39th parallel very rare pears

Like many of you i got some ultra rare pears this year from @39thparallel . These pears are so rare i have my doubts anyone has ever heard of them. Let me know if you know anything about them
#1 lowell

#2 Hope Lutheran

#3 Father Faila

8 Likes

Are they new this year? I don’t even see them listed on their website.

1 Like

Clark, what is the uniqueness about them?

1 Like

@JVD @IL847

Literally i know nothing about them yet. I think @39thparallel is still growing them and other ultra rare pears in limited numbers. It will be awhile until i know anything about them. I grow others like Treasure and i think saint Nicolas. These pears are so rare i’m not sure if anyone else has all of them. He gets them here and there from other growers. He grows lots of variety. The pears and other ultra rare fruits i grow he collects scion wood from and offers those in his nursery. There are more types of pears here at my property than anyone needs or most want. I’m growing them always looking for that special pear that does really well here.

5 Likes

@39thparallel is not just a pear guy his real love his apples and let me tell you i’ve eaten apples you cannot even imagine exist. The apple x pear crosses are the weirdest and im still working on processing that. Literally have eaten hundreds of different pomes at Mikes orchard. Go and visit him several times a year as time permits.

Those pears were from custom propagation project for someone at the University of Iowa. Father Failla (spelling?) and Lowell are Historical significant Iowa Pears I sampled one of the Iowa pears today Father Failla (I think). It’s clearly a different breed. My impression is that’s it’s a storage pear that would easily keep past Christmas in a root cellar. The Lowell Pear is described on page 35 of this publication Famous_and_Historical_Trees_of_Iowa http://publications.iowa.gov/11341/1/Famous_and_Historical_Trees_of_Iowa003.pdf

3 Likes

I think an “Annotated Bibliography of Pears” is in order.

2 Likes