2024 Summer Vegetables/Melons

So I ordered seeds today. I think I’ll go heavy on vining plants.

Here is my list:

Watermelon
Mickylee (from a forum member)
Moon & Stars Yellow
Orange Crisp

Melon (lost all my research on melons so I just winged it)
Israeli Cantaloupe
Jenny Lind Melon

Summer Squash
King Ka Ae

Winter Squash
Black Futsu

I’ve never grown winter squash. Read a lot of good things about futsu. I’ve also seen it grown on a trellis so I may try that.

I live on a residential lot, so all those vines will cover most of my non-yard areas.

3 Likes

Haven’t heard of a lot of these varieties so thank you for sharing, I’m always looking to collect new seed varieties. What’s your growing climate like (do you deal with a lot of humidity?)? Excited to see how your winter squash and watermelon trials go!

South Louisiana, zone 9a, so yes it’s all about humidity down here. Every night in summer is close to 100 % humidity. Daytime usually so 60% or more.

Complete amateur to the winter squash. Grew a few watermelons and musk melons last summer with mixed success.

Still, they are relatively effort free. I will plant them in raised beds to at least keep the roots from being waterlogged with the rains we get here.

1 Like

I always grow a few tomatoes… 1 row… and 2-3 rows of okra (my fav summer/fall veggie), a few squash (yellow crookneck).

Okra squash onions keto fried… oh man… love that stuff.

Occasionally i will grow watermelons and greenbeans.

Have to stick with low carb stuff here.

TNHunter

1 Like

Now you have me thinking again!

Okra… But fried not as keto. Gumbo of course.

I love them pickled.

I am going to grow pole bean,asparagus bean, lufa, winter squash. If I have enough space left, I am going to grow wax corns. Of course, some peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, and leafy veggies. This year, I am trying to grow roselle in pots

1 Like

I am trying roselle this year as well. Last year I grew luffa and it was an ant highway/squash bug magnet.

Yes ants love the honey on lufa . Sprinkle some DE around the plant solve the problem

So I only ordered seeds for 6 summer plants. I had to order from 4 different companies to get them.

4 of the 6 have arrived… The other seems to be a bit lost.

Seminole Pumpkin was the hands-down winner for winter squash here last year… I had a near-total failure of weed control, but despite the bottom half of the garden being a forest of higher-than-my head Johnsongrass and pigweed, I still ended up with nearly 100 winter squash fruits, most of which were Seminole. South Anna (SeminoleXWaltham butternut) was #2.
Had a great crop of Roselle. It’s ‘cousin’, ‘Cranberry Hibiscus’ was a MONSTER… plants got to be 10 ft tall, sprawling, and eventually collapsed; never got around to flowering.

2 Likes

@Shibumi, what are you missing?

My garden is already started with peas and potatoes. I have brassicas in trays in the basement waiting another week to go in the ground.

Sorry I didn’t respond. Busy work week.

I got what I ordered, thanks. I’m not too ambitious but at the same time what I have will capture most of the area I’ve slotted for it.

I’m going the easy route this summer for veg/melon. 3 watermelon (orange crisp, monkey lee, moon and stars), Israeli cantelope, Jenny Lin melon, black futsu, king Ka ae zuchinni.

started my futsu and melons among other winter squashes this week. I like to start them in white disposable coffee cups that I save from work; they seem big enough to keep the plant happy until may when I can plant them out. just enough dirt that I don’t disturb the roots too much when moving them

we had futsu last year and they are lovely. medium, or small plants, lots of squashes from each. they look like little pumpkins almost, and have a really nice nutty taste. some kept well up until a month ago when we ate the last one, I store my winter squash in crates in the basement.

I am planting more candy roaster this year as we ran out early, everyone loves them and they keep really well. also more latah squash. not planting blue Hubbard for the first time, we still have 2 here that may not get eaten. planting the candy roaster replaced them in our diet, and the plants produced more, so I’m switching to those.

I’m going to try artichoke this year too though I’ve rarely had any success as our season is so short. I’m planting into the fabric pots and will bring in to the greenhouse at end of season, hope they will finish in there.

I have orange glow, farthest north, canary, collective woman and midget melon just starting too. thanks to the big melon thread here I was able to get some to produce last year, a first. having the short, very hot dry season makes some things more difficult to grow

edit: my Seminole made one pumpkin last year but the plant was enormous. I ended up using the flowers in stir fry as time got too late. I’ll try them again as it made really good ground cover in front of the house at least

1 Like

So this weekend I’m planting:

King Ka Ae (Korean climbing summer squash / zuchinni)
Black Futsu winter squash

Jenny Lind Melon
Israeli Cantaloupe

Orange Crisp watermelon
Moon & Stars (yellow) watermelon
Mickylee watermelon

I may still do some bell peppers and maybe, maybe, a paste tomato or two…but tomatoes are such pest magnets. Persian cucumbers.

And I promised myself to do a proper herb garden for cooking.

I do have a question: For the melons (musk and watermelon), is there any benefit / detriment to planting straight in the beds or small pots first?

No issue with late cold here. My only thought is it will be easier to keep the soil moist until a few leaves if it’s in a smaller container. I don’t know if there is an issue with transplanting on the vines early growth.

1 Like

All curcurbits can be started in large containers meaning roughly a pint to a quart of soil. Do not leave them in the containers more than 16 days, they get rootbound if left longer. Very bright light and a small amount of fertilizer are needed as well as regular watering.

1 Like

Thanks.

That’s about as comprehensive an answer as I’ve ever received!

Hmm. Since I’m only growing a few or each, even with only several seeds I can try it both ways to see how the next 2 weeks go.

:+1: