5 rules to reduce maintenance

It doesn’t sound like you are using the right attachment if you have the most powerful Stihl and you can’t go through thick weeds. If you are cutting thick grass and stemmy weeds, use a 3-headed metal blade. If you are cutting brambles, use a chisel toothed steel blade. If you are cutting woody growth, use a chisel tooth blade. I’ve cut acres of woody stuff with only a FS-55R (also a FS-91 and FS-111). I’d recommend anything over a 90, because it has a solid shaft driver but even my 55 will get 'er done.

I messed around and made a video with some Renegade blades:

2 Likes

I have a lawnmower just for mulching. I was pruning shrubs along to property line today with the ground littered with branches up to 1/2 inch. I go over them a few times with the mower and the resulting small pieces dry up to a brown mulch in a week or two. If I don’t want the mulch I just put the bag on the mower after mulching.

1 Like

I’m not scrolling all the way back up, but I don’t think I said my whacker doesn’t go through the thickest weeds here. String is all I care to use. I have rocks upon rocks that can be hard to see once the weeds are up.

1 Like

One thing about whackers is that most aren’t powerful enough to efficiently chop out thick weeds.

Fair enough. I just wanted to help out in case you were under the impression a weed whacker couldn’t take out thick weeds.

2 Likes

Per internet advice that I read years ago when doing research, I now mow grass at the highest height that the mower allows. This would solve the issue of scalping, though I settled on the advice in order to help suppress the growth of weeds and decrease mowing stress on the grass.

1 Like

Follow up on the irrigated tomatoes shown above. They are thriving but, I’m sure the 12-12-12 helped a lot

1 Like

I mulch with leaves in the fall, when i have leaves i have a lot of mature oaks. I use the bag that can’t with my lawn mower, and set it to halfway between “bagging” and “mulching”, and the lawnmower picks up bags of loosely shredded oak leaves. I drop those on places where i want mulch. Two birds with one stone. I had to do something with those leaves anyway, to get them off the lawn. (Which is a mix of grasses, clovers, and other low soft green things.) I find they work well to reduce the weeds in the raspberry patch and around my shrubs.

1 Like

As a general strategy this sounds close to the approach I have been wanting to take. I also have a lot of rocks and sloping terrain and want to avoid “sterilizing” potential areas for flowering plants with grass. But there has been a trade-off in certain areas that are so vigorous that I feel like I need the grass to help suppress invasive vines.

Can you provide more details on what weed whacking gear you use? I have a home-gamer quality Ryobi electric whacker with a normal head and a brush blade. The brush blade is technically supposed to be used with a gas powered whacker but can connect to my electric base if I hold it with the trigger facing upward. After a year of use it’s started to get very noisy and I’m not sure how much longer it will last with this kind of use. Is there a good quality electric setup you would recommend?

1 Like

FS 110. Their largest 2 stroke gas whacker. I need all the power it has to manage my property.

2 Likes

My riding mower gives me a lot of “steps” according to Google Fit, presumably from the jostling of my phone or the meandering on the GPS.

2 Likes