5 rules to reduce maintenance

Over time, I’ve noticed that certain activities and areas seem to be more work than others. And sometimes I never manage to tame things. I’ve had a 1/2 acre yard since 2010 and have been learning the hard way ever since.

I’ve also been taking care of the landscaping at our rental properties, so that has given me even more chances to learn, as well as a bit more pressure to keep things tidy. And generally, I have found it much easier to keep the rentals at least relatively neat, compared to at home. So part of the following list came from thinking about what I’d been doing differently.

1.) Anything you can mow, do it. And set things up so that you can mow as much as possible.

• As nice an idea as a low raised bed (I’ve tried both logs or stones, as they are free…), it make it much harder to keep the weeds under control.
  • I’m not thrilled with them, but at least taller raised beds (maybe 2-3 layers of cement blocks) have a purpose (less bending) and are harder for weeds to grow in the edge, leaving a straight line to edge.
  • Mowing is by far the fastest way to cover large areas and is less loud/messy/work than weed whacking.
  • Anytime you are getting an area ready to mow or even think you may start mowing it in the future, remove rocks WHEN you see them. It’s a lot easier to remove the rocks during the winter, than once the weeds have grown up to cover them in the spring.

2.) Anything you can’t mow, weed whack.

• But try to do it BEFORE the weeds go to seed (I’m still working on this…). It’s especially important if the weed is an invasive like bindweed or Japanese knotweed (I break out the herbicide for that…).
  • Good eye and ear protection is important here.
  • The 40V/56V trimmers are OK from a power standpoint, but the earlier low voltage ones were under powered and a pain.

3.) Last resort is mulching to keep weeds down.

• You’ll need to add more mulch in the future, something which I don’t do regularly and thus forget until well after the area is choked with weeds.
  • The one type of mulching which seems to work pretty well for me is when I blow leaves to a fence. A 3’ wide, 1-2 foot tall pile of leaves seems to last until next fall, when I can do it again (hard to forget when I need to get them off the lawn…).
  • Often, I get some weeds anyway, which means hand weeding, the most time-intensive and unpleasant way to remove weeds.
  • Avoid using rocks, especially the big ones you get from digging, as weeds/grass like to grow from all the gaps. Even worse, removing them is a lot of work due to their weight.
  • My mulch of choice around trees is leaf mulch/mold. It looks like black dirt, so it is relatively decorative and doesn’t damage the mower when you run it over (unlike wood chips).
  • If you are going to mulch a bigger area, at least make sure to put down a layer of cardboard or landscaping fabric. And if you put down cardboard, make sure to hold it in place with something like wood chips or leaf mold, not rocks, as they will be work later to move. It also looks better and sometimes wet cardboard will break and later fly around if only rocks hold it down.

4.) When pruning overgrown bush/vine start from the center/base.

• In the past, I often would approach from the outside, trying to gradually reduce the size, making a ton of painful decisions. It was a lot of work, both physically and mentally. And I would generally end up with too much plant still left.
  • The solution is to look at it for a minute, then decide on a few cuts which will remove a large amount to the plant, yet still leave enough to work with.
  • For example, I had a massive hardy kiwi that I’ve been trying (unsuccessfully) to reduce in size for years. It had maybe 10 vines coming from the ground, several very large (3"+). I cut everything except 1 large and 2-3 small vines, then followed the cut ones outwards, removing them.
  • Once you’ve cut it off at the bottom, there isn’t any more agonizing about “should I cut this? here?”. The decision is made and you are just getting rid of the dead wood.
  • Same thing can be applied to trees- remove the big stuff first.
  • It’s also physically much easier to make 3 chainsaw cuts, than to make 30 smaller cuts.

5.) Whatever spacing you have, it would probably help to be wider

• I wanted (and still want) to grow everything, even though I have limited space. So, I started out with the tightest spacing that I read about (2-3’ for small stuff and 5’ for trees, with 10-12’ between rows).
  • I think it can do OK, but is a lot more work. If I didn’t have the rentals, I may not have had a chance to experiment so much with the spacing. But once I had some that were spaced 8-10’ apart (and without raised beds and edging), I noticed that it got a LOT easier.
  • Now, for new plantings, I do 10-12’ spacing for trees and 4-5’ for smaller bushes like black currants.
  • I’ve even gotten to the point of moving some large trees to leave 2 trees at 10’, rather than 3 trees at 5’.
  • For vines, especially vigorous ones like Kiwi and grape, make sure you have a good trellis and leave a LOT of space on ALL sides. My first kiwi planting had currants, gooseberries, retaining walls, etc on all sides, which made it a nightmare to prune. And there is (or rather needs to be) a lot of pruning for hardy kiwi.
  • Spacing things better also helps with spraying and general disease pressure. I’ve also started getting more draconian about keeping things short. I don’t want to have to climb a ladder to thin, spray, or pick. Maybe a step-stool, but not more than that…
38 Likes

