2023 Grafting Thread

Day 86 for Winter Banana chip bud graft. Made the graft 18-20 inches above seedling rootstock.

41 days for King David & Hawaii modified cleft graft & 28 days for chip bud grafts.

12 Likes

Several weeks back i grafted korean giant, harrow sweet, potomac to a couple of pear trees at my sisters house.

She texted me this morning that some of those grafts have blossoms already.

Wow…

But is that ok ? Should they leave or remove blossoms on a new graft.

They are bark graft to 3-4 inch diameter pear tree stump.

Thanks

2 Likes

I’d not let them fruit until next year. The bloom itself isn’t taking too much energy though…so no biggie. I let the pears alone the second year.

2 Likes

@BlueBerry … thanks… i let them know.

1 Like

Very excited to see some buds swelling on this avocado graft I did a few weeks ago in the greenhouse. The ortet is estimated to be 20+ years old, and was found growing (and fruiting) on the grounds of a senior center in Brissago, Switzerland. The cultivar is unsurprisingly named “Brissago”:

That is the final (5th) variety on that particular multi-graft tree, which also has Duke, Aravaipa, and Linh, along with a branch where I grafted a scion from one of my own seedlings just to see if it might flower sooner.

8 Likes

Are you succesfull grafting walnut? I will try again this year. Please keep us posted on how they turn out.

My Early Mcintosh graft to M7 from last spring…

It is waking up a little earlier than NovaMac.

4 Likes

I’ll provide a few updates. These will be my first grafts; I have not grafted anything before.

I added 3 grafts of black limbertwig high on the sunny side of 3 diifferent established apple trees… hudson golden gem, akane, and a crab apple in my back yard.

Also added 2 grafts of pristene to my Early Mcintosh tree… again high on the sunny side.

Hope to get some Ark Black and a few more Pristine added today.

2 Likes

My first attempt at grafting apples on a crabapple. Grafting attempt includes Oxford Black, Enterprise, Roxbury Russet and Sweet Sixteen. Hoping for the best!

4 Likes

From sunny Jamaica :jamaica:… i know, i know :roll_eyes: i have to remove them, but let me bask in this moment of victory 30 days later​:face_in_clouds:. Winter Banana & Early Fuji .

4 Likes

My Winter Banana from Fedco

Chico jujube

Yesterday I posted the wrong picture of my Figo Preto graft, here is the correct one.

2 Likes

Winn,
Do you grow them in the greenhouse all year, do you get them to fruit here? I have never tried to grow them here
Dennis

1 Like

No fruit on the avocados yet, the first freshly grafted trees were planted in the ground in the greenhouse in spring of 2021, and they are just now big enough they could maybe support a few fruit, but I’ve been pruning and adding other grafts so much that they aren’t as big as they could be, so I’m not expecting any fruit to set until next year. If one or two set this year, that would be a pleasant surprise!

1 Like

The rain seems to help with the growth on my grafts. I have another fig graft that is pushing out, Col De Dame Noir. I’m glad I started out badly with the splice graft because I learned not to take things for granted with the cleft graft.

I also think my recent re-graft of Black Sea Jujube is taking. I’ve read this is supposed to be a good variety.

You can’t stop liberty.

28 day Gold Rush catching up on a 3 month Pink lady graft.

Last but not least, Winter Banana living up to its precocious nature, 24 days.

4 Likes

I grafted 26 B118 apple rootstocks today.

2 - Gold Rush
2 - Kidds Orange Red
1 - Gloria Mundi
2 - Red Gravenstein
2 - Pear apple hybrid
1 - Little Rosybloom
4 - Early Mcintosh
2 - Red Cinnamon
2 - Hanson Red
2 - Somerset Red
2 - Arkansas Black
2 - Glowing Heart
2 - Pristine

Total 26 apples grafted. I also grafted an Ayers pear on callery rootstock. I have about a dozen more pears to graft. I should finish tomorrow.

5 Likes

King David is taking off. I will take some pictures soon.

1 Like

If it’s a lateral bark graft, the horizontal cut in the bark acts like notching and drives some vigor to the scion. I’ve only done a few plums and the 2 that succeeded grew really well, so it may not always work. I’m going to do it to some pears next week, so I’ll report back on how that does.

My count for the season is 93 grafts. I’m pretty sure I’ll end up over 100 for the third consecutive year.
Have at least 3 pear grafts that leafed out this year ,…but the grafted limb never did put out any leaves or anything last year. A little strange…but nice.

4 Likes