2023 Grafting Thread

It looks like the scaffold angle is a little too small

Even if they take, I don’t see them growing much without some heavy pruning in the top.
Too much apical dominance

1 Like

One week later the answer is yes. New bud growth from previous damage.

6 Likes

It may not work. But it’s fun to try.

My plan is to keep the tree topped to 8 feet. It is 10 feet now. I wanted to see if it would take before I topped it this summer. And see how the fruit set. This is year 4 for this tree. The local nurseries say don’t top peaches in the rain or they will get problems. Wait for the dryer summer.

I got the idea watching a grafting video someone posted here on a cherry tree. Using a drill to put high angle channel into the trunk. Then whittling the scion into a hunting spear. And stab. They seem to hold in place pretty well without support.

I also grafted Babcock and Indian free to this tree. But those are grafted on normal branches.

Here is one that probably won’t take but fun to try.

It’s a veteran peach, grafted an Oregon curl free to it, grafted a flavor top nectarine to that, grafted a sweet treat pluerry to the top of that. Had some extra sticks so why not. The good news is the pluerry is progressing. Could be stored energy but I am crossing my fingers…

The tree has identity issues now😂

1 Like

I have to redo my grafts for Gold Rush and Arkansas Black today. My neighbor’s pruner went into my yard and pruned some heavy branches and they fell on my just grafted scions. Oh well, it’s easy to redo the graft, I just have enough Parafilm left.

Can new grafts be fertilized?

This is definitely beginner’s luck. My second graft of BNR took, I definitely didn’t want to buy anymore from HarveyC next year, he’s planning to raise the shipping charge and I think he’s the one who is selling this variety, KMH doesn’t have it.

A small stub of Figo Preto grafted just in case my pot cutting doesn’t work out. I see something green.

My very first successful Jujube graft, it’s Massandra

Sumo bark graft, it looks like tiny green leaves are emerging, I had to remove very thick Parafilm a few days ago.

6 Likes

How did regrafting after the neighbor’s pruner went timber on your graft go?

1 Like

I just redid it yesterday, not a big deal. But I think grafting apple scions is much easier than grafting jujube scions.

Edit to add, this afternoon I found Winter Banana graft took. I think this is supposed to be vigorous grower, it only took 2 weeks, holy cow. Wish all of my other apple scions are this vigorous. Although I read this is not a great apple but I’m turning a non performing honey crisp to something fruitful.

1 Like

I bench grafted some apples and field grafted a few goumis yesterday. Fingers crossed. I tried a goumi a few weeks back, but between not cinching it with a rubber and the seasonal winds, it had not taken. I’ve given that one another go, but doubt it has the juice to take off now. Today was more up-potting a few things because it’s gorgeous out. Mostly plants that live inside my house. They are currently enjoying a soaking and some sunshine while I piddle on the computer.
And, I think I may have made a bad choice on my grafting knife. My attempt at sharpening it does not seem to have yielded the best results.

I’ve got an avocado tree about 3 feet tall that’s doing well. I did 3 grafts last year and one took (my first year grafting!)

my question is about these damn seedlings, my stepson has grown 3 seedlings from non -haas varieties’ seeds in little bowls. can I take a cut from any of these and graft to my bigger tree? will it speed them up, or are they not something I can graft with?

they’re irritating me, just sitting in the kitchen like sticks.

You always remember your first…

2 Likes

If you refer to a successful graft needing fertilizer, unless the soil is totally useless, I would wait until the following end of winter. I use homemade compost about this time of year, when all my fruits are still dormant (far eastern Washington, almost foothills of Rockies in Idaho). I also use a locally sourced liquid fertilizer much diluted. Fertilizing as the industry urges us to use it may push bigger weaker growth & contribute to fire blight - I say “may” - in apples. I also caution against applying it anytime after June so growth can harden off before winter.

These are concerns in my neck of the woods. Your mileage may vary.

Is below weather warm enough for grafting persimmon? My persimmons trees arestill dormant and not showing any green (or swelling) in the buds. Should I wait until more obvious break of dormancy?

I’d wait.

1 Like

I think the best thing would just be planting them in larger pots, they’ll grow faster on their own roots in a big pot. It’ll take a bit for the graft to get going, and it isn’t going to flower any sooner unless you graft it on a very large rootstock (tree stump) rather than grafting on a larger seedling.

If you just want to practice grafting, the grafts should work, though.

1 Like

With the warmer weather this past week… seeing more progress in my grafts…

Orient pear (whip-toung or mod cleft) to callery.

Keiffer mod cleft to callery.

Imp keiffer bark graft to callery.

AU Producer whip to AU Rosa

Carmine goumi mod cleft to sweet scarlet.

9 Likes

Collected some english walnut scions yesterday…going to be at least a month before I can think of grafting them to my various wild black walnuts here in NW Ohio. Sanitized them using starsan and waxed the ends for storage in the fridge.

4 Likes