Bob,

I like the way you think.
We are a no till type. Why walk in mud in your garden. The photo is our tomato patch. I can mow right up to the mulch. We also used cardboard to establish the edge. In the past I just had holes every 3 ft with one tomato. But then I had to mow between.

Fruit trees are mulched with 6 ft dia circles. The entire area is terraced, each level 6 ft wide, dropping down 3 ft. Garden first level, then 3 peaches next level, two tart cherries next level and one open level for future expansion. All is enclosed in an electric fence. I now have gravel at the base of the fence to keep weeds suppressed but I need a better solution. Maybe mulch over roofing shingles?

Early this spring I trenched a pex line to the garden with a timer. We travel a bit and one long dry spell can hurt the cukes and tomatoes.

Show us some photos

6 Likes

Thanks for the great list Bob.

This is something that took me a long time to catch on to. Now when I look at the next tree to prune I first see if there are larger chunks I can completely remove. A few cuts there can equal many dozen small ones. I also end up doing a better job overall in terms of keeping the trees open (and disease-resistant).

I am of two minds on close planting. It let me trial many hundreds of varieties of fruit which was a lot of fun. Now I am generally less keen on it, my most recent trees I planted 15’ apart and over the years I have thinned my stands radically … I had 50 apples in a 50’ row and now I have only half a dozen left in that same row. So it can be a good thing for experiments, as long as you don’t overdo it and make it impossible to prune (which I did on a few things).

13 Likes

One thing, specially if you have animals, is that your orchard is an ecosystem that works like a living breathing body. There are inputs, outputs, and how things flow are either conductive or a hindrance to efficiency and energy utilization.

Take potting a plant. Is your potting station in one place? Your dirt in another? Your supplies at the shed? Water source over there where you need to drag a hose and coil it back? And the final place for the plant in yet another? I have two potting areas, one is next to the place where I keep potted plants. The water is at the station, it has a stash of medium at waist level, supplies are under the bench, and the area for the pots is getting a new drip line this year.

Look at the way you move around your orchard. Organize things and stations where they are used. The things that require the most energy (soil preparation) should not be the farthest from where it goes. Think of it as preservation of energy. It doesn’t sound like much having to move a hose around but all those discrete steps add up.

9 Likes

Thank you, @BobVance. The only thing that I might like to add to that comprehensive list would be on point #1, and that would be the option to use a walk-behind string trimmer for mowing instead of a rotary or reel mower.

A friend gifted me the older model belonging to their family, and I discovered just how effective it was for general purpose mowing and edge trimming of the grass at my old house. I cannot speak for how effective the newer models are at keeping one’s clothing clean, as mine has an auxiliary shield like the one pictured below.

th-963626258

3 Likes

I should have made that a rule- to keep maintenance low, don’t have potted plants :slight_smile:

I regularly violate that rule, but I’ve been trying to limit myself mostly to sizing young plants up in pots to either give away or plant myself. The plan shouldn’t be long term in a pot, as it takes a lot of extra work.

Things like jujube seedlings really need to spend a few years in pots before they are big enough to plant out. At least, it takes that long with the level of care they experience at my hands. Maybe it could be done faster with more regular watering…

Coil it back? I do that annually each fall when I winterize things. Otherwise, the hose stays where it was last used, until it gets dragged onto a patio or driveway for mowing.

For rentals, I try to do a bit better, though that could just mean chucking it in the back of my car to bring it with me (I like the fabric ones which are lighter).

I hadn’t considered that, but it seems like it would be easier for edging. Though I’m not sure how well it would do on uneven ground (steep hills, big rocks, swampy areas, etc) which is where I do a lot of string trimming. Also, I don’t see that option for Ego (56 volt battery, which I use for mowing, blower, snow blower, pole chainsaw, etc). This is the closest I see:

I tend to have a hard time bringing myself to remove trees. I either wait until they die, or go through a lot of effort to move them.

