$300 Pawpaw

I have trapped a few but they seem to keep on moving in. I evict one, the next one moves in. I have traps, noise threatening maker, electrical wiring near the back of the fence but every year, we have the same problem.

1 Like

has

1 Like

Courtney, I can’t recall if I shared this little video before . . . but it’s pretty funny. (sort of!)
If all else fails - you might want to consider doing what this guy did for ‘his’ groundhog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkOmaLlXiVs

2 Likes

Lol my husband thought he was cute until the darn thing pooped all over the yard and he stepped on the poop. I found him putting wires all around the back of the yard and buy bulks of moth balls and who knows what else he is doing out there…the man vs. groundhog…lol

3 Likes

@Courtney
The pic of the “chucky” inside your fence almost looks like he dug under it? They are accomplished excavators :slight_smile:

Your fence also could be shorting itself out via contact with foreign objects or loose wires, etc. Have you checked it? (if you want to zap yourself, easy to test, of course!)

I do have groundhogs for sure. I have trapped many and relocated them, but as has been mentioned, another one always moves in (or the same one, though i take them at least 10 miles away). I’m starting to have ethical qualms about relocation though. So i hope the fence works.

1 Like

My husband has a charge checker to check on it’s strength of charger. He checks it everyday. He wired 2 gardens and all sheds. He also has a live wire in the yard just in case someone comes in the yard. Also, a camera. My neighbor used to steal fruits and veggies from our garden. They throw their junks onto our property. So, anyone or animal can get zap at any time if they don’t know the layouts on this yard. I got zapped a few times already and it was painful. My husband’s jaw was numbed when he got zapped. Good luck to strangers and wildlife!:crazy_face:

3 Likes

Wow, so yeah sounds like you have a very crafty groundhog. Sorry to hear about it! I hope my local varmints aren’t as wily as yours!

2 Likes

The trick is to write all your expenses down in a notebook and don’t ever finish adding it up and then lose that notebook!

We are here to help enable your decisions. That’s a nice fence and a very valuable paw paw!

5 Likes

Hahaha thank you!
I am curious to see if it gets any bigger.
I believe they usually size up quickly at the end (based on observations of wild trees).
It has grown a bit in the last 2 weeks but hoping for a whopper of course! :rofl:

4 Likes

If it’s not the groundhog, it’s something else!

2 Likes

Man alive!
Are you in the city? Maybe you have extry-hawngry varmints…

Lol; 15 min away from city.

1 Like

Sorry Courtney . . .
about the damage. And about the fact that I don’t have another funny video for you!

• Karen
1 Like

That video is funny though. Have you seen them up close? Lol they hissed like a snake if they feel threatened…As much I like them, they are headaches.

I didn’t hear of their name “whistle pigs” until a few years ago.
They make a crazy sound indeed!

Well, the $300 Pawpaw dropped yesterday!
The Fort Knox approach worked!
I also did decide to put a panty-hose sling under it and sure enough sometime between Saturday and Sunday afternoon it dropped nicely into its little cradle.
It’s not fragrant or soft except at the scar. I don’t think it was blown off though we did have a heavy rain shower yesterday.
I hope it still ripens properly.
It’s a great rounded shape and very clean.

3 Likes

Did you include the cost of panty hose to the $300 price tag? :grin:

6 Likes

HA!!! perfect!

1 Like

Be sure to eat it before it rots…they don’t keep for long.

Well, as I feared, the fruit was a dud.
It didn’t seem right to me that it dropped but was not really soft or fragrant at all.
It did eventually start smelling great, like a normal pawpaw, and so I cut into it last night.
The flavor was off - kind of like a bad cantaloupe- that meaty flavor. The texture was good, and it was very fleshy, only 5% seed weight.
But there was some odd gelatinous stuff between some of the seeds too. Similar to the stuff you see in a very overripe pawpaw, but this was only near the seeds and the fruit definitely was not overripe.
Oh well - I’ll have to wait another year!

1 Like