2024 Seasonal things to try

I am starting this thread early so I can hold my self accountable when I forget. Please contribute any cool you think is worth trying.

I don’t like to use much sugar but when I do I want it to be worth it. In 2024 I want to try making Magnolia Syrup, Pickles in vinegar and fermented pickles.

Magnolia Petals: Pickles, Honey and more | Urban Herbology (urban-herbology.org)

Mugolio Pine cone syrup and candied pine cones.

How to Make Traditional Mugolio, or Pine Cone Syrup (foragerchef.com)

5 Likes

hmm… that’s different. seen someone make jelly from lilac blooms. never tried it though. there are a few landowners that tap thier yellow birches to make syrup. its tasty but is double the pice of maple syrup as it takes 2xs the sap to make the same amount of syrup from maple. tastes completely different as well.

1 Like

Ive heard the sap flow timing is way different and maybe sort of prolapsed. Ive always wanted to try it out. Lots of black birch here, barely any yellow. People tap various Juglans too.

The mugo syrup sounds wild.

1 Like

I’ve got plenty of paper birch but most are relatively small. Further north there are more and larger paper birch, up there they tap them and make syrup.

3 Likes

I have some yellow birch syrup that some acquaintances of mine made in the fridge right now. It is definitely a different flavor than maple; stronger and more earthy. I mostly use it on thick meaty dishes, such as roasts. Yellow birch are very numerous in this ‘neck of the woods’. Bet if one where to make syrup with Black Spruce it would be quite the culinary experience.

4 Likes

I plan on tapping some of mine. Has anyone tried walnut syrup? Any good?

1 Like

The Youtubers say its pretty good.
(49) walnut syrup - YouTube

In this video she mentions 30 tappable trees.

2 Likes

Good to have options…if something happens to the electric grid, not only are cars going to be parked, but there’s going to be nothing if you turn on the tap.