But, if I decide that I just don’t like the fruit (like an American persimmon I have), I don’t have any compunction about pruning it fairly low with a chainsaw, then graft-barking a non-astringent variety in there. At least, that is my plan, as soon as temps warm up enough for persimmon grafting (high 60’s & 70’s, I think).

I bet that would work from a weed suppression standpoint (until they start growing from the mulch). I’d be a bit worried about what would leech out of the shingles though when covered with mulch. Though it sounds like the terracing could make it hard to get a mower to it.

I love that idea. Have you done it before? Also, do the tomatoes have any problems competing with the turf?

I’ll see what I can do, but a lot of pics would be things like “This is something to avoid…” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve come to most of those conclusions myself, although I use wood chips for mulch. I figure it also has minerals and stuff that trees need.

And your number 1 is number 1. I’m always mindful of what will make mowing more difficult. Makes me crazy when other people leave stuff in the paths. I also leave room do drive a vehicle around the house at all times if possible.

Getting rid of stumps, which I’ve done in earnest of the last year or so, is also in pursuit of making things manageable by mowing. It’s the best way to keep down blackberries, thistles and other nasties. Just let the grass outcompete them.

5 Likes

They do have walk-behind gas edgers, which are usually powered by 4 cycle engines so that there is no mixing of oil and gas. It does take the strain off of the back to not have to carry the weight of the machine, and they are better than a stick edger where an edging doesn’t take place with any frequency and the growth is heavy or there is no channel already cut.
th-1119313438

The walk-behind string trimmer head only operates in the horizonal plane. Think of it as being a rotary mower, but lighter as well as much more maneuverable, and when you need to get close to a wall, a fence post, a stump or a rock, you can get right up on it, or do light to medium brush mowing and not worry about bending a steel blade by hitting something that is hidden. The model that I have has an axle pivot function that purports to allow easier mowing of ditches and banks. It also has a head that accepts pieces of trimmer line that you cut to length from a bulk roll of material, instead of using expensive precut lengths.

General picture, not of my specific model.
th-4122876344

I think an additional method to reduce maintenance would be to take some cuttings of the Reservoir Fig (in order to reduce it’s size), and then distribute those to some people on the forum who would love to have such an excellent variety! I could send you the address of one such person! :wink:

my goal is no grass to mow, at all. I’m nearly there

I’ve only got an eighth acre to grow on. half is already mulched down with cardboard then chips, about six seven years ago. then I just keep adding chip drop on top on the pathways. mounded beds. trees along the edges.

the other side is getting closer. I’ve got a few little areas where the grass is stubborn- but I don’t water it, so by June it’s dead and dry. I’m covering a patch at a time there

I would love to get ground cover to grow but it gets so dry here not even clover or succulents can get a start. they do fine and then die off in August and don’t return

edit to add I even tried mint. died.

4 Likes

My neighbor mows 4 days a week… he even mowed on Easter Day. I have decided to grow things to eat in areas that are arable and i have decided to grow things for pollinators in areas that arent.

Now that i mow to only create compost and improve the health of my walkways its so much more rewarding to me. I threw several wheelbarrows of grass clippings and leaves onto a bank where not much grew…now its exploding with growth… wild natives and things that ive not seen ever grow there.

Been doing the same in my ‘hobo food forest’ I have a 100’ X 5’ swath that is near a fence… i throw seeds in there and if i find suckers of my plants or things i just plant them in there. I have forgotten half of the things that i planted in there i know that there are some persimmons, peaches and lots of cane fruits… i throw leaves and grass clippings and used potting soil… and wood chips… i think it will be neat to just walk by it and taste this or that… seeing things ive forgotten about… and letting nature eat whatever i dont want. Habitats for this and that as well.
No real maintenance except for tossing in nutrition and leaving things alone the best i can.

12 Likes

How did you use the cardboard to get the edge?

1 Like

If you want a better weed supressor… under your mulch layer… and you are like me and happen to have some left after a home build.

Consider using gypsum board (often referred to as dry wall board).

It will last many years under mulch and suppress anything from growing up thru it.

It can be easily cut to the length/width you want.

As it breaks down slowly over the years it supplies calcium to the soil.

I learned about this and used it when establishing a seed producing bed for ginseng.
Ginseng needs high levels of CA in soil to thrive.

