2023 NEW to your garden / orchard this year?

Would love to see or hear about those NEW things (varieties fruit trees or veggies, berries, cane fruit, vines, garden beds, grafts, critter deterrents, etc.) Anything NEW to your garden or orchard this year.

I am going to be … and have already started adding several new things this year.

Last year i grafted a scion of my early mcintosh apple to m7 rootstock… yesterday evening i got that planted in its new location… where we plan to build a new home in the near future.

It is about belly button tall.

I have a novamac on m7 almost identical to it size wize that i hope to get planted next to it this evening.

I have two new plum trees planted at this new location too.

Shiro front right… AU Rosa back left.

I have also transplanted 2 wild callery to this location which i will be attempting yo graft improved keiffer and orient scions to this spring.

I also have 4 persimmon seedlings in this location that i will be grafting hybrid and american varieties to this spring.

On order (but not delivered yet) which will also be planted there… IKKJ persimmon and Silk Hope Mulberry.

Will add more to this post as all of this new stuff happens this year.

Others are welcome to show off your NEW stuff if you like.

TNHunter

7 Likes

I got one full crisper drawer of bags of persimmon scions-only, so far. It’s full to the top.

5 Likes

@Barkslip … i had our garage fridge crisper drawer full of fig cuttings and other scionwood…

Gave away all the fig cuttings… cleared up plenty of space.

I’ve been dreaming about Silk Hope lately. I’m ready to see if its better than IL Everbearing or not. IL Everbearing is pretty damn good boy!

5 Likes

I can’t wait for Spring, I have so many graftings out there.
Lots of raspberries, lots of figs, lots of Asian pears, and jujubes.

2 Likes

@Barkslip … I think IE and SH are supposed to be similar in size and taste… but SH is supposed to be a better variety for the South East… with origins in North Carolina… and known to be resistent to popcorn disease which is evidently common in the south east… hot humid climate.

2 Likes

I didn’t know about that popcorn disease problem until now. Thanks.

All I see is bragging that Silk Hope is best. It’s not one person; it’s 10.

1 Like

IE is stellar in South Carolina and we also have Silk Hope too but it got burned back last year due to waking up before our last frost. IE tends to wake up late and so far has avoided any early Spring damage.

2 Likes

I observe that also in zone 10b. It’s still dormant here.

1 Like

What’s new:

• New mini-orchard: Oscar, Kokuso and Varaha mulberries, JT-02 persimmons, Redhaven peach, Snow Giant Peach, French Plum, Hosui Asian pear, WineCrisp Apple, Roxbury Russet Apple

• Berries: Boysenberries, Crimson Night and Lathum Raspberries, Patriot, Blueray, Bluecrop blueberries

• New Potted Figs: UCR 271 (Saleeb) Caprifig (this wasn’t looking too happy in the past few days), San Biagio, Black Manzanita, Black Celeste, Verdolino, LaCosta Jewel)

4 Likes

I am taking out my thorn raspberries/blackberries and adding a lot. I plan to expand my thornless blackberries, planning to get more hazelnut in, planning to get seaberries in as I hear they are great nitrogen fixers and make a great juice but do worry about the thorns, getting genetic dwarf nectarines and peaches in, 4 4 in 1 mirabelle plums on krymsk 1, 2 raspberry red nectarine, a all in one almond tree, 2 zee sweet 4 in 1 pluots, 2 4 in 1 pluots, 1 Nadia cherry plum, a medlar, trying paw paw again as my ones last year got destroyed unprotected, I am putting in some more buried treasure huckleberry and the other ground cover huckleberry burnt ridge sells, a Montrose Apricot, 2 Chinese Mormon apricot, 2 4 in 1 cherry, a white gold cherry, a weeping Santa Rosa plum, trying out some emerald carpet raspberries to see if they will survive here, a high bush cranberry, a few bush cherry in the romance series, a ayers pear, a ambassador walnut tree and seeing if a aprium will live here and a orange pippin apple tree. We will see if this is the last editions to the orchard other than my pear that is coming in 2024.

Edit I forgot about my self rooted Illinois everbearing I have coming.

3 Likes

I just ordered 3 Sumo scions, I think that’s the minimum but with shipping cost, I might as well.

3 Likes

I added or will add as soon as they arrive: Peaches: Cal Red, Romestar and Nectarine: Snowqueen

2 Likes

It’s not. More like a smaller cheap chinese knockoff. My crisper is full of scion as well

I have not succeed in rooting the dormant IE, do you mind to share how did you do it?

1 Like

I did not. I don’t have one to self root. Burnt Ridge Nursery sells self rooted IE mulberry for 37 dollars.

3 Likes

I saw that @dingdongsgarden listed it as 9% success, which is very low but nonzero at least! They give some info about their process at the link here:

3 Likes

A member here shared rooting stone fruits method. I will try it this year. But I did similar method before and had never been successful.

1 Like

It looks like the dwarf ones are easy to root. Every year I get a lot of strong cuttings , it will be great they can be rooted, even low percentage. My current IE was airlayed.

1 Like

After work today… got my NovaMac on M7 planted. This was a graft i did last spring.

Looks like it may rain… may have to pause planting for a few days.

2 Likes