Same here, what varieties of either are we talkin?
Everything above the graft like leave about 3/4” inch of wood over the bud chip?
Yep, like that, as long as the plant is healthy and actively growing. That should force sprouting within a couple weeks.
Nice looking graft congrats.
Great thanks!
held back a few apple scions just in case round one isn’t happy.
i also put toka plum and a nectarine onto sand cherries- hoping it’s not too early for them. they are budding though. i also held back a few of those to try again (and again and again) if needed.
waiting until May (?) i think for the peaches
Just topworked some of my elbertas on Rootpac-R over to nectarines today. Looks like I’m a little late even though our nights are still cold. Anyone know the fate of these grafts now it’s bleeding profusely? Used clefts and bark grafts, and I’d really want to keep them if I can (all hard to get varieties unfortunately), but they’re dripping everywhere constantly now even after cutting slits into the trunk below. Since the bottom pic was taken, the whole trunk and everything is soaked in running sap/liquid. Will it calm down, and when it does, what can I do?
(I know I should have left a nurse branch or two, but oh wellll…. Tried doing that on the second tree and it’s still oozing everywhere anyways, so I’m holding off my grafts till it slows)
Thanks
-Eddie
I’m not sure yet esp for the asian pears (i only order 1 scion of each but they alot of times include an extra scion… so ill post that next weekend if i have extras) but apples i def will have extras …
Hudson’s Golden Gem, Calville Blanc de Hither, Esopus Spitzenburg, Arkansaw Black, Ashmead’s Kernel, Cox’s Orange Pippin, Esospus Spitzenburg, Golden Russet, GoldRush, Staymans Winesap (think i also got Giant Winesap from scionwood event), Cinnamon Spice (thin scionwood), and 1 scion of “Zuccalmaglios Reinette”
low chance of scionwood but possible will know better next weekend:
Azeroly Anisé,
Fenouillet Gris,
Freyberg
Zabergau Reinette
For each variety, I order two pear scion wood each time, and I hope to get 3 successful grafts for each variety, unless I am making up for too many failed grafts of a past year. There are two varieties in the past, that I had only got one to two successful grafts each.
I have never gotten bonus scion wood for pears, Asian or European
My friend is dealing with the same with a fig graft. It just keeps on leaking clear fluids. I presume it’s just h20. I’ve lost grafts to water near the union but assumed it was condensation from a bad wrap with the buddy tape. Now not so sure.
Hope your grafts take.
For fun/curiousity .. a quince on Winter Banana interstem on an asian pear tree (be4 sealing it up)…
I heard about Winter Banana being used as an interstem between (euro?) pears and apples so not sure if this’ll work. PS i feel like the interstem could be a small length, I should have shortened mine maybe?
Also did medlar on quince interstem, quince on medlar interstem, medlar, and maybe did 1 quince … on the Asian pear as well. Will report back in couple months if any take.
@armyofda12mnkeys armyofda12mnkeys how are your. Mulberry grafts doing?
Looking for some help, grafted this tree a few years ago. Anybody have any idea what is going on with the base of the tree? If this is something to be concerned about?
Hey, so my own mulberrys from last year are just budding out now.
The rootstock to graft on is being shipped right now by OGW so ill graft prob in a couple weeks once that rootstock recovers n buds out.
Looks like burr knot.
Pear grafts. Disease resistant & long keeping varieties. Mostly whip and tongue, a few simple splice grafts also. I forgot how to make the groove for the tongue until about halfway through.
The Kaspar’s Winter & Deveci had swelling buds. Hopefully they be okay.
Edit: List
D’Anjou
Kaspar’s Winter
Deveci
El Dorado
Gem
Shenandoah
Potomac
Seckel
Harrow Sweet
Harrow Delight
You are right… i did not get bonus scionwood of Asian pears. Just 1 of each so that will be in low supply. I might have a small 3-4" cutting of the “Gourmet” asian/euro hybrid (on the thicker side) if anyone interested in that one. I can take a pic if worried how thick it is.
Are you wrapping it tight with a rubber band and clear grafting tape after? cutting with a sharp grafting knife?
I can’t tell easily how crisp the angle is… it’ll probably work out if wrapping tightly with grafting rubber bands… but with a nice evenly-sized scion and rootstock like that i would not do a “Z graft” and just do a whipNtongue or cleft graft. as it’ll be harder it to get “knocked off” i think.
I’ve had some not perfect clean angles and they still take … but like this is one of the best pics of a clean “whip n tongue” graft in below link by @TNhunter. Sometimes i get them that clean too, but not often :).






