot in roughly 2-4 weeks then I think.

my apple are making buds. I hope they took, I really took my time with these two.

my really bad, no good, white wine in the garden plum grafts. I had one take last year so, I’ll keep my fingers crossed. they are clumsy and not that well done. I had knife fear that day.

next year will be jujube, pear and anything i can attach to a lilac. in fact does anyone know what will graft to a lilac? anything? even other flowers besides a lilac.

if my big mulberry doesn’t produce this year I’ll be top working it this time next year I think. I’m tired of looking at it empty. it’s 5 or more years old, a sucker from a heavily producing tree from my childhood neighborhood that’s very old. it hasn’t done a thing yet.

3 Likes

I don’t know all the rules related to citrus quarantine, but given that you are not in a quarantined area, you can just get scions from a citrus hobbyist, right? Instead of going through CCPP?

Ok, that makes me feel a bit better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve stopped removing growth below bench grafts until I know 100% that the graft took. I’ve killed too many rootstocks removing growth early. if it gets long I DO tip/pinch the growth in order to interrupt the whole apical dominance hormone thing but I’m not sure if that helps

3 Likes

My other pear graft (improved kieffer) is starting to do better… many grafts looking happy.

:wink:

11 Likes

That is brilliant! I will give that a go.

I have grafted one cherry seedling this year and grafting was successful.
I have made this video about how to graft cherry :).

2 Likes

I posted about watering daily. Here is the reason why. This graft is in a 5 gallon container exposed to the sun and wind. Yesterday we had all day bright sun along with 20 to 25 mph wind which desiccates plants in a hurry. The leaves are curled, twisted, and distorted by the lack of water. They were watered very well the previous day. In one day, sun, wind, and high spring temperatures did this to a Pristine grafted on B118. I watered heavily and today the plant is back to normal. If I had waited another day, this graft would be dead.

1 Like

@TNHunter

Improved kieffer will bury you in pears!

3 Likes

they sound delicious too, that’s a rare combination.

got a AC Harrow sweet coming in a few weeks. will be the 1st. pear i plant on pear rootstock. its on semi dwarf rootstock. sounds like improved Kieffer needs to be grafted to it. :wink:

2 Likes