My soil was low in CA… but my ginseng thrived with strips of gypsum board under the mulch.

14 Likes

I used to think that the more trees I planted, the less lawn there would be to mow. But really, the amount of effort greatly increased, both in mulching the trees and edging the pathways.

Even if you decide to mulch the entire area, I think that would be more work than just mowing. Just walking back and forth with the mower isn’t that tough, but bringing wheelbarrows of woodchips all over is a lot of work. It may not be as often, but it isn’t full to shovel woodchips and lug them around. It’s something I’m trying to do in areas where mowing doesn’t really work (too rocky or a steep slope), but it’s much harder. Now, for 1/8 of an acre, it is very doable. It’d be harder for the 1/2 acre I have at home and tougher still for the ~2 combined acres from the rentals.

I’ll have to keep my eye out for when they start offering this from either Ryobi or Ego (the two kinds of batteries I have in quantity). I have a couple gas mowers, but don’t use them much and am not planning to go back to gas. Aside from the extra maintenance that gas tools require, I like the exercise I get from mowing and don’t really like walking around in exhaust fumes.

Wow! Maybe add some leaf mold compost so that there is more water holding capacity? My town collects leaves each fall, composts them, then makes them available for residents (free) once they are a fine black soil. Can really add a lot of organic material to the soil…

That sounds like a full-time job. Some of the rentals grow really quickly and need weekly mowing (when grass is growing fastest, maybe 10-14 days when there isn’t rain). I have another rental where the soil seems to be much poorer and dries out quickly. During the summer, sometimes I can go a month between mowings, I actually prefer somewhere in between. The dry one can be a pain to mow because it gets bare spots and can be dusty when mowed.

In terms of growing fruit (or at least jujubes), the one which grows quickly is great. Trees get big and bear precociously, 10+ feet tall and bearing decent crops in year 2-3, On the other hand, the trees gradually died at the dry lawn. I tried again this year, but rather than planting only in soil, I mixed in 6 buckets of leaf mold for 2 trees. Un-amended, maybe mint would die there too :slight_smile:

And the other properties are a spectrum between these 2. It really drives home that growing conditions could be quite different even in the same town.

I do use woodchips- I just try to use them in places that don’t directly abut the lawn, as it is easier to mow a bit of smoother mulch.

Good idea. Per Tony’s suggestion, I’ve used a bit of leftover cement board around trees. After a few years, it is badly cracked, but still holding together. And I can mow over the edge. So, this is one possible approach I may use more of. Though it is a bit ugly, so it could be limited to my backyard.

I checked online and for drywall, you may want to avoid the fire retardant (acidify soil) and mold-suppression versions (kill beneficial fungi).

2 Likes

Those are some great ideas. Thanks

My neighbor only mows twice a week :smiley:
He does use his blower 4 times a week.

3 Likes

Don’t buy more trees than you can really deal with! You find that out only after you have bought too many trees.

12 Likes

I have no grass and mulch around my fruit trees, so far zero work, lazy gardener here, lol. I actually learned about mulching from the Back to Eden guy in Seattle.

3 Likes

Most of my leaves are from oak trees. I like them for mulch but they blow around and I don’t like the way they look. I now use two mowers. One for grass and a free one I was given dedicated for chopping oak leave. I never bother sharpening that one. I use a blower to move the leaves. After 4 or 5 dry days I go over the leaves with the mulching mower and they become little pieces nickle size. No bending and they keep the weeds under control.
I remember the days I would spend many hours raking up leaves.

5 Likes

I have another neighbor a couple of miles down the road in our farming community that has some kind of industrial golf course mower… somehow his is much better than this one with a cab and i think it has A/C.

His lawn is meticulous and pristine. But everything he has is that way… he is the kind of guy that would sharpen a nail before he hammered it in. Great guy…and he really enjoys mowing.

When i drive by his house the wow factor lasts about a minute or two… sometimes i can barely keep my vehicle between the lines passing unmowed hillsides and ditches… im always amazed at the things that grow wild and how beautiful nature can be.

2 Likes

We have a Swisher walk-behind string trimmer. The head tilts for trimming edges. They sell both push ones and self-propelled ones. They work great on rough ground. I don’t handle pull-cord starters on gas engines well, so would welcome a battery-powered one. We already have a number of 40v Ryobi tools and just love them, but they haven’t come out with a walk-behind string trimmer yet.

1 Like